• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Outfield Logjam

SoWhat

I know Calhoun has only played in 6 games this year, but if he keeps this up then we have a serious logjam in the OF. Personally, I'd rather see him start over Bourjos. Calhoun and Trout make a dynamic one-two punch atop of the order, with both having good patience, speed, and pop. We all know Hamilton is a lock to start RF next year because of his contract, so who goes between Trumbo, Bourjos, and Calhoun?

Trade Trout to the Cardinals for Oscar Taveras, Carlos Martinez, Trevor Rosenthal, and Michael Wacha.

Then next year you have this team:

CF Bourjos

LF Calhoun

DH Pujols

RF Hamilton

1B Trumbo

2B Kendrick

SS Aybar

C Conger

3B Green

SP - Weaver, Wilson, Vargas, Wacha, Richards, eventually Martinez

CL - Rosenthal

Plus you have one of the best hitting prospects coming up.

I know, I know - I wouldn't do it either - and neither, probably, would the Cardinals or Angels, but it would be mighty tempting.

Seriously, though, I addressed this in a prior post. Keep them all and have a rotation. Let the player playing best start, which means Trout starting the rest rotation through the OF, 1B, and DH. And of course someone will get injured.

The point being, you give Calhoun the 4th OF position and he starts 100+ games.

Trade Trumbo. Calhoun won't have the power of Trumbo, but his BA/OBP% and D should make him just as, if not more valuable of a player. Bourjos stays because they need him in CF to help keep Trout as healthy as possible for as long as possible. Trout will get his starts in CF, but Bourjos will help with the workload

I see Calhoun as a .290/.350/.450 hitter with 20 stolen bases and very good OF defense. I see Trumbo as what he's been his whole career - .255/.303/.478-ish with below average defense. 

Bottom line, IMO Calhoun>>>Trumbo. Trade trumbo for pitching. Go with LF: Trout, CF: Bourjos, RF: Hamilton/Calhoun, DH: Calhoun/Pujols, 1B: Pujols/Calhoun.

pitching, pitching, pitching.  We need it.

Frieri is not a closer.  We need one

Kohn, Jep and DDLR are the first three out of the pen with Williams as the long guy. 

Burnett should be back next year and Maronde can be the situational lefty. 

Rasmus has potential and Morin is on the horizon

Richards could be a #5 but I'd like him to be #6

Blanton and Hanson have to go. 

So you need to fill 3 spots in the rotation.

If you sign Vargas then that's two.

Trading Trumbo and Howie should allow you to fill both of them.  Leaving Bourjos, Trout, Hamilton, Pujols, Calhoun for DH, LF, RF, CF, 1b.  Shuck is your 4th OFer

If you don't sign Vargas then Richards becomes your #5

If you can find a way to get a high end starter in a three team deal than moves Howie and Trumbo then you do it and make Richards your #5.

If you have to move Aybar instead to get pitching you do it.  That would be the biggest positional downgrade potentially and you'd have to get a AAA guy that is ready with front end potential. 

If you have to move Bourjos as well, you could do that and get a stop gap at 1b/DH like Morneau until Cron is ready. 

Green play 2b.  A downgrade from howie, but if you get the right pitching, it's worth it. 

Nelson get's a shot at 3b.  You probably need to add a backup util that can fill if necessary.  Someone better than the Fields, Harris etal crew.

A combination of Trumbo, Kendrick, and potentially Bourjos and Aybar should net you a #2 or potential #2, a closer, and a couple of other guys that are soon ready. 

The offense is weaker and again reliant upon Pujols and Hamilton, but if they fail, at least you have the pitching to bail you out.

Calhoun RF

Trout CF

Pujols DH

Hamilton LF

Morneau 1b

Aybar ss

Conger C

Nelson 3b

Green 2b

Weaver

Trade for a #2

Wilson

Vargas

Trade for a #5 or Richards

Trade for a potential closer

Frieri

Burnett

Jep

Kohn

DDLR

Maronde

Williams

pen depth of Rasmus, Morin

good to go.

Seriously, though, I addressed this in a prior post. Keep them all and have a rotation. Let the player playing best start, which means Trout starting the rest rotation through the OF, 1B, and DH. And of course someone will get injured.

The point being, you give Calhoun the 4th OF position and he starts 100+ games.

I saw that post and liked it, but wouldn't it work better if we dealt from our surplus to acquire a pitcher?

Jepsen has had one good season which was last year.  I don't think he's an answer in the bullpen even though he'll probably shine on another team.  I don't think they need a #2 either.  Wilson fits that role fine.  They need to re-sign Vargas and try to get a good #3 or #4 that is young.  

I was looking at the FA class this offseason and it's pretty weak in terms of pitching.  I hope Dipoto can get creative at the winter meetings and get us some cheap, young pitchers with lots of upside.

Agreed with a few posts above, I wanna see more pitching. I'd part with two of Kendrick, Aybar, Bourjos and Trumbo for two high-end young, Major League-ready, controllable pitchers (Highly doubtful, I know) I'd also extend a qualifying offer to Vargas and end up with two 1st round picks in next years draft.