• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Mike Trout to miss rest of season with another tear in his knee

20 hours ago, totdprods said:

Kinda cool account, hadn’t seen it before 

By the way, you should ignore all of this. 

I spent a little time going back and forth this morning between the Angels and this doctor, and the doctor was basing his analysis on Trout’s statement in which he used the word “repair.” To a doctor, a repair implies a specific type of surgery, while to all of us (including Trout) it just means he had surgery. 

I went back to the time of the surgery and they called it a partial medial meniscectomy, which is the surgery where they just trim off the torn part, rather than stitching it back together. The rehab for that should not have taken so long. No one can really answer that other than Trout’s doctor, and maybe not even him.

If Trout is going to be healthy for the offseason, as Perry said, that suggests doing the same surgery, but trimming a different part for a different tear. But we’ll have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

You’re overthinking.

i don’t think anyone’s expectations for Trout are higher than his own. 

1 hour ago, T.G. said:

Welcome to AW.

It's not "overthinking" to say that Minasian's comment was weird/laughable.

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

It's not "overthinking" to say that Minasian's comment was weird/laughable.

13 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

I wouldn't want my boss publicly declaring a goal for me which I new was impossible to reach.

That's overthinking. 

He's not Mike Trout.  He's overthinking what Trout might think about this.

I work as a PT and even though the doctor was talking about repairing the meniscus, there is no way Trout had that surgery as the rehabilitation for a repair is drastically different than when they just clip out the torn part of the meniscus. Trout was trying to return quickly and there was no way he was going to if he had been repaired. 

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Yeah, it was sort of a silly thing to say. But I don’t think it’s going to have any kind of negative impact on Trout, which is what @Erstad Grit seemed to be suggesting. 

To clarify, I think it makes Perry look pretentious, and I believe it actually suggests Perry is overcompensating for his concern about Trout. 

16 hours ago, cgoldangel said:

I work as a PT and even though the doctor was talking about repairing the meniscus, there is no way Trout had that surgery as the rehabilitation for a repair is drastically different than when they just clip out the torn part of the meniscus. Trout was trying to return quickly and there was no way he was going to if he had been repaired. 

That’s correct. Trout had a partial meniscectomy. The doctor was going off Trout’s use of the word “repair” in his statement, but I don’t think Trout understood the medical implication of that word. 

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

13 hours ago, Tank said:

i took perry's comments to mean he expects trout to homer in each game he plays next year.  

exciting and disappointing all at the same time. 

So we should expect 30-60 HR from him next year? Not bad, not bad.

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

That’s correct. Trout had a partial meniscectomy. The doctor was going off Trout’s use of the word “repair” in his statement, but I don’t think Trout understood the medical implication of that word. 

Jeff, I saw you're taking questions on twitter but thought you're probably more likely to see mine here than in the flurry there.

Q: Do you have any sense if Trout (or the Angels) are rethinking his training regime? His use of the phrase "work harder" (or something to that effect) makes me a bit worried that he's not looking critical of his own training as a possible factor in his frequent injuries. Or to put it another way, does he know about yoga (etc)? 

6 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Q: Do you have any sense if Trout (or the Angels) are rethinking his training regime? His use of the phrase "work harder" (or something to that effect) makes me a bit worried that he's not looking critical of his own training as a possible factor in his frequent injuries. Or to put it another way, does he know about yoga (etc)? 

I’ll add this one. 

On 8/3/2024 at 1:59 PM, Angelsjunky said:

Jeff, I saw you're taking questions on twitter but thought you're probably more likely to see mine here than in the flurry there.

I started to answer this question by saying that Trout has said for the past couple years that he does have a new routine with a lot of different people involved that has helped him avoid the strains and stretches and soft tissue injuries. He talked about this again as recently as last summer. Last year's injury was a broken bone, so that's obviously not preventable. The fact that it took him so long to get back is just him. (Healing? Pain tolerance? I don't know.)

Then this year he had the torn meniscus. My first instinct was to suggest that's also not a "soft tissue" injury. However, I did some googling and it seems it's sort of in a different category. It's not really a soft tissue like muscles, tendons and ligaments, but it's also not like breaking a bone. One of the ways to keep your cartilage strong (according to google) is stretching. Another is to just have less weight for it to bear. So the bottom line is this is something I'm going to ask about.

I did answer a question in there about him DHing. I think that's what it's going to come down to. It doesn't seem like the individual stresses of playing the field are any worse than the stresses of hitting and running the bases, but there's just more volume of them if you're doing both.

18 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I started to answer this question by saying that Trout has said for the past couple years that he does have a new routine with a lot of different people involved that has helped him avoid the strains and stretches and soft tissue injuries. He talked about this again as recently as last summer. Last year's injury was a broken bone, so that's obviously not preventable. The fact that it took him so long to get back is just him. (Healing? Pain tolerance? I don't know.)

Then this year he had the torn meniscus. My first instinct was to suggest that's also not a "soft tissue" injury. However, I did some googling and it seems it's sort of in a different category. It's not really a soft tissue like muscles, tendons and ligaments, but it's also not like breaking a bone. One of the ways to keep your cartilage strong (according to google) is stretching. Another is to just have less weight for it to bear. So the bottom line is this is something I'm going to ask about.

I did answer a question in there about him DHing. I think that's what it's going to come down to. It doesn't seem like the individual stresses of playing the field are any worse than the stresses of hitting and running the bases, but there's just more volume of them if you're doing both.

Thanks. I tend to think his build has a lot to do with it; some of that is unavoidable, but some can be adjusted (e.g. amount of muscle/weight). I wonder also if diet/nutrition is a factor. But I think of guys with similar collapses - Pujols, Griffey, Andruw Jones - and they all are of a roughly similar body type.

It almost seems like a dice roll every time he takes the field, so I suppose DHing improves his chances of playing more if only because it is less rolls of the dice. But I think you're right that it doesn't make each roll any more or less risky, just less frequent.

9 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Pujols, Griffey, Andruw Jones - and they all are of a roughly similar body type.

I don't agree with this at all. 

What I heard about Griffey is that he just didn't work out at all until it was too late. Just coasted on his natural talent. And Pujols was probably just a couple years older than we thought, so his decline was probably normal for his real age.

I can't speak to Andruw Jones.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I don't agree with this at all. 

What I heard about Griffey is that he just didn't work out at all until it was too late. Just coasted on his natural talent. And Pujols was probably just a couple years older than we thought, so his decline was probably normal for his real age.

I can't speak to Andruw Jones.

I was referring to body type only - not training regime: big, bulky guys, not thin and lanky.

EDIT: I didn't know that about Griffey, but it makes sense - based upon what I do remember about his early years. I was a kid when he reached bigs, and I remember him as the first mega-prospect that I was aware of. 

As for Pujols, I did a study several years back re-aligning his stats and decline with +2 or 3 years and comparing it to other similar players, and it made a lot more sense and was along the lines of more typical decline. IOW, that first year as an Angel (2012, "31") makes a lot more sense if he was 33 or 34.

Edited by Angelsjunky

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

I was referring to body type only - not training regime: big, bulky guys, not thin and lanky.

EDIT: I didn't know that about Griffey, but it makes sense - based upon what I do remember about his early years. I was a kid when he reached bigs, and I remember him as the first mega-prospect that I was aware of. 

As for Pujols, I did a study several years back re-aligning his stats and decline with +2 or 3 years and comparing it to other similar players, and it made a lot more sense and was along the lines of more typical decline. IOW, that first year as an Angel (2012, "31") makes a lot more sense if he was 33 or 34.

I was referring to body type too. 

Griffey wasn’t big and bulky because he didn’t work out. 

Pujols never seemed especially muscular either. 

Nothing like Trout. 

9 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I was referring to body type too. 

Griffey wasn’t big and bulky because he didn’t work out. 

Pujols never seemed especially muscular either. 

Nothing like Trout. 

OK, fair enough. My memory of Griffey is that he bulked up quite a bit later on, though it might have been in response to his decline and/or just the simple difference of 20ish to 30+.