• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

3B In 2025

Hubs

You have to use the players on the roster, but the Angels are in dire need of infield depth. They have a lot of OF, a lot of BP arms, two capable Catchers, and a lot of SP options.

In AAA or AA, who logged the most games at each infield position this year?

At Salt Lake: 

1B: Charles Leblanc had 40 games. 7 players had 10 or more games.

2B: Elliot Soto had 26. 6 players had 12 or more games.

3B: Leblanc played 27 games here. 7 players had 12 or more games.

SS: Soto played 66 games here. Jack López (33) and Kyren Paris (23) were primary backups.

At Rocket City:

1B: Sam Brown had 110 games.

2B: Mac Mcroskey / Arol Vera - even split 46 games each.. Moore and Mershon played 19 and 16 games respectively.  

3B: Ben Gobbel had 58 games, Arol Vera played 28, Cole Fontenelle had 22 (before injury, he was primary 3B there) and Wagaman played 20.

SS: Denzer Guzman played 82 games. McCroskey was primary backup.

At hitting rich SLC, Stefanic showed some good numbers in 40 games. Soto could not hit. LeBlanc's numbers were ok, but not for hitting rich environment.

At Rocket City, Moore hit exceptionally well. Brown was a poor hitter. Guzman didn't hit. McCroskey didn't hit. Gobbel didn't hit. Mershon wasn't good either. 

Organizationally then, the best infield hitting minor leaguers are 

At 1B ?? Niko Can't field Kavadas? Sonny DiChara? Evan White (who didn't play)

Chad Stevens at SS/2b/3b (split between A+ and AA - decent numbers at AA, good at A+). Probably is the starter at AA at SS next year.

Christian Moore at 2nd base. May be in Anaheim to start year.

David Mershon at Util. Should be starting at 2nd or SS next year for AA. Guzman and Palencia next but they need to hit.

And probably Cole Fontenelle at 3B. May be in Anaheim before end of 2025, probably starts in AA and moves to AAA in spring.

Edited by Hubs

Just now, Hubs said:

You have to use the players on the roster, but the Angels are in dire need of infield depth. They have a lot of OF, a lot of BP arms, two capable Catchers, and a lot of SP options.

At Salt Lake: 

SS: Soto played 66 games here. Jack López (33) and Kyren Paris (23) were primary backups.

At Rocket City:

2B: Mac Mcroskey / Arol Vera - even split 46 games each.. Moore and Mershon played 19 and 16 games respectively.  

3B: Ben Gobbel had 58 games, Arol Vera played 28, Cole Fontenelle had 22 (before injury, he was primary 3B there) and Wagaman played 20.

At hitting rich SLC, Stefanic showed some good numbers in 40 games. Soto could not hit. LeBlanc's numbers were ok, but not for hitting rich environment.

At Rocket City, Moore hit exceptionally well. Brown was a poor hitter. Guzman didn't hit. McCroskey didn't hit. Gobbel didn't hit. Mershon wasn't good either. 

Chad Stevens at 1st base (split between A+ and AA - decent numbers at AA, good at A+). Probably is the starter at AA at 1B next year.

Christian Moore at 2nd base. May be in Anaheim to start year. Stefanic next.

David Mershon at Util. Should be starting at 2nd or SS next year for AA. Guzman and Palencia next but they need to hit.

And probably Cole Fontenelle at 3B. May be in Anaheim before end of 2025, probably starts in AA and moves to AAA in spring.

Yeah I mean you are right, but that's exactly the problem. It was a disastrous season for the Angels' hitting prospects, and there's really no one ready to step up for next season, Moore excluded. 

It sucks. 

2 minutes ago, Hubs said:

At Salt Lake: 

At Rocket City:

Chad Stevens at 1st base (split between A+ and AA - decent numbers at AA, good at A+). Probably is the starter at AA at 1B next year.

Christian Moore at 2nd base. May be in Anaheim to start year. Stefanic next.

Am I missing something?  Chad Stevens has played 1 game at first base in his career and that was as an 19-year-old in summer ball 6 years ago.

And I like Fontenelle, but I do think we need to use a little bit of caution until we at least see how he does in the AFL, given the severity of his injury and the limited number of minor league games he's played in since he was drafted last year.  He could move quickly, but I don't think we quite know enough just yet.

5 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Am I missing something?  Chad Stevens has played 1 game at first base in his career and that was as an 19-year-old in summer ball 6 years ago.

And I like Fontenelle, but I do think we need to use a little bit of caution until we at least see how he does in the AFL, given the severity of his injury and the limited number of minor league games he's played in since he was drafted last year.  He could move quickly, but I don't think we quite know enough just yet.

I mixed up Stevens with Coutney, sorry. Stevens is a 3B / SS/ 2B. Fixing.

Edited by Hubs

14 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I think 3B is Rendon's until his contract is up. Which means the Angels need a lot of innings at 3rd. I don't know what the plan is for 2B next year, but that will coincide with what they do at 3rd for depth. 

I'm sure Moore will be given a shot at it this spring, which I mean ok whatever. They still need some 2 fWAR guys, as @Inside Pitch has often stated. That's gonna be tough considering how awful this FA class is. 

Paul DeJong is an option to cover 3rd and SS. Gio Urshela seems obvious I guess. Maybe Gleyber Torres if they want to spend the money, but that could potentially block Moore. 

Rengifo needs to be healthy for once. That would be huge. But also unlikely. 

They need to see some serious advancement in the system next year. 

Third Base is a clusterfuck not just because Rendon cannot be counted on to stay healthy but because the departure of Drury at 2B and the team's uncertain TV situation makes it unlikely they create yet another hole in the IF. People can cry about it some more but my guess is their mindset is if they are going to have to pay Rendon anyway then they may as well continue to hope he can stay healthy and cross their fingers they get anything out of him given the wasteland that is FA this winter.  My guess is they focus on one of the MIFer flunkies from last winter to act as the back up.

I've long been wary of dipping into the expensive end of the FA pool, so it may come as a surprise to hear me say this but if they do spend big on anyone this year I'd likely chase Snell.  They may be coming off their worst season ever but they need to do something to solidify the front of the rotation especially since they really should be looking to divest themselves of Canning. But assuming they think they may have the nucleus of a rotation in Soriano, Detmers, Koch, with Klassen, Italian Sam, and Dana coming -- they need to bring in someone at the front of the rotation.  All the same caveats exists -- he doesn't go deep into games historically, there are injury concerns, but stuff wise he's in a league of his own and he's another guy that who's stuff might make guys like Detmers and the two GB machines play up.  One guy with crazy movement that makes you swing, a guy with movement up top and two guys that look hittable but you can't get the ball out of the IF..  If pitching is indeed about disrupting a hitter's timing those guys would play well off each other as opposed to three guys all throwing sliders back to back to back.   Again, the timing may seem off but he's going to be available, I was told his interest in being in OC was legitimate and there is no question stuff wife.

I think it's likely all moot and the team isn't likely to do much so long as the TV situation remains in limbo so they may simply try to add as many non-black holes as possible on short term deals again and look to trade off, but given Canning and Anderson's expiring deals, adding someone they can count on in the rotation moving forward just seems like the smart play.  So sign him, then hope for the best out of Canning and Anderson in hopes of trading them off for useful parts and then have your rotation stalwart around to go with the next generation of SPs in 2026.

As usual the Angels will not do anything I want so...  I'm already over it. 

BTW -- Gleyber is an excellent bounce back candidate and if Moncada wasn't a younger version of Rendon health wise he might be too, but one will be too expensive and the other can't be trusted to stay healthy.  As far as Moore goes -- I've been told they aren't looking at him to move as quickly as the others but the people telling me that also say the people they're getting their info from in the Angels org also believe he will move him up the second he shows himself remotely capable of being a league average bat.  So..  who knows.

Just now, Hubs said:

I mixed up Stevens with Coutney, sorry. Stevens is a SS/ 2B. Fixing.

Got it. 

I also think there's a chance that DiChiara gets one more shot at 1B at AA next year, after he performed well at A+.  He was old for the league and obviously doesn't have much of a track record in his career other than that, but given the lack of talent in the system, might as well give him one more shot.

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

Got it. 

I also think there's a chance that DiChiara gets one more shot at 1B at AA next year, after he performed well at A+.  He was old for the league and obviously doesn't have much of a track record in his career other than that, but given the lack of talent in the system, might as well give him one more shot.

Maybe. But can he field?

9 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Yeah I mean you are right, but that's exactly the problem. It was a disastrous season for the Angels' hitting prospects, and there's really no one ready to step up for next season, Moore excluded. 

It sucks. 

Taylor Blake Ward might have more insight but Ive been told they are actually pretty happy about the development of their A ball OFers and view a lot of guys as being on the cusp of break outs.  Maybe they are deluding themselves but apparently they are pretty enamored with some of the underlying data.  One guy that doesn't appear to have done much but I hear they are high on is Scull. So, their algorithms have to be pointing towards something.  I have no real info as to what, but that's the view/chatter from outside of the Angels org.

In Anaheim, they need a starting 2nd baseman and at least one backup MINF. They typically go 6 INF, 5 OF/DH, and 2 C with the 13 position players.

Right now, for 2025, they are

Schanuel 1B - ??? 2B - Neto SS - Rendon - 3B, Rengifo 2b/3b, ?? Backup SS?

I'd expect if they added Moore and another Infielder, that Rendon plays some 1B and some 3B spelling the lefty Schanuel against tough lefties. They're going to want Moore to play a lot, and that pushes Rengifo to 3B. 

But counting on 80 games from Rendon is a lot. Maybe 10-15 are at 1st and 50-65 are at 3B? That leaves 100 starts at 3rd to fill. Rengifo only played in 80 games himself this year. 

For AAA, they need to get minor league veterans at all four infield positions. Moore probably starts as the AAA 2nd baseman, but I expect him to be up by May. Stefanic is going to be 29 and he is out of options. Doubt he is back. Fontenelle didn't get enough experience at 3B to jump to AAA this year.

At AA, Brown/DiChara at 1st, Mershon & Stevens at 2nd/SS, and Fontenelle at 3rd?

10 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Third Base is a clusterfuck not just because Rendon cannot be counted on to stay healthy but because the departure of Drury at 2B and the team's uncertain TV situation makes it unlikely they create yet another hole in the IF. People can cry about it some more but my guess is their mindset is if they are going to have to pay Rendon anyway then they may as well continue to hope he can stay healthy and cross their fingers they get anything out of him given the wasteland that is FA this winter.  My guess is they focus on one of the MIFer flunkies from last winter to act as the back up.

Yep, this is exactly my guess, as well.  Unfortunately, I think the only way the team gets rid of Rendon and spends money on 3B is if he voluntarily retires.  Otherwise, I think they'll keep penciling him in for 2 more years and hoping for the best--though, realistically, I think we all know what "the best" is at this point...

The bright side about the infield depth is you should have it somewhat locked up between Neto, Schanuel and Moore at the MLB level for the foreseeable future, and acquiring back-up infield depth isn’t terrible difficult, even though it’s been a pain point for awhile.

They just need to keep drafting and developing. I think Mershon and Fontenelle will be firmly in infield bench mix by second half of 2025. Beyond that, Ortiz has some UT capability from a defense view, and I still maintain hope we see one of Guzman or Placencia become at least a decent back-up IF.

It’s not a great solution, but moving Detmers to St. Louis (his dad was once in their system, he grew up a Cards fan) for Nolan Gorman makes a lot of sense. Gorman has mostly played 2B, but has some 3B experience. That could play well with Rengifo, Moore, Rendon and Fontenelle. We lose some real upside in the rotation, but also open up a spot for maybe a surer thing via FA, and potentially address an infield bat in what looks to be a thin FA crop.

I think Gorman and Detmers are both set to hit FA after 2028. Both former first rounders. Both have had careers that started well and then took a step back. Both have around 3-4 WAR career.

I’m not declaring Gorman to be a savior or even a part of the core going forward, but if they make this trade and the change of scenery helps him, it also frees Perry up some at the draft…he might be able to ease off drafting a quick-to-bigs infielder or bat, and could focus more on prep bats, a college outfielder or an arm, perhaps one that could move quick enough to mitigate losing Detmers.

Edited by totdprods

27 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Got it. 

Yeah, the aggressive promotions really seemed to hurt DiChiara. At best he’s probably still just another Tellez/Vogelbach/maybe Kavadas type from the right side. I don’t expect him to be any real part of the future though. 

Guys like Tucker, Stefanic, Lopez, Wagaman, Kavadas were not really intended to be used, but injuries forced their hand. It’s just a result of us not having a developed farm yet, but I do think we’re on track. It will take another year. 

And while it’s not a way to build a winning org, I do think there was some low-key savviness giving those guys a chance at big league playing time. Tucker had one foot towards retirement. Wagaman got to play for his hometown team. Stefanic was an UDFA. Lopez a career minor leaguer. Kavadas likely a true 4A guy stuck in Boston’s farm. They were all able to get a taste of the bigs with the Halos and while that does nothing for our W/L, it surely helps a little in building some goodwill back across the ballplayer community, which we badly need given Skaggs, Ohtani, Arte, the minor league facilities, constant FO/coach turnover, and all other bad press that’s built. Players talk and see these things and they may help reverse any stigma from signing here, at least for lesser-tier FAs and minor league FAs.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Yeah, the aggressive promotions really seemed to hurt DiChiara. At best he’s probably still just another Tellez/Vogelbach/maybe Kavadas type from the right side. I don’t expect him to be any real part of the future though. 

Guys like Tucker, Stefanic, Lopez, Wagaman, Kavadas were not really intended to be used, but injuries forced their hand. It’s just a result of us not having a developed farm yet, but I do think we’re on track. It will take another year. 

And while it’s not a way to build a winning org, I do think there was some low-key savviness giving those guys a chance at big league playing time. Tucker had one foot towards retirement. Wagaman got to play for his hometown team. Stefanic was an UDFA. Lopez a career minor leaguer. Kavadas likely a true 4A guy stuck in Boston’s farm. They were all able to get a taste of the bigs with the Halos and while that does nothing for our W/L, it surely helps a little in building some goodwill back across the ballplayer community, which we badly need given Skaggs, Ohtani, Arte, the minor league facilities, constant FO/coach turnover, and all other bad press that’s built. Players talk and see these things and they may help reverse any stigma from signing here, at least for lesser-tier FAs and minor league FAs.

I guess, though I don't know that being known as "the organization you go to when literally no other team will give you a chance" is really something I'd want to be.

8 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I guess, though I don't know that being known as "the organization you go to when literally no other team will give you a chance" is really something I'd want to be.

When you’re at the bottom, what else can you do? It’s not like it will be like this forever. Might as well try and get some feel-good stories and good rep out of it while you’re already down.

8 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I've long been wary of dipping into the expensive end of the FA pool, so it may come as a surprise to hear me say this but if they do spend big on anyone this year I'd likely chase Snell.  They may be coming off their worst season ever but they need to do something to solidify the front of the rotation especially since they really should be looking to divest themselves of Canning. But assuming they think they may have the nucleus of a rotation in Soriano, Detmers, Koch, with Klassen, Italian Sam, and Dana coming -- they need to bring in someone at the front of the rotation.  All the same caveats exists -- he doesn't go deep into games historically, there are injury concerns, but stuff wise he's in a league of his own and he's another guy that who's stuff might make guys like Detmers and the two GB machines play up.  One guy with crazy movement that makes you swing, a guy with movement up top and two guys that look hittable but you can't get the ball out of the IF..  If pitching is indeed about disrupting a hitter's timing those guys would play well off each other as opposed to three guys all throwing sliders back to back to back.   Again, the timing may seem off but he's going to be available, I was told his interest in being in OC was legitimate and there is no question stuff wife.

I think it's likely all moot and the team isn't likely to do much so long as the TV situation remains in limbo so they may simply try to add as many non-black holes as possible on short term deals again and look to trade off, but given Canning and Anderson's expiring deals, adding someone they can count on in the rotation moving forward just seems like the smart play.  So sign him, then hope for the best out of Canning and Anderson in hopes of trading them off for useful parts and then have your rotation stalwart around to go with the next generation of SPs in 2026.

i'm not opposed to this. anderson has had some nice moments this year, but he's still anderson. snell would serve a very valuable role, not only being a quality pitcher but also helping the younger guys with insights from a 2-time CY winner. i think detmers would greatly benefit from having someone like that in the dugout to talk to.

i'd look to sign snell for about 5 years, and i'd load it up with all kinds of incentives or dollars to entice him to come to this baseball wilderness. 

Snell is an ACE, despite his terrible start in San Francisco, this season. First 8 starts in April, May and June was a 6.31 ERA -- His last 12 have been a 1.45 ERA.

If they do sign an ACE, whether it be Snell or Burnes, or Sasaki, they will definitely improve their whole staff. But they probably do not win without significant investment in the offense. They need a #4 hitter, and that's if Trout is healthy and hitting #3. DH, 2B, 3B -- all positions of concern. 

Just now, Hubs said:

Snell is an ACE, despite his terrible start in San Francisco, this season. First 8 starts in April, May and June was a 6.31 ERA -- His last 12 have been a 1.45 ERA.

If they do sign an ACE, whether it be Snell or Burnes, or Sasaki, they will definitely improve their whole staff. But they probably do not win without significant investment in the offense. They need a #4 hitter, and that's if Trout is healthy and hitting #3. DH, 2B, 3B -- all positions of concern. 

I'd try to get Flaherty too. Then trade from the young starter surplus to acquire one of the Reds infielders.