• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2024-2025 Offseason Thread

Dave Saltzer

16 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

They need to trade Anderson, Ward, and Rengifo for prospects that can fit holes. Get younger. Get guys that can play great defense and have speed. No more overpriced, aging veterans. That is something this org has done since it's inception. Getting older veterans that that come here to put a headstone on their career. 

100% agree on this. This needs to be the goal between now and July, capitalizing on the trade value of these guys before it’s too late. 

And I would try to sign similar players this winter to try and ‘replace’ these guys on roster, bridging for the future. I think there’s a way to thread the needle.

Sign a legit OF/DH (Santander, Teoscar, JD, O’Neill, Kepler) that allows you the flexibility to move Ward (or lesser degree Adell or Moniak) right now, but doesn’t ’force’ you too either. Keeps team competitive if you hold them all to start the year, gives you freedom to move Ward (or Adell/Moniak) this deadline or next winter even, while still maintaining a good OF/DH core for 2025-2026.

Sign another SP similar to the Anderson deal. A $13M-$16M annual value for someone like Pivetta, Manaea, Kikuchi, Boyd. Same reason as above. Fills a need now, allows them to trade Anderson this winter or up to this deadline with a capable vet already around to ‘replace’, potentially gives you same type of arm as Anderson for next year if they’re signed beyond 2025. Or another tradeable asset this deadline or winter.

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I don’t really see a scenario where they trade Rengifo and Ward in the off season.  If they are bad again at the deadline then they could sell off some guys. But if Arte is serious about competing then they aren’t trading affordable productive players in the off season. 

I can see trading Ward. His streakiness is not that helpful to us, and, I want to open up LF for Trout. 

2 hours ago, BTH said:

I think whether they trade Detmers comes down to if they believe they can fix him or not.

If they don’t, then they trade him. If they think they can, they’ll stick with him because is upside is big.

But I don’t know what they think.

They obviously cant fix him, otherwise they would've done it already.

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

That’s incredibly stupid to say. Of course someone would take Anderson. Someone gave Wacha $16 million. Someone gave Giolito 2 years and $38 million coming off of his worst season. Maeda got $24 million over two years at 36 years old returning from injury.  So yea, he’s absolutely tradeable. Now if you want to argue what you can get for him that’s fine but to pretend his contract is unmovable is just being ignorant. 

If no one wanted Anderson at the deadline before he shat the bed, why are they going to want him now? It seems like the Angels continue to be the organization that places the highest value on what Anderson brings. I would be surprised to see him traded.

17 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

If no one wanted Anderson at the deadline before he shat the bed, why are they going to want him now? It seems like the Angels continue to be the organization that places the highest value on what Anderson brings. I would be surprised to see him traded.

Again, I’m only trading Anderson if I’m using his money elsewhere. To say no one wanted him at the deadline is speculation based on how you feel about not trading him. 

22 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Tell that to Scioscia. 

Picking some Angels playoff teams...

Starts beyond top 8 starters...

2014 0 starts, 0 guys
2009 13 starts, 6 guys
2008 0 starts, 0 guys
2007 0 starts, 0 guys
2005 2 starts, 1 guy

So generally it didn't happen. 2009 was a bit unique as Nick Adenhart's death is what precipitated it. They were also second in runs scored in the AL. That team was uniquely deep among Angels teams, which is why I generally consider it the best team in franchise history. 

There is really no reason to plan beyond the top 8.

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Picking some Angels playoff teams...

Starts beyond top 8 starters...

2014 0 starts, 0 guys
2009 13 starts, 6 guys
2008 0 starts, 0 guys
2007 0 starts, 0 guys
2005 2 starts, 1 guy

So generally it didn't happen. 2009 was a bit unique as Nick Adenhart's death is what precipitated it. That team was uniquely deep among Angels teams, which is why I generally consider it the best team in franchise history. 

There is really no reason to plan beyond the top 8.

Scioscia said you have to be at least 10-12 deep in the rotation to start a season. 

17 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It could be other things as well. You just choose not to see it. Which really isn’t surprising. 

Since apparently you are the only one allowed to make the personal attacks here I'll restate my reply... 

The Angels have been terrible for a really long time now. There is no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt on literally everything.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

You are quite welcome. 

Strad, I mean this genuinely and with all due respect. You are having a really hard time discussing baseball on here without resorting to personal attacks. Maybe you need to take a break or spend some time thinking about why that is. Again, I mean that genuinely. You have been a great poster on here over the years but more recently it has been difficult engaging with you.

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Mr. Straddle, why are you so intent on having these pitched battles in defense of the Gaylos? They hurt you every year on purpose.  You are behaving like a Patty Hearst style guy.  Plz stop.  You don't have to stay enlisted in the Arte SLA. 

I’m good. I’m just not going to have that dude say that shit to me. 

28 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Scioscia said you have to be at least 10-12 deep in the rotation to start a season. 

Nobody is that deep.  Sure you can roll out bodies 10-12 deep if you have a ton of injuries, but it is very unrealistic to have that many guys you are comfortable starting.

28 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Strad, I mean this genuinely and with all due respect. You are having a really hard time discussing baseball on here without resorting to personal attacks. Maybe you need to take a break or spend some time thinking about why that is. Again, I mean that genuinely. You have been a great poster on here over the years but more recently it has been difficult engaging with you.

Thank you for your concerns. I do find it funny that you said what you said and I’m the asshole here. You choose to see things a certain way, as do I.  I’m not the least bit surprised you see it the way you see it. At least I said what I said in response to you in a PM. 

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

I think Detmers going to St. Louis especially (Cincy too) makes so much sense. Grew up a Cards fan, from the area, dad was in their system. 

I’m a little leery of Arenado though. He’s still productive but has been declining and dropped to a league average bat the last two seasons, and even with some deferred money and Colorado paying some, there’s still a little too much money and years there for us to add to payroll/3B. I’m not against it, but I worry it could clog up payroll more than expected, and if he goes into an Anaheim tailspin like older players do so often here, now we’re paying two 3B a ton of money for no results.

I want this team to keep getting younger and cheaper, even if it comes with more risk. Competing isn’t in the cards or the expectation for 2025, building a better team beyond that is.

St. Louis has several young bats that might need a change of scenery like Detmers. Jordan Walker, Alec Burleson. Brendan Donovan isn’t young, but productive and useful. But I would go after Nolan Gorman. He can play 2B and 3B so he gives us flexibility there. He and Detmers are basically the same age, have the same club-control timeline, have similar prospect pedigree, have both had their careers start strong and slowly regress. With Arenado at 3B and Wetherholt in the system now, Gorman’s time could be limited in St. Louis. Not really part of this deal, but overall, there’s enough ’bad’ money and a need to reduce payroll that trying to get Matz, Mikolas, Lynn or Gibson to shore up the back of the rotation (and making it easier to dump Canning) might be an option too.

Cincy is also close to that area, and they have a definite need for more young pitching and a glut of infielders. Ideally they’d be able to get one of the younger guys, Encarnación-Strand, Steer, Marte, probably not McClain, or also get Candelario as a salary-dump throw-in.

There’s a lot of fits with those two clubs there, so much so it’s hard to pinpoint exactly what the best/most realistic return without knowing what other moves are in the works.

Gorman is somewhat interesting, but I would not trade Detmers for him. Gorman strikes out way too much, and we need to cut down on free swingers.