• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The jury's in on Perry Minasian

51 minutes ago, BTH said:

Sure, there’s no denying that the circumstances are different.

I just worry that the single biggest factor (Arte) remains, and that could kibosh anything.

They were clearly open to trading players away now but I just worry (with Arte’s track record) that even if the right value is presented to them in a trade this offseason, he’s gonna want to keep them and believe they can contend in 2025.

I spent about an hour talking to Arte in spring training and he made it pretty clear to me that he didn't think the Angels were in "go for it" mode. That was the source of the whole "not going to spend money just to spend money" quote. People ripped him for that, but isn't that exactly how a retooling/rebuilding team is supposed to act? 

I also heard this week from someone that Arte acknowledges where the Angels are. 

Also, maybe the fact that attendance hasn't really cratered, even without Ohtani and with a bad team, has weirdly given Arte confidence that the Angels can do a longer-term rebuilding. (Aside: people seem to hate on the fans who give Arte their money when the team stinks, but those people are financing the rebuild, so you should be nice to them.)

I believe that, now that Ohtani is no longer on the table and the "wasting Trout's prime" ship has sailed, Arte is letting Perry do what he wants. I could be wrong, but that's the feeling I've gotten this year, starting with talking to Arte and continuing through this week.

9 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I spent about an hour talking to Arte in spring training and he made it pretty clear to me that he didn't think the Angels were in "go for it" mode. That was the source of the whole "not going to spend money just to spend money" quote. People ripped him for that, but isn't that exactly how a retooling/rebuilding team is supposed to act? 

That’s how a retooling/rebuilding team in a small or even medium market is supposed to act.

I think the frustration there is that the Angels are a large enough market team that they could do an early 2010s Dodgers-style rebuild where they spend tons of money, go over the luxury tax, and put a competitive team on the field while developing the farm system.

But Arte hasn’t been willing to go over the luxury tax like that and spend money on infrastructure at the level the Dodgers do to enable that kind of simultaneous contention/development. And that’s why he gets ripped.

14 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I also heard this week from someone that Arte acknowledges where the Angels are. 

But this and the post below are encouraging to hear. Thanks for that insight.

14 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I believe that, now that Ohtani is no longer on the table and the "wasting Trout's prime" ship has sailed, Arte is letting Perry do what he wants. I could be wrong, but that's the feeling I've gotten this year, starting with talking to Arte and continuing through this week.

And I don’t doubt what you’re saying, but I just need to see more specific actions from him before I’m convinced.

20 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Arte is letting Perry do what he wants. I could be wrong, but that's the feeling I've gotten this year, starting with talking to Arte and continuing through this week.

Do you think Perry will be back?

Just now, Jeff Fletcher said:

I wouldn't be surprised either way at this point.

If Perry is let go, do you think Arte would be willing to hire a GM with experience?

Or same old first-time GM?

6 minutes ago, BTH said:

I think the frustration there is that the Angels are a large enough market team that they could do an early 2010s Dodgers-style rebuild where they spend tons of money, go over the luxury tax, and put a competitive team on the field while developing the farm system.

That's a lot to ask for. I don't think the Angels are at same financial level as the Dodgers, even being in Southern California. I think the Dodgers, Yankees and Red Sox are their own tier, and the Angels are in the next tier, with teams like the Braves, Cubs, Blue Jays, etc.

This isn’t a reflection of fletcher.  But I wish we had NY style media bashing Arte and the angels at every turn.  

we are soft and they get a pass.  The dodgers get a pass and they should have won by now.  

I value that the NY Post has 8 different articles/columns daily about how atrocious the Mets are and how underwhelming the Yankees are. 

30 minutes ago, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

This isn’t a reflection of fletcher.  But I wish we had NY style media bashing Arte and the angels at every turn.  

we are soft and they get a pass.  The dodgers get a pass and they should have won by now.  

I value that the NY Post has 8 different articles/columns daily about how atrocious the Mets are and how underwhelming the Yankees are. 

I'm fine with the way the media handles things in So. Cal.  I would argue we have our priorities straight over places like NY. 

Reading tons of stuff about how bad the Angels and Arte Moreno are doesn't appeal to me in the least.  I know they suck. I don't need to see why from a million different angles.  I have better things to do with my time.

31 minutes ago, T.G. said:

I'm fine with the way the media handles things in So. Cal.  I would argue we have our priorities straight over places like NY. 

Reading tons of stuff about how bad the Angels and Arte Moreno are doesn't appeal to me in the least.  I know they suck. I don't need to see why from a million different angles.  I have better things to do with my time.

It’s not about your time; it’s about holding the team accountable.  

two different things.  

28 minutes ago, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

It’s not about your time; it’s about holding the team accountable.  

two different things.  

I don't know that "media pressure" is a real thing.  It took Boston years before it started winning and their media can be brutal.

And please explain what "holding the team accountable" actually looks like.  I'm not being a smart ass, I'm curious as to what you think that means.

It’s well stated by New York players of nearly every sport the scrutiny and pressure they feel from the relentless media.  

I was in media in LA for 20 years. It’s softballs and sweet treatment.  If you crossed Kobe back in the day, your access was limited.  Magic, also.  

everything here is play nice.  TJ Simers was really the only media columnist to grind gears.  Maybe Alan Malamud 30 years ago.  

even the talk radio which features/featured many local sports anchors and writers were soft. 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

The only way to hold a team accountable is attendance 

I disagree.  That certainly is the best way.  But you’ll still have people that have your fandom that will spend because it’s all they’ve ever done.  

you think handlebar mustache dude behind home plate giving up those seats?  I don’t.  Write offs and giveaway perks for businesses will always be part of the ticket purchasing. 

I guarantee if someone was dragging Arte through the mud every day, he’d be feeling it.  He’s still going to laugh his way to the bank.  So he gets the last middle finger.  But nobody wants to sit and read hit piece after hit piece on themselves.  It’s unflattering for the Mrs at the country club and in social circles. 

6 minutes ago, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

I disagree.  That certainly is the best way.  But you’ll still have people that have your fandom that will spend because it’s all they’ve ever done.  

you think handlebar mustache dude behind home plate giving up those seats?  I don’t.  Write offs and giveaway perks for businesses will always be part of the ticket purchasing. 

I guarantee if someone was dragging Arte through the mud every day, he’d be feeling it.  He’s still going to laugh his way to the bank.  So he gets the last middle finger.  But nobody wants to sit and read hit piece after hit piece on themselves.  It’s unflattering for the Mrs at the country club and in social circles. 

So everything you said comes back to the only way to hold him accountable is through attendance. If you write about how shitty he is he’s still laughing all the way to the bank as you said. Diehards and casuals are one and the same. They still go to games. 

11 minutes ago, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

I guarantee if someone was dragging Arte through the mud every day, he’d be feeling it.

Are you familiar with a writer who covers the Angels for The Athletic?

Some on here hate him so much for his negativity that they created a parody account of his on Twitter.

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So everything you said comes back to the only way to hold him accountable is through attendance. If you write about how shitty he is he’s still laughing all the way to the bank as you said. Diehards and casuals are one and the same. They still go to games. 

You can be wealthy and miserable or pissed.  

I guarantee he doesn’t want heat.  

But he doesn’t get heat.  Look how little heat he got for the whole stadium land deal with Sidhu.  

3 minutes ago, BTH said:

Some on here hate him so much for his negativity that they created a parody account of his on Twitter.

I’m not.  That is circling the drain, losing money.  Also not front and center.  It’s nowhere to be found On TV in the LA market, in the Times, in the Register, or any of the SCNG papers.  

I do see some calling him out but it’s not a consistent presence in OC or even the LA market, which he so covets.  

I don’t know about Arte at all. Maybe he still lives in AZ most of the time.  I just know he doesn’t sweat for having a shitty product. 

Edited by The Ghost of Bob Starr

On 8/2/2024 at 7:49 AM, Stradling said:

If they got “really good offers” those players would have been traded. My source is common sense.
Also in hindsight Arte botching that trade benefitted the Angels. 

I can guarantee that is not the case.

On 8/2/2024 at 7:20 PM, BTH said:

Lol.... What's the Twitter handle?  Because it's only parody if it's actually funny

On 8/2/2024 at 6:03 PM, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

It’s well stated by New York players of nearly every sport the scrutiny and pressure they feel from the relentless media.  

I was in media in LA for 20 years. It’s softballs and sweet treatment.  If you crossed Kobe back in the day, your access was limited.  Magic, also.  

everything here is play nice.  TJ Simers was really the only media columnist to grind gears.  Maybe Alan Malamud 30 years ago.  

even the talk radio which features/featured many local sports anchors and writers were soft. 

Speaking of grinding gears let us not forget one of Malamud's partners, Mr. Doug Krikorian. 

Loved it when Allan would call him "son of Krikor."

Good times....

~ArkyAngelsFan~