• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2024-2025 Offseason Thread

2 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I saw someone propose a trade of Ward for Singer, and it’s a deal that would fill needs for both teams. Both players have similar contracts and comparable value

It would have been Ward + a prospect for Singer. 

Idk if KC is gonna move Singer since Wacha is gonna opt out.

It’d leave them with a rotation of Ragans, Lugo, Marsh and 2 question marks. Wright is coming back from shoulder surgery, so who knows with him.

13 hours ago, BTH said:

Idk if KC is gonna move Singer since Wacha is gonna opt out.

It’d leave them with a rotation of Ragans, Lugo, Marsh and 2 question marks. Wright is coming back from shoulder surgery, so who knows with him.

That is what I'm thing, but if they do bring back Wacha to a longer deal, and miss out on an outfielder, it'll make it an interesting offseason. Than again, they could swing a deal for Solar of they want to without giving much.  

it doesn't have to be Singer, it could be a another team with solid pitching, but in need of an outfield bat. 

I say this every year but they really need to not worry about positional flexibility or making a run at competing but rather just focus on adding value where they can. 

Some teams are going to be looking at adding talent in exchange for cash and prospects, for them maybe Ward and Rengifo can bring you back something nice long term.

Other teams may value Angels players beyond the value the Angels have been able to get out of them... Guys like Detmers and Canning may be able to fetch something.

This year there is speculation that there will be several teams who are looking to reduce payroll and are willing to move talent in exchange for cash. As always the FA market will have riskier players with upside at lower cost. Non-tender guys, back end starters that might have another gear, veteran players coming off a down season or with too many miles on them to garner longer deals. Arte should allow Perry to sign as many of these guys as possible so that the ones who do produce can be flipped or potentially be chips to play again the following year. This will have an added effect of creating depth for this season.

Buy for a dollar what you can sell for two. Sell for two what you are only getting one out of. Make as many of these moves as you possibly can. Unfortunately we tend to spend a lot more on guys who cannot possibly provide that value, and pass over mid range value plays preferring to target freely available players with significantly lower upside.

On 10/19/2024 at 1:48 PM, Lackey41 said:

My somewhat realistic offseason with them buying and selling:

Trade Tyler Anderson to Atlanta for Jorge Soler (Atlanta replaces Fried leaving in free agency)

Trade Jose Quijada, Michael Stefanic to Baltimore for Cedric Mullins (salary dump deal by Baltimore)

Trade Taylor Ward to a team like the Pirates for their #7 prospect Anthony Solemento (LHP) and #13 prospect Jack Brannigan (SS/3B)

Sign Gleyber Torres, Nick Pivetta, Sean Manaea, AJ Minter, and Whit Merrifield (bench/utility)

re-sign Hunter Strickland

DFA Canning

LINEUP

Rengifo 3B

Neto      SS

Trout     LF

Soler     DH

O’Hoppe C

Mullins   CF

Torres    2B

Adell      RF

Schanuel 1B

Bench

Moniak

Merrifield

Thaiss

Rendon/Lugo/Kavadas/Wagaman(last bench spot)

ROTATION

Soriano

Manaea 

Pivetta

Detmers

Kochanowicz 

Aldegehrri/Dana/Solemento/(depth)

BULLPEN

Joyce/Minter/Zeferjahn/Stephenson/Burke/Strickland/Contreras

This allows the Angels to be better/competitive but also gives veteran pieces to move in July to help get more young pieces into the farm. 

I honestly cannot think of a worse plan. 

Gleyber Torres is horrible. He's gonna want $20M plus a year. Much better ways to spend that kind of money than on a mid-middle infielder who is a terrible fielder, and a terrible teammate with a bad attitude.

Merrifield is washed. He's 36.

Soler is expensive for a DH.

Mullins is a slightly better Moniak, and a much higher cost.

Minter is ok. PIvetta is older and is basically Tyler Anderson with a better fastball.

Manea is ok, also, but older.

Trade targets should be guys under 30, to fit with the core, not guys like Soler/Mullins.

You probably spent $92M in free agency and trades between Torres ($20), Soler/Mullins ($24), Maneaa ($20), Pivetta ($20), and Minter ($8?). But you offloaded $22? 

Just now, Hubs said:

I honestly cannot think of a worse plan. 

Gleyber Torres is horrible. He's gonna want $20M plus a year. Much better ways to spend that kind of money than on a mid-middle infielder who is a terrible fielder, and a terrible teammate with a bad attitude.

Merrifield is washed. He's 36.

Soler is expensive for a DH.

Mullins is a slightly better Moniak, and a much higher cost.

Minter is ok. PIvetta is older and is basically Tyler Anderson with a better fastball.

Manea is ok, also, but older.

Trade targets should be guys under 30, to fit with the core, not guys like Soler/Mullins.

You probably spent $92M in free agency and trades between Torres ($20), Soler/Mullins ($24), Maneaa ($20), Pivetta ($20), and Minter ($8?). But you offloaded $22? 

Is the team 10 wins better? Maybe? I don't actually know.

For the record, I say trade for Jonathan India (Moniak/Klassen). He's being paid $5M. Under arbitration control for 2026.

SIgn Santander/Teoscar Hernandez. $22 M

Sign a FA SP.

Sign Minter. 

To start season:

2B/3B India

LF Ward

SS Neto

CF/DH Trout

RF/DH Santander

RF/CF Adell 

C O'Hoppe/ Thaiss

1B Schanuel

3B Rengifo/Rendon

To finish season:

3B India

LF Ward

SS Neto

CF/LF/DH Trout

RF/DH/1B Santander

RF/CF Adell 

C O'Hoppe/ Thaiss

1B Schanuel

2B Moore

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

For the record, I say trade for Jonathan India (Moniak/Klassen). He's being paid $5M. Under arbitration control for 2026.

SIgn Santander/Teoscar Hernandez. $22 M

Sign a FA SP.

Sign Minter. 

To start season:

2B/3B India

LF Ward

SS Neto

CF/DH Trout

RF/DH Santander

RF/CF Adell 

C O'Hoppe/ Thaiss

1B Schanuel

3B Rengifo/Rendon

To finish season:

3B India

LF Ward

SS Neto

CF/LF/DH Trout

RF/DH/1B Santander

RF/CF Adell 

C O'Hoppe/ Thaiss

1B Schanuel

2B Moore

I like India but do not trade Klassen for him. Angels need to keep young starters. Would Reds even consider trading India? If you got India trade Rengifo in off season or sign him to an extension.

9 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Last off-season I suggested Rendon for Rodon. The overall reaction here was that was a bad idea because Rendon was owed less money and had a higher chance of rebounding. 
I'm wrong a lot of the time, but that would have helped us tremendously. 

Yeah, the Angels might have gone 68-94 instead of 63-99!

57 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Last off-season I suggested Rendon for Rodon. The overall reaction here was that was a bad idea because Rendon was owed less money and had a higher chance of rebounding. 

That trade would’ve never gone through because Rendon wasn’t waiving his NTC for the Yankees and Rodon wasn’t waiving his NTC for the Angels.

So in your hypothetical world where you can force players to do things they don’t want to do, sure, it would’ve helped the Angels tremendously.

44 minutes ago, BTH said:

That trade would’ve never gone through because Rendon wasn’t waiving his NTC for the Yankees and Rodon wasn’t waiving his NTC for the Angels.

So in your hypothetical world where you can force players to do things they don’t want to do, sure, it would’ve helped the Angels tremendously.

You might be right, but that's not the push back I got last offseason. The push back was Rendon was a wiser contract to have because he was less expensive and could still get on base. 

The Reds could be an interesting team to watch this season, especially with the recent hiring of Terry Francona. They might be aiming for a playoff run, it'll be interesting to see  if they’ll stick with the same roster or try to bring in some free agents. That said, I’ve heard their TV deal and overall financial situation might limit their spending, potentially leaving them with only $20 to $30 million to work with and  their owner has a reputation for being cheap (they've done multiple salary dumps in the past).

I wonder if we could work out a trade,  sending Ward + in exchange for Candelario (along with his contract), Lodolo, and one of their young middle infield prospects, like Stewart or Collier. 

Not sure if it’s realistic, but it could be something to explore.

3 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

You really shouldn't exaggerate.  There wasn't any real consensus, there were more jokes about Rendon getting hurt than any real discussion about the trade. I remember that thread and I remember I think Strad was all for it.  Most of all I remember the "pushback" you're trying to talk up was only me, and my POV was I'd rather be out from under a bad contract in three years instead of five or whatever Rodon had left on his deal.

It's great Rodon had a rebound season after posting and ERA over 6.00, but he's still a bad bet to stay healthy or be productive for the length of that contract.  The Rendon nightmare is nearly over.  I still wouldn't want to be saddled with that contract.

Guess the pushback continues.... 

2 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

You might be right, but that's not the push back I got last offseason. The push back was Rendon was a wiser contract to have because he was less expensive and could still get on base. 

Do yourself a favor. 

Say IP wouldn't do it because he didnt want a longer bad contract and thinks Rendon can get still on base -- that would at least be truthful.  I know you've been desperate to win an argument with me and I remember how you incorrectly tried to say I poo-pooed your view on Drury, (and I proved that on the contrary I had actually mentioned they finally did something you wanted) but you're massively misrepresenting this "pushback" and you really don't want to have me start keeping score on shit like this.

Btw, Rendon's Chase, whiff, K, and squared up rates were elite.... But the dude has no legs.

2 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

This is hilarious...  I decided to check what exactly HAD been said and by who.  Turns out the "pushback" you claimed didn't happen, did.  @BTH made this exact  point you claimed was never made and even better -- NOBODY claimed he was the "wiser and less expensive" other than my pointing out the the total due for the sake of comparison and the length of each contract.

@BTH was the second person to respond, and as I remembered, Strad was all for it.

You can pull yourself off the cross now, Joan.

29 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

You really shouldn't exaggerate.  There wasn't any real consensus, there were more jokes about Rendon getting hurt than any real discussion about the trade. I remember that thread and I remember I think Strad was all for it.  Most of all I remember the "pushback" you're trying to talk up was only me, and my POV was I'd rather be out from under a bad contract in three years instead of five or whatever Rodon had left on his deal.

It's great Rodon had a rebound season after posting and ERA over 6.00, but he's still a bad bet to stay healthy or be productive for the length of that contract.  The Rendon nightmare is nearly over.  I still wouldn't want to be saddled with that contract.

Guess the pushback continues.... 

You might be right. Sometimes staying the course to ride out a bad contract is the best. At this point I could be convinced that's better than swapping Rendon for larger risky contract. 

3 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

You might be right. Sometimes staying the course to ride out a bad contract is the best. At this point I could be convinced that's better than swapping Rendon for larger risky contract. 

Seriously the Rendon shit is nearly over.  I doubt they will cut him before ST but if the dude is still looking like his legs are shot I wouldn't be shocked if they do part ways with him before breaking camp.  He was quoted saying all the right things at the end of the year, he's likely bought himself some time.  But those legs were doooone.

25 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Do yourself a favor. 

Say IP wouldn't do it because he didnt want a longer bad contract and thinks Rendon can get still on base -- that would at least be truthful.  I know you've been desperate to win an argument with me and remember how you tried to say I poo-pooed your view on Drury, (and i proved that on the contrary I had actually mentioned they finally did something you wanted) but you're massively misrepresenting this "pushback" and you really don't want to have me start keeping score on shit like this.

Btw, Rendon's Chase, whiff, K, and squared up rates were elite.... But the dude has no legs.

I didn't remember whom the pushback came from. Honestly it feels like you're assuming a lot about my inentions. 

Last off-season I was bored and in an "I hate Rendon" season of life and I went through the entire league looking for any player a trade would be make sense for both teams. I thought Rodon was actually a guy that made sense for both teams. I was expecting others to say "no way Yankees do that deal" and I was surprised anyone thought it was a bad deal for us. 

I am wrong a ton on player projections, mostly wrong to be candid. As of now this is one I believe I got right (Rodon rebounding and Rendon not).  

Nothing meant to be a dig IIP. If anything i'm pretty irritated with baseball being surrounded by Dodger fans. 

7 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Seriously the Rendon shit is nearly over.  I doubt they will cut him before ST but if the dude is still looking like his legs are shot I wouldn't be shocked if they do part ways with him before breaking camp.  He was quoted saying all the right things at the end of the year, he's likely bought himself some time.  But those legs were doooone.

At this point the only thing I could see is trading him to Nationals for nothing, and they cover 5 million, similar what the Rangers did with us and Hamilton.