• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Perry Minasian gets an extension

11 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

Shirley you don't believe anyone is going to offer an impact pitcher for Taylor Ward.

Haha I feel ya.

We gave up 2/3 top prospects for a SP who started a handful of games and then DFA'd.

Sometimes there's an idiot at the table.

4 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

I’m interested to see what Perry does this offseason. I don’t think he was allowed to do much this last one. The rebuild/org is his for 2 years. 

I think that was the plan all along. Don't waste money to field a team learning the game. 

1 hour ago, samwum said:

As much as it stinks because we should have just re-signed Ohtani, I think you have to go after Soto because Soto is a legendary player, Soto would give us a great OF, Soto might allow us to trade Taylor Ward for pitching, Soto is a safer bet than a handful of mid free agents, and Soto would probably help get the most out of Trout.

While I agree with signing Soto, Arte doesn't like to deal with Boras. Also the Angels are deeply flawed in other areas, that signing Soto won't move the needle too much.  Unless Arte signs Soto and blast through the tax by signing and acquiring other players, the Angels are nowhere near the playoffs even if Soto signs with the Angels. 

1 hour ago, samwum said:

This would be so hilarious, ridiculous, and on-brand you might be right.

With that said, I say go for it.

I have 4 reasons why we should sign Soto and I will dive into each below:

• Soto might be the 2nd best free agent of all-time
  • With Soto, the Angels would have a good OF and provide trade options
  • Contrary to popular belief, the money is not better spent divided up
  • Soto would take pressure off Trout's shoulders and maybe help him stay healthy

Soto is a generational free agent

• Soto is one of the most productive free agents of all-time despite only being 25/26 years old.
  • Soto's defense is below average and will surely age horrendously. I've seen Justin Upton and Taylor Ward in LF, and Soto can't possibly be worse.
  • Bryce Harper is the best comp for Soto given Harper reached free agency at 25/26 years old too.
    • When he hit free agency, Harper had generated 28.7 WAR through his career 
    • Soto has generated 35.9 WAR and counting

With Soto, the Angels would have a good OF

• Signing Soto would provide the below depth chart
    • Soto RF
    • Trout CF
    • Ward LF
    • Adell/Moniak bench
  • Adell and Moniak would get plenty of ABs filling in for Trout's unfortunately inevitable injuries 
  • If Adell continues to develop, you may be able to trade Taylor Ward for pitching

The Money is not better spent elsewhere

• For many years, the Angels have signed superstars with flaws to mega-deals
    • Pujols could not play defense and was aging
    • Hamilton had a limited track record and previous drug problem
    • Rendon was a breakout star after previously being a great role player
  • Signing bad stars like the above is a byproduct of waiting for the "right time" to "fill a need" 
  • Spreading the money around in lieu of signing Soto is preferable, but incredibly risky and unrealistic
    • Juan Soto
      • expected ~$50mm
      • pacing for 6-9 WAR the past two seasons
      • Base case spending $8.3mm per WAR
      • Upside case spending $5.5mm per WAR
    • Tyler Anderson
      • $13mm 
      • 1.1 WAR last year, pacing for 2.5 max this season
      • Base case spending $11.8mm per WAR
      • Upside case spending $5.2mm per WAR
  • In order to effectively "spread around" the money you'd like to give to Soto, you have to get lucky on 3-4 mid-level caliber players
  • Mid-level players' hit rate is far below 100%
  • Are we really going to be the team to get lucky on 3-4 players simultaneously?

Leadership and Roles

• I fuckin' love Trouty, but his body cannot hold up
  • Signing Soto would take pressure off Trout to be the leader of the team
  • Trout has never been ultra-clutch in big moments. Soto is.

As much as it stinks because we should have just re-signed Ohtani, I think you have to go after Soto because Soto is a legendary player, Soto would give us a great OF, Soto might allow us to trade Taylor Ward for pitching, Soto is a safer bet than a handful of mid free agents, and Soto would probably help get the most out of Trout.

IMG_5573.jpeg

19 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

While I agree with signing Soto, Arte doesn't like to deal with Boras. Also the Angels are deeply flawed in other areas, that signing Soto won't move the needle too much.  Unless Arte signs Soto and blast through the tax by signing and acquiring other players, the Angels are nowhere near the playoffs even if Soto signs with the Angels. 

Didn’t stop them from signing Rendon. 

But I do agree, signing Soto won’t fix enough. I’d much rather they try to get Burnes or IMO, sign 2-4 guys for that amount of money, two mid-tier arms, two mid-tier bats, fill the holes on the team and trust the youth keeps developing and covers the rest. 

Edited by totdprods

I think Soto will sign with whatever team gives him the biggest pile of cash.

as for Perry, I'm happy he's been getting legit major leaguers out of every draft class but you really can't win until you do it with your internationals as well. Here's hoping they've already signed their 5'6" Venezuelan kid who turns into an MVP by year 8 or pitcher who sprouts 6 inches and realizes he can throw 100 with movement once he gets to A ball

3 hours ago, aceofpace said:

There's also the fact that Angels won't ever cough up whatever it will take to sign him.

Yes because if Arte is known for one thing it’s that he doesn’t give out large contracts. 

Look, his whole discussion is a level of ignorance that tops many that have been presented. But let's just distill the facts to get to the truth.

The Angels are currently in the bottom of their division, looking at the third position in the lottery for the 2025 draft.

Soto, Burns, or any other top tier free agent is not using their best career opportunity in Anaheim until the Angels show they are truly competitive. 

The Angels are not going to be competitive next season.

Discussion over.

Not sure why some here don’t understand this, but Soto is the type of guy you sign because you are on the cusp of potentially going deep into the playoffs. He’s not a guy you sign to take you from 5th to 4th. 

And, the much bigger need it starting pitching. An “ace” won’t come right now, but a couple of “threes” would be a much better investment.