• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Those who want the Angels to sign Corbin Burnes … why?

He’s going to get a massive contract, which is the opposite of what the Angels need.

Surely by now we’ve learned our lesson that the rare times the Angels win a bidding war for an expensive FA, the contract never works out. And even if Burnes was guaranteed to have three plus Cy Young caliber seasons after he signs a deal, the Angels absolutely cannot hamstring themselves to another uber expensive player.

56 minutes ago, Taylor said:

He’s going to get a massive contract, which is the opposite of what the Angels need.

Surely by now we’ve learned our lesson that the rare times the Angels win a bidding war for an expensive FA, the contract never works out. And even if Burnes was guaranteed to have three plus Cy Young caliber seasons after he signs a deal, the Angels absolutely cannot hamstring themselves to another uber expensive player.

You may want to give us one reason Burnes would entertain the thought of signing with a team that is currently looking at the 3rd slot in the 2025 draft lottery. 

Money won't be the reason, every team bidding will be offering stupid levels of money. The Angels can't outbid their 10 years of losing. 10 years of GM instability. 10 years of manager revolving doors and 10 years of a bottom of the league minor league system.

Simply put, there is no worry of him signing a contract with the Angels. 

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

You may want to give us one reason Burnes would entertain the thought of signing with a team that is currently loking at the 3rd slot in the 2025 draft lottery. 

Money won't be the reason, every team bidding will be offering stupid levels of money. The Angels can't outbid their 10 years of losing. 10 years of GM instability. 10 years of manager revolving doors and 10 years of a bottom of the league minor league system.

Simply put, there is no worry of him signing a contract with the Angels. 

Ask this to Stradling, BTH, and others who are still drawn to flashy free agents. I agree that he’d want nothing to do with the Angels.

48 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If they got 3 Cy Young caliber seasons then yea, sign him. At that point you aren’t hamstrung, you are getting fair value for him. 

26 minutes ago, BTH said:

Because he’s one of the best pitchers in baseball and the Angels need more good pitchers.

Among qualified SPs the last 5 seasons, Burnes is:

4th in IP

2nd in fWAR

6th in ERA

4th in FIP

And what happens a few years down the road when they’re still paying him superstar money and they’re unable to invest elsewhere because of it?

Although knowing Arte, he’s not going to invest where the team needs it anyway.

Just now, Taylor said:

Ask this to Stradling, BTH, and others who are still drawn to flashy free agents. I agree that he’d want nothing to do with the Angels.

I’m drawn to the talent. By the way, you set the parameters, with your parameters, yea, I’m in favor of signing him if he’s giving you three Cy Young caliber seasons. 

Just now, Taylor said:

And what happens a few years down the road when they’re still paying him superstar money and they’re unable to invest elsewhere because of it?

What happens down the road, well hopefully Dana and others are ready to be the work horses while still under club control. 

2 hours ago, Taylor said:

The issue is if they’re paying him superstar money and he’s not worth it.

With a pitcher like him, I feel confident he’ll be worth it for the first 5-6 years.

2 hours ago, Taylor said:

Believe me, I know the Angels aren’t gonna be the most desirable destination.

But that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t pursue good players, especially the ones like Soto and Burnes who are rarely available.

And money always talks. Will Arte offer the most money? Probably not. But if he does, they’d have a shot at anyone.

Regardless of whether they some how manage to land Burnes (no reason to believe they will or can - absolutely zero) the Angels situation with the core they have is that they should try to build around it quickly -ASAP.  They’re just wasting cheap years otherwise which is deeply fucking dumb.  Plus consider the Trout factor.  Anyway the angels probably won’t get any truly marquee players because it really seems like those players for now don’t want anything to do with the Arte regime.  The stink is out there.  People can deny it all they want.  It is what it is.  

that said, they can over pay and get good free agents.  And they should. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

12 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

that said, they can over pay and get good free agents.  And they should. 

They should try to get good free agents but they shouldn't overpay even for Burners who's going to be 30 this year and is not aligned with our rebuilding.

9 minutes ago, aceofpace said:

They should try to get good free agents but they shouldn't overpay even for Burners who's going to be 30 this year and is not aligned with our rebuilding.

How is he not aligned with our rebuilding? And many high end pitchers are effective into their late 30’s these days.  I personally am not concerned with that.  Pitchers generally are very high risk because they all get hurt all the time.  All ages.  Imo the age factor is a bigger concern with the bats.  

im not sure I understand your point regarding our rebuild? They’ve got the core of their guys who appear ready to go now.  So they should leverage that and try and compete now.  The org has never pursued a true rebuild.  Most of the farm is shitty.  There’s no big influx coming from the farm.  We have like 6 or 7 guys half of whom are like 3 years away minimum.  More will appear of course but that’s just more time lost.  

3 hours ago, Chuck said:

I wonder if something is wrong with him because he's been dogshit this month for the Orioles. 

Across his past four starts he's posted a 8.91 ERA and 1.78 WHIP

I think it's just better lineups in the AL East that he's facing compared to the NL Central at this point in the season! Maybe, a little lull by their offense? Maybe, a little tired arm? His hits are up, strike outs are down compared to decreased innings compared to Milwaukee last year? 

He got hammered at Home vs Boston who is 3.5 out of the Wild Card, hammered at home vs Houston #3 today in the Standings overall as they're leading the Mehest, hammered in Cleveland who is #2 in the standings and #3 for best record... 

On 8/23/2024 at 5:58 PM, Stradling said:

If they got 3 Cy Young caliber seasons then yea, sign him. At that point you aren’t hamstrung, you are getting fair value for him. 

True, although it’s the health issues that have crippled those other big Halos contracts.

Pujols - legs and feet

Hamilton - past drug issues 

Rendon - seemingly every body part 

Even one of their own, Trout , three of the past 4 seasons has had very little games played.

When is that luck going to change?

Burnes will be 30 in 2025.   What happens if he becomes injury prone?  Already have two guys like that on big contracts.

Edited by Angel Oracle