• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

For the 30 and over crowd

My wife wanted a van when we had our third child and ended up with a Toyota. It was ok but always felt top heavy and the engine was placed van style in between the drivers seats. Not much power so uphill climbs were always in the slow lane. It was a dealer converted cargo van with flip down bench seats in the back to make a huge bed for camping.

CC-27-010-800.jpg

It was later replaced with the worst nightmare minivan, the Ford Windstar that had 3.8 Taurus engine and front wheel drive system that when it wasn't blowing head gaskets the transmission would give out. It ate tires and got crappy gas mileage but the one thing going for it was the air conditioner. There was never a day that was hot enough to beat it down and we drove through the Nevada desert in July and our kids were begging for us to turn it down they were cold.

35116449.jpg

We were rockin' one of these chick magnets ...

4869651528_9d708588f7_z.jpg

It was the fake woodgrain trim that bagged the chicks, wasn't it?

About the original post - I would hardly call the Chrysler minivan a POS. It created an entire market segment and it sold tons for Chrysler Corp.

Now, whether you were embarrassed to be seen in one as a kid is another matter entirely. Fortunately I was well into adulthood when they came along. I've ridden in one, but never owned one - or any other minivan, for that matter.

Chicks dig fake wood.

wait, what?

Too late. You said it.

I also noticed that all three vans in the original post are rocking the same look. Don't know how the women stayed away.

I remember J. C. Whitney selling fake woodgrain kits, so you could actually add this crap to your vehicle if you were fortunate enough to get one without it. Bet those were hot sellers.

My wife wanted a van when we had our third child and ended up with a Toyota. It was ok but always felt top heavy and the engine was placed van style in between the drivers seats. Not much power so uphill climbs were always in the slow lane. It was a dealer converted cargo van with flip down bench seats in the back to make a huge bed for camping.

Come to think of it, most minivans produced over the past 20-30 years have been nightmares in terms of engine placement.  Simple maintenance extremely difficult because the engine is barely accessible.  Anything major goes down, you're looking at several thousand bucks.  Our Dodge Caravan spent three weeks in the shop once.

It was the fake woodgrain trim that bagged the chicks, wasn't it?

About the original post - I would hardly call the Chrysler minivan a POS. It created an entire market segment and it sold tons for Chrysler Corp.

I'm pretty sure it was cost and financing that made them sell, not dependability or anything like that. 

My mechanic later told me it was remarkable to see a Dodge/Plymouth caravan still on the road 10 years later.  They improved in future generations but the 80's/early 90's vintage was the worst.

I'm a 40 something. Too old for the minivan. We had the brown '74 Pinto wagon. I actually learned to drive in a '76 LTD. Never owned another Ford until my company gave me an Expedition.

My family always had at least one Pinto when I was growing up.  We had this bad boy for a while:

1977_Ford_Pinto_rear.jpg

My brother later converted it into a mini-truck that we dubbed Pinchero.  

My family always had at least one Pinto when I was growing up.  We had this bad boy for a while:

1977_Ford_Pinto_rear.jpg

My brother later converted it into a mini-truck that we dubbed Pinchero.  

Pincheroo would have been a good nickname too.

We went from a 70's Toyota Carolla Wagon to a (brand new!) 1991 Buick Century.

photo-16.jpg

1991_Buick_Century-2.jpeg

We gave the Toyota to my Grandma and by the time I graduated high school it was still going with 200k+ while the Buick had 80k and all new electrics and tranny.

I remember the freer days.  When you weren't constrained by seat belts, and can run around in the back.

I actually saw this on the road the other day. It tripped me out, because I hadn't seen kids in the back like that in a long time.