• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

For those that haven't given up on the season yet. . .

What I'm reading here is, most of our players aren't worth much... which may explain our position in the standings.

I think, to be more specific, it's more like - all our best players are cheap, and our worst players are expensive.  90% of this team's financial woes stems from the contracts of Wells, Pujols and Hamilton, and there's nothing we can do about it.  We were lucky to get something from the Yankees to take Wells, and Pujols and Hamilton are the contractual equivalent of nuclear waste at this point.  

Dirt cheap quality players under control beyond this year:  Trout, Bourjos, Trumbo, Frieri, De La Rosa, maybe Conger with the way he's been playing as of late, and maybe NOT Trumbo unless he finally turns it around again.  Since trading guys like this bring no financial relief, you'd better get something really good in return.  

Players under team-friendly FA contracts:  Weaver, Wilson, Aybar, Kendrick.  Our two best pitchers plus our middle infield.   We have no viable replacements for any of these four, so they'd have to bring a younger/cheaper equivalent in return.  Weaver can be safely excluded from any trade talks regardless, since not only would it be the ultimate dick move to move him after he took a discount so big that he pissed off the rest of the league to stay here, but he has a full no-trade and will almost certainly NOPE any attempt.  

Crap players nobody wants:  Callaspo, Blanton, Hanson, Shuck.  These dudes are basically release candidates just to get the dead weight off the roster.  I wouldn't have said this about Callaspo before this year, but he's somehow turned into a hack defensively, and who wants a light-hitting 3B that can't field.  Shuck has a respectable OBP, but zero power and fields like an anxiety-ridden 12 year old.  

This pretty much leaves us with the guys that have expiring contracts (Downs, Vargas) and Richards.  I still think Richards needs a spot in the starting rotation for the remainder of the season to see if he can provide value as a starter.  Why trade for something (young, cheap pitchers) when you may already have it on the roster.

jmo everybody not named trout. we're headed nowhere this season so why not try for massive trade packages like the doggies did last year?

the results wont be any worse than what we're seeing now.

also give our minor leauge guys a shot- see if some of them can hack mlb. again it wont be worse than whats out there now.

we need to try to build for the future with mlb ready minor leauge guys either obtained through trade or the draft.

They can't trade Bourjos before the non-waiver deadline.  He'll still be on the DL. 

If they trade Kendrick, who's going to play 2nd?  He has a team-friendly contract and there's no reason to move him unless someone is willing to pony up a huge package for him--which isn't going to happen.

As for Downs, sure, who cares?  He's very good, but a free agent at the end of the year.  Take what you can get for him at this point (though, again, I doubt it'll be much).

Taylor Lindsey.

I know some people on here are big proponents of his, but how realistic is it to expect him to step in and even be a replacement-level player at this point?

Who cares about replacement level? Replacement for what, exactly? This team is in serious trouble and they need to get guys up that can develop for the future. When you are 11 games out and going nowhere, the concern is not about now. The concern is developing players for the next few years. How can that be any more painful than what we are watching on the field?

The longer they wait before throwing in the towel and going a new direction, the longer the current pain is going to last.

Who cares about replacement level? Replacement for what, exactly? This team is in serious trouble and they need to get guys up that can develop for the future. When you are 11 games out and going nowhere, the concern is not about now. The concern is developing players for the next few years. How can that be any more painful than what we are watching on the field?

The longer they wait before throwing in the towel and going a new direction, the longer the current pain is going to last.

He's a 21-year old kid with 3/4 of a year at AA.  Kendrick, flaws and all, is an established, valuable major league talent who is signed to a very reasonable contract.

Again, unless you can get something great for him, it seems pretty foolish to just dump him so we can bring up a prospect. 

He's a 21-year old kid with 3/4 of a year at AA.  Kendrick, flaws and all, is an established, valuable major league talent who is signed to a very reasonable contract.

Again, unless you can get something great for him, it seems pretty foolish to just dump him so we can bring up a prospect. 

I don't think anybody is saying to just dump him to bring Lindsey up. I think what people are saying (myself included) is see what you can get for him. If you can get a really good package, pull the trigger. If not, keep him.

Lindsey is currently hitting .278/.334/.435 in Arkansas after starting out .208/.259/.338 in April. The Texas League is a pitching-friendly league.

Howie hit .342 with an ops of .961 in Arkansas.  We've seen how that translates to the majors.

How do you think .278/.769 will translate?

I would wait a year on Kendrick.   By next July he'll still under contract for another 1 1/3 seasons, and thus not a rental for a team to acquire.

I would trade Callaspo now, which forces them to play Jimenez here regularly, and see what he can do.

Then if he hasn't progressed at the plate with reg at bats, go get a stop gap 3B after the season while Cowart gets ready.

Face it, and I'm probably the last person to finally admit it, Callaspo ain't getting back anywhere nears where he was for KC.

I would wait a year on Kendrick.   By next July he'll still under contract for another 1 1/3 seasons, and thus not a rental for a team to acquire.

I would trade Callaspo now, which forces them to play Jimenez here regularly, and see what he can do.

Then if he hasn't progressed at the plate with reg at bats, go get a stop gap 3B after the season while Cowart gets ready.

Face it, and I'm probably the last person to finally admit it, Callaspo ain't getting back anywhere nears where he was for KC.

After the absolutely disastrous year that Cowart has had, I don't even know what to make of him.

Howie hit .342 with an ops of .961 in Arkansas.  We've seen how that translates to the majors.

How do you think .278/.769 will translate?

Not the whole story. In ARK, Howie was HBP more than he walked (7-6) , had over a 3:1 K-to-BB ratio, and was aided by a high BABIP (.354).

In 363 AB, Lindsey has struck out 58 times against 31 walks, and has a .304 BABIP.

In other words, Lindsey is not the hacker that Howie always has been. He may not be a star, and he'd almost certainly have some growing pains for a team that isn't making the playoffs anyway, but, at this point, if somebody wows JD with an offer for Howie, whose value has probably never been higher, he should pull the trigger, and then we'd have the rest of the year to evaluate Lindsey.

They don't have to trade Howie, but it would be interesting to see what possible return they could get if they do.

Unless they find someone stupid enough to take the Albert Pujols and/or Hamilton, any trades will be mostly academic.  The Angels could be desperate enough to trade away what little youth they have, Trumbo, PB, Richards, for more washed up vets...the "quick fix".  Seems to be their pattern the last few years. 

The problems with this team aren't going away with minor trades.  Beyond Trout, not much to offer to gain quality starting pitching, 3B, or catcher, all continuing needs.