• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official Trout Appreciation Thread

Oh, and crazily enough, Trout's 12 WAR in 2021-24 is still 44th (or basically tied with Michael Kwan who is at 43rd, also with 12.0). Meaning, despite averaging just 67 games a season, there are only 42 guys who have produced more WAR in that span of time. Meaning, a declining Trout playing 41% of the time has still been better than all but 42 position players. 

That's 44th out of 282 guys with 1000+ PA (Trout has 1133). Everyone above him has at least 1526 PA; in other words, he has the most WAR of anyone with 1525 or fewer PA.

Edited by Angelsjunky

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

And I said exactly that - the similarity being that "neither have been worth their money." But that's very black and white. Trout is still a good player and has averaged 3 WAR per year over the last four, despite playing only 41% of games. That still provides some value. 12 WAR in 266 games = 7.3 WAR per 162 games. 

That said, half of that value came just in 2022. The last two years he's produced 3.8 WAR in 111 games, which is 5.5 per 162 games. 2023 was an obviously dip, but the caveat is that he was just coming out of a long slump and raked for the last few weeks before getting hurt, and this year he didn't play enough to really assess his level.

None of this is polishing a turd, but it is pointing out the simple fact that Trout is still a good player, Rendon is not.

There is no value in 40% of some games, not knowing when those would be. It's not like he is a bench player that produces when someone is out over the entire season  He is the guy out. Zero value for a season. Just zero. Making excuses because he used to be great doesn't fill that role on the roster but it does take away a body from the 40 man as he goes from day to day to never another day. 

Trout is a liability. 

3 hours ago, Blarg said:

There is no value in 40% of some games, not knowing when those would be. It's not like he is a bench player that produces when someone is out over the entire season  He is the guy out. Zero value for a season. Just zero. Making excuses because he used to be great doesn't fill that role on the roster but it does take away a body from the 40 man as he goes from day to day to never another day. 

Trout is a liability. 

@Angelsjunkyliterally gave you his value over those years and then you say he’s provided no value.

I love you 

The last four years his partial seasons add no value to the team. Losing your centerfielder for 120 games a year is a fucking disaster. War is a stupid counting stat, it can rise and fall during the season. You might as well talk about his batting average or on base percentage for all the statistical value it brings. 

What WAR can't make up for is all the games Trout doesn't play. It doesn't spread across the season as value, it dies with his sore knee, calf, hand, and doesn't provide the Angels with a winning season of value. It is just like a Moniak hitting streak, you wait around for it to reappear and it doesn't. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

The last four years his partial seasons add no value to the team. Losing your centerfielder for 120 games a year is a fucking disaster. War is a stupid counting stat, it can rise and fall during the season. You might as well talk about his batting average or on base percentage for all the statistical value it brings. 

What WAR can't make up for is all the games Trout doesn't play. It doesn't spread across the season as value, it dies with his sore knee, calf, hand, and doesn't provide the Angels with a winning season of value. It is just like a Moniak hitting streak, you wait around for it to reappear and it doesn't. 

Counting stats generally don't do that because you count them. 

I hope this helps!

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

WAR is a counting stat that can go up and down, yet only 43 others have compiled more of said stat over the past 4 years than Mike Trout. 

I truly don't know how it's difficult to comprehend.  You're just stuck with the narrative that he's an albatross of a contract because he's not out there 130+ games a year (understandable point of view), but to say he adds no value is just retarded silly.

Hopefully this is a sign to Trout as Hunter moved over for him, his days of CF are done. He needs to lay of stealing bases unless it is truly a critical game. You're in the HOF Trout, please take a page from GA and dial it down to attempt to stay healthy. 

Nothing but positives to say about him or his attitude. 

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I thought Hunter moved for Bourjos and Bourjos moved for Trout?

No.  Bourjos debuted first and never played anything but center for the Angels (until his late career cameo in 2019).

5 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

WAR is a counting stat that can go up and down, yet only 43 others have compiled more of said stat over the past 4 years than Mike Trout. 

I truly don't know how it's difficult to comprehend.  You're just stuck with the narrative that he's an albatross of a contract because he's not out there 130+ games a year (understandable point of view), but to say he adds no value is just retarded silly.

He adds no value. He only creates a void missing 90-120 games a year. Some stupid counting stat doesn't nullify that. They can't win a division with Trout there less than part time. So he is now and has been a liability for 4 years.

It's like a Ferrari you can't drive but say it's in the shop and will be so cool when it runs. But it costs you garage space and a hefty payment to drive it only 30% of the time. You might as well have a Spitfire, at least they are cheap. 

3 minutes ago, Blarg said:

He adds no value. He only creates a void missing 90-120 games a year. Some stupid counting stat doesn't nullify that. They can't win a division with Trout there less than part time. So he is now and has been a liability for 4 years.

It's like a Ferrari you can't drive but say it's in the shop and will be so cool when it runs. But it costs you garage space and a hefty payment to drive it only 30% of the time. You might as well have a Spitfire, at least they are cheap. 

What value did he provide when he played full seasons then? They won 1 division title in his 8 full years in the 2010's.

2 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

What value did he provide when he played full seasons then? They won 1 division title in his 8 full years in the 2010's.

Don't be stupid, please. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

My main point was Hunter moved for Bourjos not Trout. 

Sorry, didn’t read the post you were replying too fully so just wanted to hop on my “gotcha” post, as Cali says 

On 8/2/2024 at 11:58 AM, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

You think Trout better than Pujols?  Prime for prime, Albert may be better but I’m not looking at stats and there’s noting wrong with your opinion.  

“Greatest player I’ve ever seen” is a very strong statement and you’ve seen guys for a very long time.  

I don’t know how I’d answer that   Some amazing stats on certain players that are mind blowing.  

tony Gwynn comes to mind  

Tony Gwynn was certainly one of the good ones, with a long and healthy career, too. He never got the respect he earned as a defender, though, as he did win a GG.  Albert Pujols I am still grumpy over as he was on the Angels. In his prime, not only was he a great all-around hitter, but he was also a gold-glover as well. I think Trout should have won one GG. 

So people saying Judge is best player they’ve ever seen.  I don’t think he’s played nearly long enough.  Better than Trout?  No.  But that’s the kind of narrow viewpoints fans have of their guy.  I’d put Pujols Arod In front of Trout.  That’s not counting the studs from the 70s and 80s I saw.