• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Home Owners Insurance

So looks like the hammer is finally coming down on us from our carrier. They want me to get an inspection and submit the findings to even be considered for a renewal, which will probably be 4-6X the current price.

I told the broker I don't want to go spend a few hundred bucks if I am going to be denied anyway.

Assuming some of you have been dropped/secured new coverage. Any referrals?

AAA actually offers homeowners insurance and the process is pretty easy.

Who were you with?  Lots of companies are dropping homeowners insurance in California.

1 minute ago, gotbeer said:

@Adam  I'll be looking soon also.  My insurance, that we've had for a few decades, is completely leaving Calolfornia.  

Which company?

Just now, gotbeer said:

Tokio Marine.  

Again... AAA has an easy process.  You can do it all online.  Take photos of your property yourself, etc.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

So looks like the hammer is finally coming down on us from our carrier. They want me to get an inspection and submit the findings to even be considered for a renewal, which will probably be 4-6X the current price.

I told the broker I don't want to go spend a few hundred bucks if I am going to be denied anyway.

Are you in a high-risk area for wildfires or something?

1 hour ago, Adam said:

They usually send their own out that make up claims your home is a fire hazard because there is vegetation next to the structure and other bullshit claims. We've had those reports done three times in the last five years and each time we send photos that disprove the inspectors false claims. Are you switching insurance carriers? 

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

he is in a high risk for old people mistakenly parking in his driveway since he is next to Leisure World.

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

No but it's happening to everyone all over the country.

1 minute ago, Adam said:

No but it's happening to everyone all over the country.

Someone did tell me that insurance companies send out drones looking for trees overhanging houses and then they require you to remove the tree. However I haven't actually heard of anyone's premium going up 4-6x.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Someone did tell me that insurance companies send out drones looking for trees overhanging houses and then they require you to remove the tree. However I haven't actually heard of anyone's premium going up 4-6x.

It that were the case the entire state of North Carolina would be deforested. There are so many trees you can't see entire housing tracts, shopping malls, gas stations.  

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

I see 5-10 posts a week on FB from people it's happened to going back 6-7 months now

I was dropped from Mercury for having 2 leaks in 3 years. I now have some company called Scottsdale something or other. My broker found it. No one wants to insure townhomes anymore. 

Like Katie we have a town house.  Back in 2021 our insurer got out of CA so we ended up going with Mercury which got us a policy discount as they're our car insurance company.  Mercury didn't like our electric panel which had been installed for at least 10 years because they claimed some ridiculously low % could start a fire.  Had an electrician out I've used over the years and he was against changing it out because he saw no need but I explained my insurer was requiring it so for almost the cost of our annual insurance policy he swapped it out.  Last year for renewal Mercury wanted proof of fixes and upgrades over the years including things done before we moved in which was ridiculous and not something we could provide.  I told my broker it sounds like they don't really want to insure any more in CA and he agreed so he went to market.  Ended up with Safeco who didn't have any crazy requests and we didn't see a big price increase on our renewal.  If Mercury wasn't so good on the car insurance side with the accidents we've been in over the years I would have dropped them all together. 

Anyways my recommendation is to talk to your broker or if you don't have one a broker someone you know (preferably living in the same area) recommends. 

10 hours ago, Adam said:

Not sure where you live @Adam but I have been dropped 3 times in Big Bear.  I was dropped by the “big 3”, Allstate, Farmers, and State Farm over the last 5 years.  All happened with absolutely no warning and I’ve never filed a single claim in 12 years.  As a matter of fact, I had water flood my laundry room during the big winter in 2023, and didn’t even file a claim because I was afraid my new company would drop me.

i have a new company called SageSure, and they are out of Florida.  No one, I mean no one, will insure Big Bear and I’m afraid with what is happening in the state in regards to brush fires already this year, it may happen again.

I’d recommend using an insurance broker and they can hopefully find you a plan that fits for you.  And yes, it will be costly.  I pay $2,496 a year for insurance.

Edited by PattyD22

13 hours ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Like Katie we have a town house.  Back in 2021 our insurer got out of CA so we ended up going with Mercury which got us a policy discount as they're our car insurance company.  Mercury didn't like our electric panel which had been installed for at least 10 years because they claimed some ridiculously low % could start a fire.  Had an electrician out I've used over the years and he was against changing it out because he saw no need but I explained my insurer was requiring it so for almost the cost of our annual insurance policy he swapped it out.  Last year for renewal Mercury wanted proof of fixes and upgrades over the years including things done before we moved in which was ridiculous and not something we could provide.  I told my broker it sounds like they don't really want to insure any more in CA and he agreed so he went to market.  Ended up with Safeco who didn't have any crazy requests and we didn't see a big price increase on our renewal.  If Mercury wasn't so good on the car insurance side with the accidents we've been in over the years I would have dropped them all together. 

Anyways my recommendation is to talk to your broker or if you don't have one a broker someone you know (preferably living in the same area) recommends. 

I have had Mercury for car insurance my whole driving life, so they keep sending me flyers to use them for homeowners insurance too. I’m like, uhhh, you dropped me you jerks