• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

What Happened To The Price Of Baseball Cards?

When my friends and I collected cards in the 90's a lot of rookie cards of "older" (retired) players were cheaper than rookies of newer players as they weren't in as much demand.  A lot of younger fans might not remember Griffey when he was a stud.  We got out of it right when they started grading cards at which point every guy had like 15 rookie cards because there were so many sets and they were massively overpriced.  I remember reading an article some time back that compared the baseeball card grading bubble to other bubbles.

Adam - I don't even want to know.  I've got boxes of cards and a bunch that are in cases some of which I looked through when moving.  Some of those guys went on to suck while I'm sure I've got some cards just sitting in boxes with other cards that are worth quite a bit.  That said if it wasn't for all the money I spent on them as a kid I'd throw them out just to clear space.

When my friends and I collected cards in the 90's a lot of rookie cards of "older" (retired) players were cheaper than rookies of newer players as they weren't in as much demand.  A lot of younger fans might not remember Griffey when he was a stud.  We got out of it right when they started grading cards at which point every guy had like 15 rookie cards because there were so many sets and they were massively overpriced.  I remember reading an article some time back that compared the baseeball card grading bubble to other bubbles.

Adam - I don't even want to know.  I've got boxes of cards and a bunch that are in cases some of which I looked through when moving.  Some of those guys went on to suck while I'm sure I've got some cards just sitting in boxes with other cards that are worth quite a bit.  That said if it wasn't for all the money I spent on them as a kid I'd throw them out just to clear space.

Ha! When I was 20 I sold all my cards to my buddy for $250. Terrible investment. I think I spent that much at one show...and I went to many back in the day

I have some pretty good ones in plastic cases. Randy Johnson rookie, Derek Jeter rookie (2), Griffey Jr. rookie, etc...

Probably not worth trying to sell them now. I have a whole shoebox worth of rare-ish cards like that but it's probably only worth 200 dollars at most.

Yeah we used to go to the shows they had in OC like the one they had a few times at HB mall when that place was dead and garbage as Westminster mall was the "nicer" one, i.e. before bella terra.  That and Frank & Son's where we'd probably take $100-150 every time we went along with cards we'd sell there so in the end we'd spend $200+.  I'm still waiting for mrwicked's prediction of the pog comeback to help me get that big house on alpine drive. 

Yeah we used to go to the shows they had in OC like the one they had a few times at HB mall when that place was dead and garbage as Westminster mall was the "nicer" one, i.e. before bella terra.  That and Frank & Son's where we'd probably take $100-150 every time we went along with cards we'd sell there so in the end we'd spend $200+.  I'm still waiting for mrwicked's prediction of the pog comeback to help me get that big house on alpine drive. 

Did Jose Mota steal your login?  That is some brutal sentence structure.

I had a Ken Griffey Jr. Rated Rookie card that an older kid at my bus stop stole from me. I was nine years old and being a fat little nerd, I had no recourse. I am so happy I see the card for $5.00 on eBay now. Screw that guy (the thief, not Junior).

I remember when Upper Deck cards first came out, how much better quality they were than Topps or Donruss.  I still have my cards from the mid 80's, thought they would be worth something at some point in the future, sadly that may not be true. Guess I'll keep them around for my kids.

Score were the worst. 

Crazy thread.

I still have about 6-8 packed Rubbermaid tubs of all sorts of cards. I used to collect basketball cards for fun and that some how turned into my whole family going nuts and buying boxes for me "as an investment". I spent so much damn childhood time putting cards in sleeves that I resent them.

Was hoping to cash in or just pass them off to my kids.

I know for a fact my platinum Mookie Blaylock card goes for about $127k.