• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The jury's in on Perry Minasian

4 hours ago, bruin5 said:

I’m late with the Herald Examiner comments but I liked the Herald much more than the LA Times. Malamud and Krikorian were great. The Angels had a good beat writer as well but I just cannot remember his name. 

There was only one writer I didn’t like or didn’t get: Melvin Durslag. He had the front page/left column spot but I skipped over him most of the time. Maybe it was his USC education….

Two beat writers that I remember were Bud Furillo and Ross Newhan.

10 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

What exactly made you think that?

The way he answered. It seemed out of character for him to be short and not be in full PR mode. However the MLBN interview really changed my mind about that. He actually was open and honest about the process and based on your reporting, that interview, and the aftermath, I don’t think that anymore. 

Interesting to know if he knew about Trout’s injury at that time. 

8 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

The way he answered. It seemed out of character for him to be short and not be in full PR mode. However the MLBN interview really changed my mind about that. He actually was open and honest about the process and based on your reporting, that interview, and the aftermath, I don’t think that anymore. 

Interesting to know if he knew about Trout’s injury at that time. 

It was also within like an hour of the deadline ending, and I imagine he’d been in a totally different zone for pretty much the 24 hours prior, if not entire week. 

It makes sense that he’d be frustrated or short with answers after the deadline.

Like all of us— seeing some of the prices other teams paid— I’m sure he was hoping other teams would do the same with his players. And they didn’t do that after Estévez.

Not to mention the grind of the deadline, not too far after the draft.

17 minutes ago, BTH said:

It makes sense that he’d be frustrated or short with answers after the deadline.

Like all of us— seeing some of the prices other teams paid— I’m sure he was hoping other teams would do the same with his players. And they didn’t do that after Estévez.

Not to mention the grind of the deadline, not too far after the draft.

Yeah I mean dude’s job is probably on the line. There were things he probably hoped to accomplish that didn’t happen one way or the other. Guys weren’t valued enough, teams went different directions, ran out of time, whatever.

On 8/1/2024 at 5:17 AM, Angelsjunky said:

I get it - I was there, too, about 36 hours ago, and still veer in that direction. But even so, especially considering that the "old players" aren't on expiring contracts, there's still a baseline level of return, in terms of adequacy. You don't trade 40 starts of Tyler Anderson at a reasonable rate for a 35 FV guy, just because he's 34. Rengifo, in particular, should require a substantial return - not Jackson Holliday, obviously, but something good. Pillar, I think, had zero trade value - they probably weren't offered more than cash considerations, and then it gets into the human level. They've still got to run a ballclub made up of people. And Ward is at a low-point in value, so Perry might have felt that we know he's better than this, so didn't want to trade him for less than what he's actually capable of.

Strickland is a bit baffling, because I don't see why they couldn't have gotten something approaching the Garcia package. Not sure what happened there.

I get where you're coming from. Totally fair. 

To me, the thing is you do have to trade Tyler Anderson for a 35 FV guy, even though Anderson may be valuable to us next year.

The challenge was never trading Anderson or Rengifo. The challenge was finding an undervalued or underappreciated prospect to develop and get us closer to being good in a couple years.

We all know we are rebuilding.

Our front office is facing the challenge of rebuilding. 

In an alternate universe, we'd be facing the challenge of loading up for the playoffs.

Whether you are rebuilding or competing, if an easy deal isn't there, you have to take a risk and make a good tough deal.

Honestly, the biggest problem is Perry doesn't have the job security to make a ballsy trade for a 35 FV and see him pan out in a couple years.