• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The jury's in on Perry Minasian

For awhile he was new, and we all figured it would take him awhile to execute his grand plan. As bad as not trading Ohtani was, it was forgivable, given the circumstances. He even gets a tiny bit of kudos for showing restraint and not signing any big contracts in the offseason.

But this trade deadline...I mean, really?

I know, last minute trades could be coming through and I'll gladly eat crow. But let's take things as they stand now:

• Sent Carlos Estevez to the Phillies for Klassen and Aldeghiri. Good trade - a promising start.
  • Acquired Michael Baumann for cash considerations. Meh.
  • Traded Luis Garcia to the Red Sox for...presumably a few quad-A types EDIT: four fringe prospects.

Meanwhile, Pillar, Strickland, Anderson, Ward, Canning and Rengifo are all still Angels, and the farm system still sucks.

Not trading Pillar and Strickland for anything is just silly. Not seizing the opportunity on Anderson - pretty forgiveable.

I think the jury is in on Perry, and he's just a bad GM. We can't blame everything on Arte, at least if we take Perry on his word that he had full autonomy this deadline.

Edited by Angelsjunky

3 minutes ago, mmc said:

Where you lose me is where you assume teams had interest in some of our shitty players

Probably the interest in Anderson, Strickland, Canning and Ward was tepid, and Pillar virtually non-existent. But so what? You trade those guys for the best that you can get, and I'm guessing he got decent offers for Anderson and Ward - enough to pull the trigger in a rebuild.

I'm ok holding onto Rengifo, though I'm guessing he got some pretty good offers.

I understand not trading Rengifo or Ward, as they have control next year and will still be on the inexpensive end of the pricing market.

Both should be under 15M total. The Angels do not have any 3B or OF pushing for time at AAA or AA. 

Rendon is constantly hurt. Trout is also hurt. Adell and Moniak aren't performing up to snuff.

I don't understand not trading Tyler Anderson.

His deal was a mistake in general, he's pitched great this year, despite his peripherals not being as good as his results.

You would free up 13M to spend on a legit hitter or an ace, and have a lot of untested depth in the minors to give his remaining 10-11 starts to.

Next year, he might command a bit at the deadline if they have a full rotation, but...

Pillar couldn't be traded for a PTBNL or Cash? Same for Calhoun?

27 minutes ago, mmc said:

Where you lose me is where you assume teams had interest in some of our shitty players

Anderson, Ward, and Rengifo are not shitty players.  They are not great players either.  They will not lead us to the playoffs next year so it was stupid holding on to them.

It seems like Perry is just waiting for the season to wrap up, and I wouldn't be surprised if Arte gets involved again. As for the trades Perry made, I'd say they were quite solid. He got two top-10 prospects for Estevez, one top-25 prospect from the Sox, a young unknown player similar to Cabbage for AAA, and another AAAA pitcher.

I’m surprised the Pillar trade didn't work out; I thought the Royals could have been a good trade market, even for some AAA/AAAA players.

I wasn't expecting to see Rengifo and Ward traded either.

However, the question needs to be asked: what was being offered for Anderson?

I truly do not believe if we know if he is a good GM or not. 

What we do know is that the working relationship he has with the Angels has been far from successful.

I believe Arte didn't want to move players in control next year so the job doesn't look as grim as a team without that talent. Again, if true, the focus is too micro from Moreno. The new GM would have preferred the prospects in this case. 

40 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Looks like we're gonna have everyone clamoring for the angels to play musical GMs again. Firing and re-hiring the front office every 4 years is not a winning strategy.

I don't blame Perry I blame the POS Arte. Perry today totally sounded like he can't wait to leave 

33 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Hard to imagine every GM Arte hires is a fool.

Most likely these guys were hung on to so that they could be the foundation for next year's team, in which Arte will once again be going ALL IN!

When everyone you meet is an asshole etc