• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Thanks, Colorado

I just returned from my first trip to Colorado. Before this, my only experience with the state was making connections at the Denver airport. Most of the people that I met were friendly, and there is a lot to see and do. We were staying just outside Fort Collins, visiting my stepdaughter who is a veterinarian in the area. I liked Fort Collins a lot, Colorado Springs was nice, Denver less so (traffic was a lot worse than I expected, lasting long before we got there and well beyond) and Greeley reminded me of seedy areas in Jacksonville that you didn't want to be in after dark. The first Buc-ee's in Colorado (in Johnstown along I-25) was about 12 miles from the hotel. We will probably go back in the fall. 

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

We really like Colorado. Fort Collins is pretty close to Estes Park, which houses the front entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park.

If you come back during the fall, drive west on I-70 toward Aspen. You can hike into Maroon Bells until the first weekend of October. The fall colors up there are breathtaking.

Or even head to the southwest part of the state, near Durango and Telluride. The “Million Dollar Highway” between Durango and Ouray is one of the most scenic places in the U.S.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Taylor said:

We really like Colorado. Fort Collins is pretty close to Estes Park, which houses the front entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park.

If you come back during the fall, drive west on I-70 toward Aspen. You can hike into Maroon Bells until the first weekend of October. The fall colors up there are breathtaking.

Or even head to the southwest part of the state, near Durango and Telluride. The “Million Dollar Highway” between Durango and Ouray is one of the most scenic places in the U.S.

Our route took us along I-70 from Utah. Some interesting towns along the route - No Name, Rifle and Parachute. It was longer than I usually drive in one stretch, but we made the trip in one day both ways. My wife doesn't drive, so I drove it all myself. I was much better at stretches like that when I was younger. One observation: Colorado needs to resurface a lot of their highways. 

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

12 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Our route took us along I-70 from Utah. Some interesting towns along the route - No Name, Rifle and Parachute. It was longer than I usually drive in one stretch, but we made the trip in one day both ways. My wife doesn't drive, so I drove it all myself. I was much better at stretches like that when I was younger. One observation: Colorado needs to resurface a lot of their highways. 

Glenwood Springs is another cool town along that route. There’s an amusement park/mine tour place on the cliff above it.

Posted (edited)

I made the mistake of believing that I could actually see the Air Force Academy (where my cousin played football for a year). I could see the stadium in the distance from I-25, but the Academy itself is like going into any other Air Force base.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Also the Budweiser and Coors breweries give tours. They used to give a free beer after the tour. I don't drink so I drank water. Some of the best water I've ever had. Their purification process is amazing. My kids had root beer and really liked the flavor 

we sang at the headquarters of focus on the family in colorado springs. had a nice though distant view of pike's peak in the background to the entrance. beautiful part of the country. 

helped a buddy move back to california from michigan. drove on I-70 and i remember an incredible number of dead prairie dogs dotting the shoulder of the higheay through eastern colorado. 

4 hours ago, Tank said:

we sang at the headquarters of focus on the family in colorado springs. had a nice though distant view of pike's peak in the background to the entrance. beautiful part of the country. 

helped a buddy move back to california from michigan. drove on I-70 and i remember an incredible number of dead prairie dogs dotting the shoulder of the higheay through eastern colorado. 

There's a lot of Kansas in Eastern Colorado

On 7/27/2024 at 2:45 PM, Taylor said:

I went to Fort Collins a month or so ago while visiting my daughter in Cheyenne. I had no clue Old Elk’s tasting room was there. I got pretty excited about that. Nice looking town. 

IMG_9579.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I went to Fort Collins a month or so ago while visiting my daughter in Cheyenne. I had no clue Old Elk’s tasting room was there. I got pretty excited about that. Nice looking town. 

IMG_9579.jpeg

We’ll be staying in downtown Fort Collins for a night in October to see the Weezer concert.

2 minutes ago, Taylor said:

We’ll be staying in downtown Fort Collins for a night in October to see the Weezer concert.

My daughter will have to move off base next year sometime so she and some other airmen are looking at apartments out there. Apparently cost of living is better there than Cheyenne. 

My wife and I were married in the forest, on a trail near Squaw Pass (they don't call it Squaw Pass anymore, it's now Mestaa'Ėhehe Pass) in September 1980. I was in the Air Force at Lowry AFB for about 6 months, from April to September. That was a great summer. I had a 1978 Suzuki GS 750 that I rode everywhere all over those mountains.

1978-Suzuki-GS750.jpg?w=902&h=507&crop=1

On 7/28/2024 at 5:17 AM, Spirit said:

I'm 2 exits north of that new Buc-ee's. 

And yeah ... Greeley.  Not a city I would recommend on any in state visit.

Weldwerks is reason enough to visit. 

41 minutes ago, Spirit said:

I mean, you can throw a stick and hit 5 great breweries in this state. 

You can hit five breweries, sure, but they all wouldn't be great. 

Weldwerks is one of those that their beers are in demand for those out of state. 

40 minutes ago, James said:

You can hit five breweries, sure, but they all wouldn't be great. 

Weldwerks is one of those that their beers are in demand for those out of state. 

They're very good.  But there's enough other really good breweries (and local bars that serve Weldwerks) that, at least for me, I'm not going to make a special trip.

Estes Park is one of my favorites places to visit.  Been there several times.

I've seen several moose, big horned sheep, elk and other wildlife there.  It's truly a beautiful place. 

Besides all the great nature available - another cool place to visit in Estes Park is Seven Keys Lodge, formerly known as the Baldpate Inn.  Lots of history there.

10 hours ago, T.G. said:

Estes Park is one of my favorites places to visit.  Been there several times.

I've seen several moose, big horned sheep, elk and other wildlife there.  It's truly a beautiful place. 

Besides all the great nature available - another cool place to visit in Estes Park is Seven Keys Lodge, formerly known as the Baldpate Inn.  Lots of history there.

Massive fire started today going up the canyon to Estes.  I think it's over a thousand acres already.  I'm really hoping it doesn't head west up the mountain.

22 hours ago, Spirit said:

Massive fire started today going up the canyon to Estes.  I think it's over a thousand acres already.  I'm really hoping it doesn't head west up the mountain.

any updates?

11 hours ago, Tank said:

any updates?

It's now at at 5,080 acres burned with 0% containment.  Now a second fire has flared up to the south (closer to Boulder), so that will divert some resources.

A charity I work with to raise money for childhood Osteosarcoma support and research has our big fundraisers this weekend.  Dinner on Saturday and golf tournament on Sunday.  The location of both events is right on the edge of the voluntary evacuation line, so we hoping the fire doesn't move any further southeast.

Screenshot 2024-07-31 at 7.35.02 AM.png