• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

FREE KOLE CALHOUN

Chuck

Baseball America: Kole Calhoun, rf, Angels: Calhoun played just four games this week thanks to the Triple-A all-star break, but he made them count. The 25-year-old Salt Lake outfielder went 10-for-19 with a homer and three doubles, raising his line for the year to .336/.407/.561 with eight longballs in 214 at-bats.

Why is Brad Hawpe still on the Angels?

I really hope they don't end up giving him away to another team. If he can get consistent AB's and somewhat prove himself, then I think it'd make Trumbo trade bait for a top pitching prospect this off-season.

This. But sell Trumbo high. Right now he's struggling, if he can get his BA and OBP into the .270s/.340's and hit 35+ bombs..sell him.

If Dipoto is into any type of advanced metrics he should be...high OBP, power, speed, defense...I 

I think Dipoto knows that if he brought Calhoun up he'd still be behind Shuck for starts which is why bench fodder like Hawpe and Cowgill are on the MLB roster

I really want to see Kole play but I can see why they haven't called him up given that Shuck is playing well and consistent - a .290, .340 OBP.

Now I personally wouldn't mind seeing the Angels trade Trumbo, and would much rather see him go than Bourjos, but then who plays first base? Pujols can't do it all the time.

What I don't want to see happen is Calhoun packaged for a pitching rental in a desperate attempt to sneak into the playoffs. Calhoun is the type of player that has less trade value than real value and a good GM will see that. Let's hope Dipoto does as well.

I really want to see Kole play but I can see why they haven't called him up given that Shuck is playing well and consistent - a .290, .340 OBP.

Now I personally wouldn't mind seeing the Angels trade Trumbo, and would much rather see him go than Bourjos, but then who plays first base? Pujols can't do it all the time.

What I don't want to see happen is Calhoun packaged for a pitching rental in a desperate attempt to sneak into the playoffs. Calhoun is the type of player that has less trade value than real value and a good GM will see that. Let's hope Dipoto does as well.

I'm kind of hopping on the "Trade Trumbo" bandwagon but you bring up a good point - he's really our primary 1B for the rest of the season.  However, even if we trade Bourjos that doesn't open the door for Calhoun - not with Shuck and Hawpe (Shock and Awe?) on the roster.  Scioscia would play both of them before Calhoun.  Scioscia seems to have a blind spot for younger players or rookies unless it's patently obvious - Trout - that they deserve to play.

If Dipoto is into any type of advanced metrics he should be...high OBP, power, speed, defense...I 

I think Dipoto knows that if he brought Calhoun up he'd still be behind Shuck for starts which is why bench fodder like Hawpe and Cowgill are on the MLB roster

Dipoto could dump Shuck today if he wanted to.  He could also dump Hawpe and Cowgill.  If our GM really thought Calhoun should be on the big club, he would be.

I'll be the first to say that Sosh handles young players horribly, but this is still something the GM could fix.

Baseball America: Kole Calhoun, rf, Angels: Calhoun played just four games this week thanks to the Triple-A all-star break, but he made them count. The 25-year-old Salt Lake outfielder went 10-for-19 with a homer and three doubles, raising his line for the year to .336/.407/.561 with eight longballs in 214 at-bats.

Why is Brad Hawpe still on the Angels?

Because Jerry Dipoto wants him to be.

Me either, then again, the person with the field manager's title makes these decisions. Calhoun is forgetting, by evidence of his SLC OPS, that he needs to add a big dose of productive outs and baserunning blunders to warrant a call up,

So it was the field manager that made the call to promote Trout last year or is this one of those times where its MS fault because people just want it to be?   When things work out, it seems it's always Jerry Dipoto's call.  When a signing goes bad or a call up fails, then it's the owner or the manager.

Angel fan logic.

Poor Jerry Dipoto.  Impotent GM can't tell manager to play a guy, unless a guy comes up and gets played... if they succeed then he forced the manager to play the guy.   As much as I like what Dipoto says, I find myself getting bent at how much Angels fans try to discount his involvement when it suits their agendas.

I too would rather see Trumbo moved providing Calhoun isn't doing the AAAA player routine.  Of course, we will never know unless he get's called up and played.  In a world where the GM is a saber guy, KC, has a lot of value.   Why JD isn't bringing him up and pushing Scioscia to play him is a mystery.   Maybe he wants the team to fail and have an easy way to blame the manager, he does seem to have a way of endearing himself to Angels fans.  (I just wanted to see what it felt like to make stuff up with that last sentence)