• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels owner Arte Moreno has sights set on contending in 2025

22 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Angels are not in Soto plans

I was referring to Arte’s past behavior, not Soto’s . Do you know Soto’s plans ? I believe Scott Boras clients 

generally hold out for biggest contract and Arte has certainly been in on some ridiculous contracts, so you never know.

Shoot I hope he does sign him, I don’t give a crap about Arte’s budgets. I don’t think it hinders a rebuild, I think it would expedite it.

Moreno has dumped untold amounts of $$$ into this club since he's become the owner. 

Foolishly!

He's ran this club down so badly, it'll take years to overcome, & build back up the foundation.

He's torn this club down from the bottom up!

Dumping MILLIONS into 2025 won't do shit, when everything in the foundation of the organization has gone to shit!

Everyone here can hold their breath hoping: "This will be the season!"....

Seeing Moreno's actions here the last 21 years tells me, "2025", will simply be more of the same.....

A "HIGH SPENDING" badly run ballclub.

I STILL HOPE Moreno sells the team.

4 hours ago, Dgar24 said:

I was referring to Arte’s past behavior, not Soto’s . Do you know Soto’s plans ? I believe Scott Boras clients 

generally hold out for biggest contract and Arte has certainly been in on some ridiculous contracts, so you never know.

Shoot I hope he does sign him, I don’t give a crap about Arte’s budgets. I don’t think it hinders a rebuild, I think it would expedite it.

Soto has ZERO interest in coming to Angels 00000. He is going to Mets or Yankees and u can take that to the bank.

5 hours ago, Dgar24 said:

The difference here is that the Yankees, Mets, and maybe others (Giants, Jays) are gonna be willing to be the highest bidder too.

Sure, Arte was the high bidder for 30 year old Pujols and Rendon. Not sure he’s gonna be the high bidder for 26 y/o Soto— which increases the interest from those other teams and raises the price substantially.

On 10/6/2024 at 8:21 AM, Angelsjunky said:

Translation: The youth movement will remain the focus, but Arte will open up the purse-strings a bit for Perry to bolster the team so it isn't godawful. He hopes that with continued development from the young guys and more depth, the team can be pretty good.

Not impossible, and I don't think he's saying we're going back to 2015-23 era idiocy. Even though I advocate for building from within and avoiding big contracts until the core is significantly better, I personally don't mind if they spend $30-40 million more next year if it is spent wisely: that is, players moveable at the deadline.

i agree with this. the one thing i'd love to see for next year is a deeper pool of talent for when the inevitable parade of injuries begins. i'm glad we gave so many guys the opportunity to to make their major league debut, but if this team really wants to move forward, no more jack lopez, wagaman, cole tucker, campero, etc. on the major league roster. 

the depth of talent on the roster has to be addressed. 

It’ll be at least until 2026 and probably 2027 before they can contend.

is Moreno smoking the good stuff?

he needs to bring in the following just to get closer to .500 in 2025.

CF, 3B, DH (not counting on Trout any more), at least 1 and maybe 2 starters, and 2 or 3 relievers 

Edited by Angel Oracle

From MLB Trade Rumors chat today:

https://live.jotcast.com/chat/chat-with-mlbtrs-steve-adams-10-8-24-19338.html

Johnny 5
3:03
Should the Angels get in on Soto? I know it is a long shot, but this team has got to move the needle or deal Trout. They already spoiled the Trout-Ohtani years.

Steve Adams
3:04
If you're Juan Soto, and you have the Yankees, Mets, Dodgers etc. -- all win-now clubs in the playoffs -- bidding for your services, how much do the Angels have to overpay by to make you consider it? I can't fathom him signing there. (Sorry Angels fans!)
Carmen

3:51
Hot take, but Angels young core isn't hopeless. With a healthy Trout -- big if -- that roster isn't as far off from competing as it appears.

Steve Adams
3:52
I like Neto and O'Hoppe. Not a big Schanuel guy. The pitching staff is bleak. I don't see a contending team even if Trout plays 150 games and puts up a 10-WAR season, but let's see what the offseason holds. We only know a portion of the roster right now.

Honestly, if Arte truly thinks he can contend in 2025 this is what a lineup would need to look like:

Ward (OF)

Trout (OF, DH)

Soto (OF)

Adams (switch from SS to 3B)

Bellinger (OF, 1B)

Ohoppe (C)

Rengifo (2B

Neto (SS)

Schnuel (1B)

That is an actual lineup that could be a contender. Then we would actually have to go out and sign three pitchers at minimum and at least two from this group (Burnes, Cole, Snell, Fried, Flaherty).

Now would Arte actually commit to something like this?  Absolutely not.  There is no way we are contenders next year.  

21 minutes ago, stevestevens said:

Honestly, if Arte truly thinks he can contend in 2025 this is what a lineup would need to look like:

Ward (OF)

Trout (OF, DH)

Soto (OF)

Adams (switch from SS to 3B)

Bellinger (OF, 1B)

Ohoppe (C)

Rengifo (2B

Neto (SS)

Schnuel (1B)

That is an actual lineup that could be a contender. Then we would actually have to go out and sign three pitchers at minimum and at least two from this group (Burnes, Cole, Snell, Fried, Flaherty).

Now would Arte actually commit to something like this?  Absolutely not.  There is no way we are contenders next year.  

What did Bellinger do last season that makes you think he improves the Angels? He had the same OPS+ as Taylor Ward,  only played 130 games, 7 fewer home runs, and cost $20 million more. That guy is living off of his one MVP season 6 years ago, rent free in your head.  

If Bellinger were on the Angels at $27.5 million last season you'd say he was a waste of money.

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

What did Bellinger do last season that makes you think he improves the Angels? He had the same OPS+ as Taylor Ward,  only played 130 games, 7 fewer home runs, and cost $20 million more. That guy is living off of his one MVP season 6 years ago, rent free in your head.  

I was just pulling names off my head.  There are for sure better OFers.  The point I was trying to make is that we cannot stick with what we have and we need a number 5 hitter.  

2 hours ago, stevestevens said:

I was just pulling names off my head.  There are for sure better OFers.  The point I was trying to make is that we cannot stick with what we have and we need a number 5 hitter.  

If we signed Soto and kept Ward, I don't really care who the other outfielder is. 

I think the majority of posters are overly pessimistic about 2025.  No team has a lock on the AL West--85 wins might be enough.

The fact is that the Angels plyed over 500 ball for half the season in 2024, and it is logical to discount the last two months of the season after players were traded and there were a number of injuries/load mangement decisions.

While there are some major "ifs," the Angels logically can contend with (a) normal progression of the younger players; (b) Trout being relatively healthy; and (c) the Angels add a few strategic pieces to the team.

Hypothetical additions could include (a) Blake Snell (or Shane Bieber or similar); (b) Carlos Estevez (or another high-leverage reliever); (c) Paul DeJong (or a similar player) to seve as a bridge 3B/backup SS.  Even with these additions, payroll would likely be less than $190M, which is consistent with Moreno's statement that payroll will increase.

8 minutes ago, oater said:

I think the majority of posters are overly pessimistic about 2025.  No team has a lock on the AL West--85 wins might be enough.

The fact is that the Angels plyed over 500 ball for half the season in 2024, and it is logical to discount the last two months of the season after players were traded and there were a number of injuries/load mangement decisions.

While there are some major "ifs," the Angels logically can contend with (a) normal progression of the younger players; (b) Trout being relatively healthy; and (c) the Angels add a few strategic pieces to the team.

Hypothetical additions could include (a) Blake Snell (or Shane Bieber or similar); (b) Carlos Estevez (or another high-leverage reliever); (c) Paul DeJong (or a similar player) to seve as a bridge 3B/backup SS.  Even with these additions, payroll would likely be less than $190M, which is consistent with Moreno's statement that payroll will increase.

wasnt me d&d GIF by Hyper RPG

Sign as many 2 WAR players as possible, its not been a lack of spending or fear to sign big guys that's dinged them, it's been the "all eggs in one basket" approach to team building.  Injuries will happen, underperformance will happen, the best way to try to overcome those things is to have as wide a talent spread as possible. Also gives them the most options at the deadline.

6 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Sign as many 2 WAR players as possible,

I’d imagine this is the plan. Like I said either in this thread or elsewhere, I think it’ll be an offseason like pre-2023 season where they added Urshela, Renfroe, Drury, Anderson, Estévez.