• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Would you do this trade?

gotbeer

Just thinking stuff up.  No facts or anything to this trade proposition.  Just a talking point.

Lee ($25, $25, $27.5 Option)

Howard ($25, $25, $25, $23)

Palpelbolm ($13, $13, $13 vesting option)

Utley (FA)

For

Kendrick ($9.35, $9.5)

Trumbo (Arb 1)

Frieri (Arb 1)

No cash trading hands, so the Angels would get a big bill.  

No no no no no no.

Howard's contract makes Hamilton's look decent. Utley is a FA and going to be grossly overpaid on his next contract and can't stay healthy.

Lee is already 30.

Why would anyone want to make this team older and more expensive? For $200 million, Frieri and Kendrick we could do a lot better than 3 years of Cliff Lee and 3 years of an above average reliever who is on the decline.

utley is better than kendrick and papelbon is an upgrade over frieri, but those contracts wouldn't be worth the trade. cliff lee is in his mid 30s, is owed a lot of money, and asian pitchers usually don't age that well. the howard contract might be the worst in baseball history.

I haven't looked at the numbers but is Utley actually better than Kendrick? I know he is better when he's on the field but does the lack of playing time for Utley give Kendrick the advantage?

Not to mention the massive contracts the Angels would take on, all to make them older and worse.

Precisely my thought on it. Just the opposite of the direction we should be going. Trading players in their prime years for more expensive players well past theirs. The youngest player on this list is Papelbon, who is 32.

I'm sure the Phillies would love the deal. It would let them off the hook for a bunch of big contracts for declining players.

Precisely my thought on it. Just the opposite of the direction we should be going. Trading players in their prime years for more expensive players well past theirs. The youngest player on this list is Papelbon, who is 32.

I'm sure the Phillies would love the deal. It would let them off the hook for a bunch of big contracts for declining players.

Obviously you aren't familiar with the Philly way of doing business. I'd bet Amaro is on Philly'swin.com right now figuring out a way to get Pujols and Hamilton from us right now. "You think we could get them for Dom Brown?"

Obviously you aren't familiar with the Philly way of doing business. I'd bet Amaro is on Philly'swin.com right now figuring out a way to get Pujols and Hamilton from us right now. "You think we could get them for Dom Brown?"

We need to hook up with Philadelphia, then - just not in taking out their trash.

I think the Halos should give the big dollar contracts a rest for a while.

financially, they may have to.

at this point, I think the Angels should probably look to the Billy Beane model and really slow down the spending for the next 3 to 5 years to pay off what's on the books now -- and that's a  lot.

Arte may not have any other choice.

and, in any case, how could that be worse than what we've seen since 2010?

I haven't looked at the numbers but is Utley actually better than Kendrick? I know he is better when he's on the field but does the lack of playing time for Utley give Kendrick the advantage?

This is the healthiest Utley has been in years and as a result he's had better season than Kendrick, 3.0 WAR to 2.3. but he's also making 15 mil and is a pending FA, whereas the Angels have the rights to HK for two more years at 9.3 and 9.5 mil....   Man, you have to go all the way back to 2009, to find a season where Utley played more than 115 games.

BTW, Howie in interleague games for his career (97 games) .329/.360/.467.