• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2024-2025 Offseason Thread

Dave Saltzer

8 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I believe our primary focus should be on strengthening the pitching staff.

To start, we should explore the possibility of acquiring Sonny Gray. While he has a no-trade clause, we should still attempt to pursue a deal. One option could be a salary exchange involving players like Anderson or White (both on one year deal) in return for Gray (60 mil over 2 years) and either a prospect or salary relief.

If that move isn't feasible, we should shift our attention to the pitching market:

1. Max Fried – I’d allocate the larger contract to Fried. While he does have some injury concerns, he’s the type of pitcher who can age well. He doesn't rely solely on over-powering stuff, but rather on a solid repertoire of pitches and strong command.

For more budget-conscious options, consider:

1. Kikuchi, Eovaldi, Pivetta, Manaea, Bieber, could be solid options to slot in-front of Soriano and between TA. 

Additional moves:

1. Sign Tyler O'Neill to strengthen the outfield.
  2. Sign Gio Urshela or Josh Rojas as a super utility player.
  3. Sign Martín Maldonado as a backup catcher.

Lastly, we should consider designating for assignment underperforming players like Griffin Canning, Patrick Sandoval, and Matt Thaiss to make room for more effective contributors.

I don't think the Angels will go big enough for Fried.  I do like O'Neill, and he'd make at least one of our OF available via trade.  Maldonado is done.  We've already had his best seasons.  And, we have a great C, and a serviceable backup. 

16 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I believe our primary focus should be on strengthening the pitching staff.

To start, we should explore the possibility of acquiring Sonny Gray. While he has a no-trade clause, we should still attempt to pursue a deal. One option could be a salary exchange involving players like Anderson or White (both on one year deal) in return for Gray (60 mil over 2 years) and either a prospect or salary relief.

If that move isn't feasible, we should shift our attention to the pitching market:

1. Max Fried – I’d allocate the larger contract to Fried. While he does have some injury concerns, he’s the type of pitcher who can age well. He doesn't rely solely on over-powering stuff, but rather on a solid repertoire of pitches and strong command.

For more budget-conscious options, consider:

1. Kikuchi, Eovaldi, Pivetta, Manaea, Bieber, could be solid options to slot in-front of Soriano and between TA. 

Additional moves:

1. Sign Tyler O'Neill to strengthen the outfield.
  2. Sign Gio Urshela or Josh Rojas as a super utility player.
  3. Sign Martín Maldonado as a backup catcher.

Lastly, we should consider designating for assignment underperforming players like Griffin Canning, Patrick Sandoval, and Matt Thaiss to make room for more effective contributors.

I disagree with the first comment... The pitching staff is stronger than the offense in this lineup. They have a dozen young starters, and while they do need a true Ace, they need multiple lineup additions to be stronger overall.

I do like your 4/5 moves, and while I personally would much rather have Teoscar or Anthony Santander over O'Neill, they do need an OF/1B/DH. O'Neill has injury concerns and never plays full time. But he's getting a full time contract for sure in this free agent market. I'd also like it if the OF/DH guy could play some 1B, maybe once a week or a little less, which would limit Schanuel next season to 135-145 games. He needs days off against tough lefties. 

I might make it a separate post, but I’ve been pouring over data and the biggest problem emerging can really be summed up in one unsurprising word - depth.

As a bit of a preview:

Angels:

• Catchers: 3.3 WAR, 2 players
  • IF: 6.6 WAR, 11 players
  • OF: 3.5 WAR, 8 players
  • SP: 3.6 WAR, 16 players
  • 15.9 WAR from 36 players

Brewers:

• Catchers: 5.3 WAR, 2 players
  • IF: 9.7 WAR, 7 players
  • OF: 11.9 WAR, 5 players
  • SP: 11.7 WAR, 15 players
  • 38.6 WAR from 29 players

Braves:

• Catchers: 2.4 WAR, 2 players 
  • IF: 10.4 WAR, 7 players
  • OF: 3.4 WAR, 10 players
  • SP: 17.9 WAR, 6 players
  • 34.1 WAR from 25 players

Playoff teams got twice the production from almost far fewer players. The Angels actually did better behind the plate and in the outfield than Atlanta, but were crushed when it came to starting pitching (Atlanta’s SP also cost $62M this year). And had Brandon Drury just even been replacement level, a 0 WAR player, the Angels would’ve had around 9 WAR in the infield - not really far off MIL or ATL. If Trout had been healthy and put up a full year, they would’ve been right in line with a good OF WAR like MIL.

It’s the revolving door of bad players needed to plug holes that is killing us (and Trout’s health). Signing one, two, even three guys will help with that, but one player sucking or getting hurt puts us right back into that cycle.

The Angels need a deeper farm at the upper-levels to succeed, and that’s only going to come from the draft (slower) or selling off players.

They should sign FAs they can hope to flip this year or next, and also plan to flip Ward, Rengifo, and Anderson. It’s also why holding onto guys like Canning, Adell/Moniak, Thaiss makes sense. They are not the ones hurting us, and if they have a good start to 2025, will find themselves in the former bunch of trades that can/should be traded to start building that upper-farm we need to get back to contending.

38 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Why?  Doesn't accomplish much for either team.

And Mullins is trending in the wrong direction.  Check out his StatCast batting numbers from this season (and his fielding wasn't spectacular, either):

image.png

I mean, Tyler Anderson isn’t that different on the pitching side. 

I wouldn’t do it, but it’s not the worst exchange. Mullins pushes Moniak to the brink of the roster, if not off, and gives the Halos a CF that’s at least a little more dependable than most FA CF options or internal options. 

Pretty safe bet for 100 OPS+ and 2 WAR and a good insurance option.

Would rather try to find a prospect or two for Anderson though.

13 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I mean, Tyler Anderson isn’t that different on the pitching side. 

I wouldn’t do it, but it’s not the worst exchange. Mullins pushes Moniak to the brink of the roster, if not off, and gives the Halos a CF that’s at least a little more dependable than most FA CF options or internal options. 

Pretty safe bet for 100 OPS+ and 2 WAR and a good insurance option.

Would rather try to find a prospect or two for Anderson though.

I just personally don't feel trading a guy on an expiring contract for another guy at a different position on an expiring contract, then hoping to flip him at the deadline, really accomplishes all that much.  Just shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic, really. 

30 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I just personally don't feel trading a guy on an expiring contract for another guy at a different position on an expiring contract, then hoping to flip him at the deadline, really accomplishes all that much.  Just shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic, really. 

30 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Mullins over a 2 war player last year can play CF. Put Trout in LF and trade Ward for prospects or pitching help. The halos have been moving chairs around for a decade now. Unless they commit for a rebuild or adding younger players to core of young players they have will be just moving chairs around. Save the lifeboats for younger players.

1 hour ago, greginpsca said:

not sure he will be ready to start the season, after having shoulder surgery a week or so ago.

I would still be in on him, maybe option years something. This type of player raises the floor of our infield. Young pitchers need support. Only costs money . I keep hearing about trades but our minor league system needs to grow to be productive. We have some young pitching , not enough to shop around and fill our staff. 
He can go three positions doesn’t block growth.  I m old dude haven’t really studied the war thing but I think he’s like 15.3 in his career. Lastly I’m tired of holding my breath every time a balls hit to third base.

22 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Mullins over a 2 war player last year can play CF. Put Trout in LF and trade Ward for prospects or pitching help. The halos have been moving chairs around for a decade now. Unless they commit for a rebuild or adding younger players to core of young players they have will be just moving chairs around. Save the lifeboats for younger players.

So you admit that trading for someone like him doesn't actually accomplish anything.  Cool, glad we agree.

51 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

It’s kinda hard to say since we’re not privy to what the plans are…but there’s also added benefit in potentially opening up the rotation slot. I can see both arguments. Anderson is a known quantity, he’s fairly dependable and durable, and we have a need with so many young, unproven arms. But, especially if we’re dead set on adding two arms this winter and wind up keeping Canning, there’s actually a lot of value in shuffling the deck chairs and opening up a rotation slot for the young arms to rotate through. If that’s needed, getting Mullins isn’t the worst option at all and a pretty good use of whatever value Anderson has - and I suspect it’s minimal. There aren’t many great CF FA options, few as dependable as Mullins, and we don’t have any CF options on the farm that compare even remotely. It would be a pretty decent one-for-one trade if we were adding offense elsewhere and adding two vet arms this winter. If not, it’s much less appealing.

8 hours ago, Hubs said:

I disagree with the first comment... The pitching staff is stronger than the offense in this lineup. They have a dozen young starters, and while they do need a true Ace, they need multiple lineup additions to be stronger overall.

I do like your 4/5 moves, and while I personally would much rather have Teoscar or Anthony Santander over O'Neill, they do need an OF/1B/DH. O'Neill has injury concerns and never plays full time. But he's getting a full time contract for sure in this free agent market. I'd also like it if the OF/DH guy could play some 1B, maybe once a week or a little less, which would limit Schanuel next season to 135-145 games. He needs days off against tough lefties. 

I disagree. Aside from Soriano, who has his own question marks, the rotation is still a major concern and has been for the past decade. They need to sign solid veteran pitchers to start the season. The young arms should step up later on or provide depth throughout the year.

Schanuel will be a full-time player, playing as many games as possible, regardless of whether it’s against lefties or righties.

O'Neill will likely be more affordable than the other two options, and when healthy, he offers just as much upside. It’s worth the risk.

As for the DH spot, it can rotate between Trout and whoever needs rest.

19 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

He would help at one position for one year, while leaving a hole in the rotation, and then we'd be right back in the same boat in '26.  You're not making much sense.

First of all Baltimore would not want Anderson. Second if Anderson was traded you could sign a F/A pitcher. Anderson second half of season is who he really is.