• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2024-2025 Offseason Thread

1 minute ago, ScottM said:

Hear you. Worry about it a bit less with a guy who I look at for defensive value and the hitting as a nice bonus. 

Likewise I hear what youre saying and I'm a big run prevention advocate, but his reputation exceeds his performance to a degree partially because the Pads had him on a pretty sweet deal and there is this belief he's got more power than he does.  He just switched to the Boras agency and people are suggesting he's in line for somewhere along the lines of 5 years 65-70 mil.

That's a lot of money to tie up on a defensively minded player who isn't likely to play SS for you.

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

Should we wind up with Mullins, however that path happened, I wouldn’t be too worried about his HR output. It’d simply be because he was going to be our 2025 CF and Trout is moving positions. Because frankly there are very few true CF options available. Aside from our own Moniak or Adell, the current best CF FA is…Harrison Bader.

Mullins wouldn’t be the worst outcome in CF for a year or two, until Rada or a better CF option comes along.

HR's are the last thing I'd care about with him.  I'd gladly trade some power for more OBP out of him -- with his baserunning there's value there.

3 hours ago, ShotimeDynasty said:

I’d be pretty happy with an OF quartet of Trout/Ward/Adell/Mullins in 2025. Willing to cut ties with Moniak in favor of Cedric Mullins.

I’d be down for that IF they added a middle of the order bat in the infield (2B or 3B).

Look at the lineup on paper right now, and you’ll see there is no obvious #4 hitter.

They need a middle of the order bat to protect Trout (when he plays) and be a threat if Trout is out.

2 hours ago, EdmontonAngelsFan said:

I'm on the Buehler train too.

And I want Fried but I know that's a pipe dream.

I actually think Fried is the likeliest of the upper-tier of FA SPs.

Angels are devoid of lefty starting pitching outside of Aldegheri and Detmers (whose days I feel are somewhat numbered, maybe not 2025 but sooner rather than later) and I do believe the Atlanta ties with Perry and SoCal ties for Fried could make him their #1 target.

He’s already gotten a ring so pitching back home and somewhere comfortable might have a little more weight than the usual. And I think there’s enough other interest in Burnes, Soto, Snell, Flaherty, etc. to keep those other big-spending teams a little more distracted.

Edited by totdprods

Totally unrelated but saw this and couldn’t recall seeing it posted before. We’ll probably have to wait a few years though.

”Before he was one of the top pitching prospects in the country, Paul Skenes was simply a Los Angeles Angels fan. That's right, the Pittsburgh Pirates' highly-touted prospect grew up watching the Angels having been born and raised in Orange County, California. During a recent appearance on the Pat McAfee show, Skenes recalled watching Angels pitchers Jered Weaver and John Lackey as a kid.”

53 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Totally unrelated but saw this and couldn’t recall seeing it posted before. We’ll probably have to wait a few years though.

”Before he was one of the top pitching prospects in the country, Paul Skenes was simply a Los Angeles Angels fan. That's right, the Pittsburgh Pirates' highly-touted prospect grew up watching the Angels having been born and raised in Orange County, California. During a recent appearance on the Pat McAfee show, Skenes recalled watching Angels pitchers Jered Weaver and John Lackey as a kid.”

He just looks like a guy that’s going to pitch for the Yankees. Putting off Cole 2.0 vibes.

Max Fried is the ultimate dream target for many here, and he's at the top of my list as well. I think he'll age nicely, likely serving as a solid No. 2/3 starter in the first few years, and transitioning to more of a No. 4 role later on. He could form a strong 1-2 punch with Soriano at the top of the rotation.

If Fried isn't an option, I'd also consider Nathan Eovaldi as a dependable middle-of-the-rotation arm, along with pitchers like Nick Pivetta or those with similar profile.

9 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

HR's are the last thing I'd care about with him.  I'd gladly trade some power for more OBP out of him -- with his baserunning there's value there.

good points, but remember if he came here he'd now be running bases for the angels, and we all know that'll go. 

9 hours ago, BTH said:

I’d be down for that IF they added a middle of the order bat in the infield (2B or 3B).

Look at the lineup on paper right now, and you’ll see there is no obvious #4 hitter.

They need a middle of the order bat to protect Trout (when he plays) and be a threat if Trout is out.

Gleyber?

I tried drafting some lineups with Gleyber Torres and Cedric Mullins in the mix and it was a little bit clunky.

1 hour ago, ShotimeDynasty said:

Gleyber?

I tried drafting some lineups with Gleyber Torres and Cedric Mullins in the mix and it was a little bit clunky.

I think they’ve got a trade or two in them this winter…but I’m not totally sure who will be targeted. Not at all advocating that, but someone like an Arenado, Vlad, Yelich, Luis Robert, Yoshida, Mountcastle, Yandy Diaz, Buxton, someone with some money associated, someone with a bit of presence….

13 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think they’ve got a trade or two in them this winter…but I’m not totally sure who will be targeted. Not at all advocating that, but someone like an Arenado, Vlad, Yelich, Luis Robert, Yoshida, Mountcastle, Yandy Diaz, Buxton, someone with some money associated, someone with a bit of presence….

I want Soler.

My somewhat realistic offseason with them buying and selling:

Trade Tyler Anderson to Atlanta for Jorge Soler (Atlanta replaces Fried leaving in free agency)

Trade Jose Quijada, Michael Stefanic to Baltimore for Cedric Mullins (salary dump deal by Baltimore)

Trade Taylor Ward to a team like the Pirates for their #7 prospect Anthony Solemento (LHP) and #13 prospect Jack Brannigan (SS/3B)

Sign Gleyber Torres, Nick Pivetta, Sean Manaea, AJ Minter, and Whit Merrifield (bench/utility)

re-sign Hunter Strickland

DFA Canning

LINEUP

Rengifo 3B

Neto      SS

Trout     LF

Soler     DH

O’Hoppe C

Mullins   CF

Torres    2B

Adell      RF

Schanuel 1B

Bench

Moniak

Merrifield

Thaiss

Rendon/Lugo/Kavadas/Wagaman(last bench spot)

ROTATION

Soriano

Manaea 

Pivetta

Detmers

Kochanowicz 

Aldegehrri/Dana/Solemento/(depth)

BULLPEN

Joyce/Minter/Zeferjahn/Stephenson/Burke/Strickland/Contreras

This allows the Angels to be better/competitive but also gives veteran pieces to move in July to help get more young pieces into the farm. 

14 minutes ago, Lackey41 said:

My somewhat realistic offseason with them buying and selling:

I like all the moves, but I worry that they’re not gonna have the budget to do all that.

In

Out

Soler

Anderson

Mullins

Quijada

Torres

Stefanic

Pivetta

Ward

Manaea

Minter

Merrifield

Granted, those are just my projections for what Torres/Pivetta/Manaea/Minter/Merrifield will make, so there’s variability there.

But that would be adding like a net $60M to the current $160M payroll, which would take it to $220M.

I doubt they go that high.

27 minutes ago, BTH said:

I like all the moves, but I worry that they’re not gonna have the budget to do all that.

In

Out

Soler

Anderson

Mullins

Quijada

Torres

Stefanic

Pivetta

Ward

Manaea

Minter

Merrifield

Granted, those are just my projections for what Torres/Pivetta/Manaea/Minter/Merrifield will make, so there’s variability there.

But that would be adding like a net $60M to the current $160M payroll, which would take it to $220M.

I doubt they go that high.

Maybe they dfa Suarez, Fulmer, Sandoval to free up more space. Or get Baltimore to eat 3-4 million of Mullins deal

8 minutes ago, Lackey41 said:

Maybe they dfa Suarez, Fulmer, Sandoval to free up more space. Or get Baltimore to eat 3-4 million of Mullins deal

If you DFA Suarez, Fulmer, Sandoval, and Canning (who I forgot to include), that frees up $13M.

Which takes you down to $207M.

Perhaps that can work.

If Arte adds more to the budget than anticipated, if you can get teams to eat some money, and/or the contract amounts come in lower than I projected.