• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Who will win the Home Run Derby?

Home Run Derby Poll  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the Home Run Derby?

• David "Hometown Hero" Wright
    • Bryce "Wanna Be Mike Trout" Harper
    • Michael "Why am I in this?" Cuddyer
    • Pedro "AJ Burnett can't spell my name" Alvaras
    • Robinson "Only Yankee Still Standing" Cano
    • Crush "Barry's Record Breaker" Davis
    • Prince "Second Best Tiger" Fielder
    • Yoenis "The Pride of the AL West" Cespedes

Prince Fielder can put on a show when he wants to.

I agree with Scioscia's comments -- these derby events not good for most players.

I think it has no impact on a guy like Fielder but some of the other players --probably messes up their swing for a week or so starting the second half of the season,

Glad our guys are not in it.

On that list, why is Cuddyer is this ? (as the name implies , above). Yes, he's been really hot and is on a real hitting streak -- which is exactly why a guy like him should skip this event.

Cuddyer is the prime profile of a guy who comes into the All Star Break sizzling hot, has to deal with the break (which is bad enough when you are really in a hitting groove -- don't need any breaks! -- and then he's going to be swinging for the fences?) enters the HR derby and then starts the second half in a huge slump.........If he's under contract to my team, I'd try to discourage him from participating in the HR Derby -- on the other hand, for Cuddyer? Who's he?  If he does well and wins this thing, it's unexpected time in the spotlight and could land him a pay day contract based on that alone (sort of like the Angels signing GMJ to that huge contract which I remain convinced was partially influenced by that ONE highlight reel catch he made in the OF for the Rangers.....how misleading that turned out to be in terms of a true measure of GMJ's defensive skills...........) oh well.

Prince Fielder can put on a show when he wants to.

I agree with Scioscia's comments -- these derby events not good for most players.

I think it has no impact on a guy like Fielder but some of the other players --probably messes up their swing for a week or so starting the second half of the season,

Glad our guys are not in it.

On that list, why is Cuddyer is this ? (as the name implies , above). Yes, he's been really hot and is on a real hitting streak -- which is exactly why a guy like him should skip this event.

Cuddyer is the prime profile of a guy who comes into the All Star Break sizzling hot, has to deal with the break (which is bad enough when you are really in a hitting groove -- don't need any breaks! -- and then he's going to be swinging for the fences?) enters the HR derby and then starts the second half in a huge slump.........If he's under contract to my team, I'd try to discourage him from participating in the HR Derby -- on the other hand, for Cuddyer? Who's he?  If he does well and wins this thing, it's unexpected time in the spotlight and could land him a pay day contract based on that alone (sort of like the Angels signing GMJ to that huge contract which I remain convinced was partially influenced by that ONE highlight reel catch he made in the OF for the Rangers.....how misleading that turned out to be in terms of a true measure of GMJ's defensive skills...........) oh well.

Have you been to a baseball game?  Do you watch batting practice? Batting practice is basically a home run derby.  Shit, I watched Chris Davis last year at the A's game break one of the windows on mount davis.

The homerun derby has no effect on their swing.  They are swinging at 40 mph soft tosses.  That doesn't change how they hit 90+ stuff. 

Have you been to a baseball game?  Do you watch batting practice? Batting practice is basically a home run derby.  Shit, I watched Chris Davis last year at the A's game break one of the windows on mount davis.

The homerun derby has no effect on their swing.  They are swinging at 40 mph soft tosses.  That doesn't change how they hit 90+ stuff. 

The whole "HR Derby ruins people's swings" perception I believe has to do with the fact that players often get into the derby (And all star game) as a result of having uncharacteristically hot first halves, only to return back to reality in the second half.

Example: Trumbo, Mark, 2012

I would not be terribly surprised to see Davis cool off a bit in the second half, and Cabrera to keep hitting at his current pace and actually win a second consecutive triple crown.

On a side note, while you might be joking I don't really get the Harper bashing, people always putting him down because he's not as good as Trout (yet). The kid is amazing. He's accumulated a 126 OPS+ in 197 games, 35 HR and 6.1 fWAR all before turning 21. Yes, Mike Trout is literally having one of the best starts to a major league career ever, but Harper is doing just fine and is going to be one of the best players of the next decade or so, along with Trout and Machado and maybe a few others.

Trumbo remained hot for a couple weeks after the ASB, including hitting 5 HR in the first 8 games back, and then tanked.

At the ASB: .306/.358/.608

15 games later: .306/.357/.604

Conclusion: The Home Run Derby had nothing to do with his decline.

Some posited it was due to an injury that never healed, but I think we can now see that Trumbo is just not a .950 OPS hitter - he is what he's been for the last three years, an .800 OPS hitter (and then only if we're lucky - his career line is actually .782).

On a side note, while you might be joking I don't really get the Harper bashing, people always putting him down because he's not as good as Trout (yet). The kid is amazing. He's accumulated a 126 OPS+ in 197 games, 35 HR and 6.1 fWAR all before turning 21. Yes, Mike Trout is literally having one of the best starts to a major league career ever, but Harper is doing just fine and is going to be one of the best players of the next decade or so, along with Trout and Machado and maybe a few others.

It's all in good fun.  I think everyone on this site knows how incredible Harper is.  Just joking around!