• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2024-2025 Offseason Thread

10 minutes ago, BTH said:

If you DFA Suarez, Fulmer, Sandoval, and Canning (who I forgot to include), that frees up $13M.

Which takes you down to $207M.

Perhaps that can work.

If Arte adds more to the budget than anticipated, if you can get teams to eat some money, and/or the contract amounts come in lower than I projected.

Plus trading Ward saves money

10 minutes ago, BTH said:

If you DFA Suarez, Fulmer, Sandoval, and Canning (who I forgot to include), that frees up $13M.

Which takes you down to $207M.

Perhaps that can work.

If Arte adds more to the budget than anticipated, if you can get teams to eat some money, and/or the contract amounts come in lower than I projected.

I have a feeling payroll will be at the $190-195 million range so Perry would have to be creative. Maybe you don’t sign Manaea and go with a cheaper option to make it work. 

Just now, Lackey41 said:

I have a feeling payroll will be at the $190-195 million range so Perry would have to be creative. Maybe you don’t sign Manaea and go with a cheaper option to make it work. 

Yeah, I think that range for payroll seems right.

One thing I forgot to factor in is that you could backload the deals.

So all in all, your plan is probably do-able.

2 hours ago, Lackey41 said:

My somewhat realistic offseason with them buying and selling:

Trade Tyler Anderson to Atlanta for Jorge Soler (Atlanta replaces Fried leaving in free agency)

Trade Jose Quijada, Michael Stefanic to Baltimore for Cedric Mullins (salary dump deal by Baltimore)

Trade Taylor Ward to a team like the Pirates for their #7 prospect Anthony Solemento (LHP) and #13 prospect Jack Brannigan (SS/3B)

Sign Gleyber Torres, Nick Pivetta, Sean Manaea, AJ Minter, and Whit Merrifield (bench/utility)

re-sign Hunter Strickland

DFA Canning

LINEUP

Rengifo 3B

Neto      SS <<<< Torres

Trout     LF

Soler     DH

O’Hoppe C

Mullins   CF <<<<< Schanope

Torres    2B <<<<< Neto

Adell      RF

Schanuel 1B <<<< Mullins

Bench

Moniak

Merrifield

Thaiss

Rendon/Lugo/Kavadas/Wagaman(last bench spot)

ROTATION

Soriano

Manaea <<< Buehler 

Pivetta <<<< meh below 500 pitcher! We've got plenty of those.

Detmers

Kochanowicz 

Aldegehrri/Dana/Solemento/(depth)

BULLPEN

Joyce/Minter/Zeferjahn/Stephenson/Burke/Strickland/Contreras

This allows the Angels to be better/competitive but also gives veteran pieces to move in July to help get more young pieces into the farm. 

Fixed. Neto needs to get on base at a higher clip! Yes, his power/speed blend worked for our lineup. But, our lineup was also dysfunctional overall. Due to injuries, ineffectiveness & lack of depth. 

Also, I make a run at Walker Buehler.. see my note on Pivetta if you can't get a Burnes, Buehler or Fried then you're bottom of the basket shopping and sure toss him in there somewhere! It would just be Hope, Dreams, Fluff anf Joy at that point anyway!

You're either IN and have a Plan for TODAY! or The Plan is contued for the Future and at that point Pivetta may be your Big signing...

Do we line up well for a trade with the Cubs? They have several ready or near ready infielders with no place to play them. They lack pitching in their Top 30.

So, proposal #1: We trade Detmers for Matt Shaw (#22 overall prospect who plays 2B and 3B with a time line to be ready at the start of 2025) and a lottery pick. We put Shaw at 3B and play Rengifo at 2B until Moore is ready, then Rengifo becomes a super sub. 

Trade Proposal #2: We trade Anderson and a lottery pick for Nico Horner. That would free up a spot for Matt Shaw for them and we solve 2B until Christian Moore is ready to take over 2B and Rengifo plays 3B.

Either way, I'd try to sign Lorenzen quickly so that we can focus on another pitcher and a CF. 

8 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Do we line up well for a trade with the Cubs? They have several ready or near ready infielders with no place to play them. They lack pitching in their Top 30.

So, proposal #1: We trade Detmers for Matt Shaw (#22 overall prospect who plays 2B and 3B with a time line to be ready at the start of 2025) and a lottery pick. We put Shaw at 3B and play Rengifo at 2B until Moore is ready, then Rengifo becomes a super sub. 

Trade Proposal #2: We trade Anderson and a lottery pick for Nico Horner. That would free up a spot for Matt Shaw for them and we solve 2B until Christian Moore is ready to take over 2B and Rengifo plays 3B.

Either way, I'd try to sign Lorenzen quickly so that we can focus on another pitcher and a CF. 

Detmers for Shaw would be awesome 

12 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I highly doubt the Angels would be able to get someone like Shaw for Detmers--and almost certainly not Shaw *AND* another prospect, even if it's just a "lottery pick" (assuming you actually mean lottery ticket here).

16 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

I like your thinking. Not sure Shaw would be available. Also nor sure if he can play 3b defensively. But these are the type of deals they should be using the few trade pieces they have on. 

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I highly doubt the Angels would be able to get someone like Shaw for Detmers--and almost certainly not Shaw *AND* another prospect, even if it's just a "lottery pick" (assuming you actually mean lottery ticket here).

The problem is thT Shaw is totally blocked. Where would he play for the Cubs? He's not displacing Horner, Swanson, or Paredes. 1B is blocked, as is the outfield. 

So, they could get great value for him. And, I believe Detmers is great value. It would not surprise me to see Detmers pitch another no-no in the Majors. So, I see it as a fairly even trade. 

1 hour ago, greginpsca said:

I like your thinking. Not sure Shaw would be available. Also nor sure if he can play 3b defensively. But these are the type of deals they should be using the few trade pieces they have on. 

I don't see free agency as the main way to o improve this team. I'm thinking that trades, especially those that build on our young core, are the way to improve. If we can show enough improvement that way, the maybe some top tier FAs will sign with us. 

11 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

I don't see free agency as the main way to o improve this team. I'm thinking that trades, especially those that build on our young core, are the way to improve. If we can show enough improvement that way, the maybe some top tier FAs will sign with us. 

I agree get younger with trades. You do not always need top FAs but spread money around. 

11 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

The problem is thT Shaw is totally blocked. Where would he play for the Cubs? He's not displacing Horner, Swanson, or Paredes. 1B is blocked, as is the outfield. 

So, they could get great value for him. And, I believe Detmers is great value. It would not surprise me to see Detmers pitch another no-no in the Majors. So, I see it as a fairly even trade. 

He will displace an outfielder or Parades. 

22 hours ago, Lackey41 said:

My somewhat realistic offseason with them buying and selling:

Trade Tyler Anderson to Atlanta for Jorge Soler (Atlanta replaces Fried leaving in free agency)

Trade Jose Quijada, Michael Stefanic to Baltimore for Cedric Mullins (salary dump deal by Baltimore)

Trade Taylor Ward to a team like the Pirates for their #7 prospect Anthony Solemento (LHP) and #13 prospect Jack Brannigan (SS/3B)

Sign Gleyber Torres, Nick Pivetta, Sean Manaea, AJ Minter, and Whit Merrifield (bench/utility)

re-sign Hunter Strickland

DFA Canning

I don’t dislike any of those, and they all feel at least somewhat realistic, but collectively it seems like a lot of money and a lot of moving parts for a team that is undoubtedly better - but not substantially enough for the amount of money especially. 

Unrelated, had an actual dream that the Halos traded Schanuel and Detmers to Minnesota for Pablo Lopez. Thinking about baseball too much.

Edited by totdprods

3 minutes ago, ShotimeDynasty said:

I don’t think Soler is a good fit. Prefer Tyler O’Neil as he leaves the DH slot open for Trout and won’t get a QO like Santander likely will

O’Neil reminds me of Hunter Renfroe. He’s a better hitter than Renfroe, but he’s also more injury prone.

Only one season over 115 games.

And he had only 61 RBI despite 31 HR.

Honesty lackey put some good trades out there, 

I saw someone propose a trade of Ward for Singer, and it’s a deal that would fill needs for both teams. Both players have similar contracts and comparable value

It would have been Ward + a prospect for Singer. 

A trade involving Soler for Tyler Anderson could be in play, but I think the Braves would either need to cover some of the salary or include a prospect to sweeten the deal.