• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The jury's in on Perry Minasian

13 hours ago, HaloBronco said:

Absolutely loved the Herald Examiner. 

Also loved listening to Krikorian with Joe McDonnell on the radio show they had together (The McDonnel-Douglas Show). 

A childhood acquaintance of mine, Lew Stowers, did news segments during McDonnell Douglas. 

Joe was a big rasslin fan and had guys on the show periodically, like Rob Van Dam.

Doug for years covered LB State basketball for the LB Press-Telegram.

Edited by Angel Oracle

13 hours ago, HaloBronco said:

Absolutely loved the Herald Examiner. 

same here. i learned a lot about sports reading through its' pages day after day after day. couldn't get enough of it.

when i was in high school i started reading malamud's notes on a scorecard. i loved that column and always read that first thing each day. 

1 hour ago, T.G. said:

I covered high school basketball for the Herald once. I did a game at Manual Arts High School for my first game and the next week was scheduled to go to Fremont, but when I heard about a shooting on campus  I quit. 

One and done.

I can relate!  I did a ton of this for the Herald, Times, etc.  I remember filing a game story over a pay phone on a street corner in a very bad part of LA late on a Friday night where I was legitimately concerned I could be murdered.

I remember we had these weird Radio Shack phone devices you would hook up to the phone receiver to transmit the story.  You had to just stand there while it transmits like a sitting duck.

Edited by Dtwncbad

8 hours ago, Tank said:

same here. i learned a lot about sports reading through its' pages day after day after day. couldn't get enough of it.

when i was in high school i started reading malamud's notes on a scorecard. i loved that column and always read that first thing each day. 

Notes on a scorecard was the best read of the day.

7 hours ago, T.G. said:

I covered high school basketball for the Herald once. I did a game at Manual Arts High School for my first game and the next week was scheduled to go to Fremont, but when I heard about a shooting on campus  I quit. 

One and done.

my dad graduated from manual arts high in 1944. different demographics back then. 

1 hour ago, Duren, Duren said:

Guess comes in last place in farm system rankings? 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/40733088/2024-mlb-prospect-rankings-update-farm-systems-top-30-teams-draft-trade-deadline

But there are a few grudgingly complimentary words. 

To be fair, they probably still climbed a few spots if there were more than 30 teams. And I wonder where they’d be ranked if Neto, Schanuel, and Joyce hadn’t moved up so quick.

These take time. I’m starting to fall into the ‘Keep Perry’ for one more camp simply because the track record of drafting/trading for impact players is really strong, especially if Moore is for real and at least one of Aldegheri or Klassen turn into a full-time starter or reliever. One more year of this would do more for the farm than any GM since Stoneman, and no guarantee a new guy would be any better than what we have now, at least for short-term impact.

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I’m starting to fall into the ‘Keep Perry’ for one more camp simply because the track record of drafting/trading for impact players is really strong

For me, it depends on what the direction/goal is for next season.

If they aren’t gonna spend money and anticipate selling at the deadline + another year of development, keep Perry.

But if Arte is gonna open the purse strings and they want to supplement around the young core, they should move on from Perry.

I think the ideal scenario is probably Perry/Wash for one more year of development, then bring in a new regime to actually win in 2026 and beyond.

Edited by BTH

2 hours ago, BTH said:

think the ideal scenario is probably Perry/Wash for one more year of development, then bring in a new regime to actually win in 2026 and beyond.

That’s exactly what I want. And I agree, if they want to shift to win-now next year - which is a mistake IMO - Perry might not be right.

But ‘rebuilding’? Hard to argue with his track record at this point, at least hard to argue someone could step in and draft/sell better in their first year on the job.

2 hours ago, Slegnaac said:

This^^^

I don't see any new guy coming in and making an immediate impact.  It would likely take a few seasons for this cargo ship to adjust course.

Yup. With how bad the farm is, how poor their sellable assets have been, how bad their international program is, whatever level of meddling or limiting Arte has…no one is gonna step in and turn things around in one year. 

Let Perry and Ron keep doing what they’re doing for a year, get another draft, see if his international prospects in IE start making some impact in TC/RC (indicating we may have finally righted that ship) and then we can consider what to do end of 2025.

Edited by totdprods

I am always on these boards and while I don’t comment often, some of you who comment on this boards are straight up ignorant and I mean that quite literally.  None of you have been a GM and none of you know of the conversations he had with other teams about our players.  Based on the fact there is a good chance 2024 is a year to see who we have to build upon, salary and control on guys like Rengifo, Ward and Taylor play into this.  Have you guys thought that maybe this team isn’t going into full rebuild mode after this year?  Trading those guys would force us to suck for a long time because aside from Moore and Dana there really aren’t guys ready to come up next year.  By keeping cost controlled guys on the roster it will allow Perry (or the next GM) to do add some nice players next year to just maybe contend but without these players to fill depth there just isn’t a chance.

It’s fun to speculate guys but to constantly calling for someone to be replaced or to even give a grade when none of us really know the organizational plan or what actually happened at the deadline is quite unfair   Just be happy your job performance isn’t judged this way.

1 hour ago, Angelfann9961 said:

I am always on these boards and while I don’t comment often, some of you who comment on this boards are straight up ignorant and I mean that quite literally.  None of you have been a GM and none of you know of the conversations he had with other teams about our players.  Based on the fact there is a good chance 2024 is a year to see who we have to build upon, salary and control on guys like Rengifo, Ward and Taylor play into this.  Have you guys thought that maybe this team isn’t going into full rebuild mode after this year?  Trading those guys would force us to suck for a long time because aside from Moore and Dana there really aren’t guys ready to come up next year.  By keeping cost controlled guys on the roster it will allow Perry (or the next GM) to do add some nice players next year to just maybe contend but without these players to fill depth there just isn’t a chance.

It’s fun to speculate guys but to constantly calling for someone to be replaced or to even give a grade when none of us really know the organizational plan or what actually happened at the deadline is quite unfair   Just be happy your job performance isn’t judged this way.

I think the Deadline Day interview with Perry made it seem like he wanted to trade but wasn't allowed to. Since then, I feel differently. Rengifo had an injury that is now keeping him out for the season. Ward may have had some offers, but do we really need more Lugo level guys in our system at the cost of a dependable LF? Ward will have value this offseason because he's a cheap option for 2 years. 

Anderson I probably would have still traded, but it is pretty clear the Astros offer was an outlier. We weren't getting a team's 3rd best prospect. 

I actually think the results are starting to show for what Perry has done. Yes, we could take the Orioles route. The Orioles were absolutely awful for 5 years, and sold and drafted top picks in order to get to where they are today. It's easy for us to say now we should have done that from 2015 - 2019. But nobody would have enjoyed it in the process; it would have been awful, especially with Trout and Ohtani for a few of those years. So Perry tried to bulid a core with what he was allowed to do, and it has produced an elite Catcher, an approaching elite SS (already Top 7-8 at 23), a very solid 1B, a #2-3 starter, a closer, and what is looking to be an elite hitting 2B. That doesn't include Trout, with whatever he provides. That's a really good start. 

3 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

I think the Deadline Day interview with Perry made it seem like he wanted to trade but wasn't allowed to.

I got the sense he would’ve liked to make more deals but the offers weren’t there, and he was frustrated his guys weren’t being valued higher, or maybe some teams pivoted.

Edited by totdprods

All we have are the facts @Jeff Fletcher reported: That the offers weren't that good. Anderson, Rengifo, and Ward didn't have much value to other teams so Perry didn't trade for the sake of it. 

Could that be fluff from Minasian? Maybe. But everything else is pure speculation and Jeff doesn't seem to get the indication that Perry wasn't "allowed" to trade certain players. At least that's my interpretation. 

I’m late with the Herald Examiner comments but I liked the Herald much more than the LA Times. Malamud and Krikorian were great. The Angels had a good beat writer as well but I just cannot remember his name. 

There was only one writer I didn’t like or didn’t get: Melvin Durslag. He had the front page/left column spot but I skipped over him most of the time. Maybe it was his USC education….