• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Logan O'Hoppe is a stud

8 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

^Yup. I think there's good reason to be excited about O'Hoppe - we really haven't ever had a young catcher his talent. I think he's got room to improve on both sides of the plate, also, and has a chance to put together a season or two challenging Downing's 1979 - and maybe more well-rounded.

I only remember Downing as a DH/OF, but from what I gather he wasn't very good behind the plate.

He wasn't a poor catcher but after the 1980 injury it forced them to move him to the outfield. They needed his bat and catcher was killing him. Unfortunately Tom Donahue and Ed Ott were kinda crappy and they didn't get a real catcher until 1982 when Bob Boone took over. 

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yeah, I agree IP - with the caveat that even in hindsight, I see his value as that of being a consistent solid regular who was pretty good defensively and not a total loss offensively. But the point being, his main point of value was that he was consistently there. He didn't wow you, but at least you could rely on solid performance. Sort of like the Disarcina of catchers.

Disar was an actual black hole offensively and he absolutely hurt the Angels on a yearly basis.  He was legitimately a very good defender but consider this, the guy he replaced (Dick Schofield) almost doubled his fWAR in just over 900 more PAs, but if you ask most Angels fans they would tell you that Disar was an upgrade -- he wasn't, not even close.

Where pretty much everything Disar did WAS measurable to a degree by fWAR, a lot Molina's game that was much more subjective and yet anyone that watched him knew it was real -- the game-calling being most prominent.  I think one of the biggest reasons Disar's awfulness wasn't made more obvious is the fact that he exited the game at the time teams started moving away from the traditional measures towards finding value.  He is IMO possibly the most overrated Angel of all time.  I've seen people call Disar the Erstad of Angels SS's and it blows my mind.   The fact that BBP used to have an award given out to the player eligible for the batting title who went the deepest into the season before getting his first walk will never cease to make me LOL.

All that being said Disar was legitimately loved by his teammates.  So, as much as I can't stand the public's view of him as a player, there wasn't anyone he played with on those Angels teams who wouldn't have charged the mound in defense of him.

1 hour ago, T.G. said:

You just poked the 800lb gorilla... @Inside Pitch

LOL.  I think the only person who's more aware of my disdain for Disar than you may be Tank.  You've both seen me go off about him way too often.

@Tank might remember my rant when I reported he had broken his arm during BP.   I was so bent.  The most annoying part was that people tried to say I was making it up because it wasn't reported for a few days after it happened.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

LOL.  I think the only person who's more aware of my disdain for Disar than you may be Tank.  You've both seen me go off about him way too often.

@Tank might remember my rant when I reported he had broken his arm during BP.   I was so bent.  The most annoying part was that people tried to say I was making it up because it wasn't reported for a few days after it happened.

what i remember most was how he and a few other guys who were wound really tight got upset with edmonds for not being as upset as they were about losing in the last few weeks of the 95 or 98 season. there was some kind of confrontation in the dugout (?) or lockerroom as i recall. it's been a while but that's what has stuck with me. 

22 minutes ago, Tank said:

what i remember most was how he and a few other guys who were wound really tight got upset with edmonds for not being as upset as they were about losing in the last few weeks of the 95 or 98 season. there was some kind of confrontation in the dugout (?) or lockerroom as i recall. it's been a while but that's what has stuck with me. 

That's when my casual "dislike" of Disar turned into full blown hate.  Disar along with Hollins played the role of clubhouse rat for Terry Collins and became an arbiter of what was and wasn't allowed.  He was the guy that made a big stink about Edmonds smiling after a loss and not walking around bitching and moaning.  

The shit blew up in 99, but it had been brewing from the moment Chili Davis went to KC.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Disar was an actual black hole offensively and he absolutely hurt the Angels on a yearly basis.  He was legitimately a very good defender but consider this, the guy he replaced (Dick Schofield) almost doubled his fWAR in just over 900 more PAs, but if you ask most Angels fans they would tell you that Disar was an upgrade -- he wasn't, not even close.

Where pretty much everything Disar did WAS measurable to a degree by fWAR, a lot Molina's game that was much more subjective and yet anyone that watched him knew it was real -- the game-calling being most prominent.  I think one of the biggest reasons Disar's awfulness wasn't made more obvious is the fact that he exited the game at the time teams started moving away from the traditional measures towards finding value.  He is IMO possibly the most overrated Angel of all time.  I've seen people call Disar the Erstad of Angels SS's and it blows my mind.   The fact that BBP used to have an award given out to the player eligible for the batting title who went the deepest into the season before getting his first walk will never cease to make me LOL.

All that being said Disar was legitimately loved by his teammates.  So, as much as I can't stand the public's view of him as a player, there wasn't anyone he played with on those Angels teams who wouldn't have charged the mound in defense of him.

He was shitty

20 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

So basically you're saying that DiSarcina was the shortstop version of Jeff Mathis. But yeah. He had that one year where he hit, which just happened to be 1995 (The Unmentionable Season). 

Most overrated Angel sounds like a fun thread/poll. Garret Anderson, anyone?

• Chuck changed the title to Logan O'Hoppe is a stud