• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official 2024 Angels Draft Tracker: Bonuses, Non-drafted Free Agent Signings, etc.

24 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

18/20 some high upside guys, a draft eligible sophomore and a handful of HS guys.... Best of all, very little talk of pitchability.

Looking forward to seeing where they all are in three years.

Throw in Lugo, Algedheri and Klassen and it was a good July for the system still.

Also - we’ll have a top draft pick next year and if Perry is still around, it’ll probably be a guy (actually probably a couple guys) who can get to the bigs quickly. 

And I honestly think 1) every deadline will be a seller’s market with the new expanded playoffs and 2) everyone we could have traded this July could have comparable trade value next July.

54 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Difference there being that the Rays and Brewers get compensation picks one slot later, while the Angels get one at the very end of the 3rd round.

35 minutes ago, BTH said:

Difference there being that the Rays and Brewers get compensation picks one slot later, while the Angels get one at the very end of the 3rd round.

However the similarity is everyone was incredibly critical of the Angels for drafting a guy they didn’t sign, you read the “only the Angels” “congrats on being in the 1%”, so the same criticism goes to those teams as well. Or we recognize that NIL money changed things now. 

43 minutes ago, BTH said:

Maybe it’ll be a deeper draft class next year, but I bet there’s basically no difference between where the Angels picked for Prager vs. where they’ll pick for their comp. We didn’t lose anything, just had it delayed by a year.

41 minutes ago, Stradling said:

However the similarity is everyone was incredibly critical of the Angels for drafting a guy they didn’t sign, you read the “only the Angels” “congrats on being in the 1%”, so the same criticism goes to those teams as well. Or we recognize that NIL money changed things now. 

Those people saying it was only the Angels are ignorant to what happens in MLB.

But when the overwhelming majority of players do sign with teams, I think criticism is deserved.

The NIL stuff definitely affects things. Much like the TDL stuff, we’re just not gonna know all the details.

I updated the first post.  I never did see what Najer Victor signed for.  My remaining bonus allotment is a bit different from what I've seen elsewhere, but the important notes are a) the leftover is minimal, and b) they're still just under the threshold that would lead to losing draft picks.

All in all, a pretty successful draft, despite Prager not signing, I'd say.

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

I updated the first post.  I never did see what Najer Victor signed for.  My remaining bonus allotment is a bit different from what I've seen elsewhere, but the important notes are a) the leftover is minimal, and b) they're still just under the threshold that would lead to losing draft picks.

All in all, a pretty successful draft, despite Prager not signing, I'd say.

Thanks for doing all of this. Was really informative, and the spread sheet was really well done.

4 minutes ago, Angels in 2030 said:

Ummmm what? The Prager pick was not a comp pick -- it was their 3rd round pick (8th pick of the 3rd round).

Talking next year. Do you think the caliber of player they select next year with their comp pick for not signing Prager will really be that different caliber player from where they picked Prager this year?

I can’t imagine there’s huge variance between 8th pick 3rd round and comp pick following 3rd round.

We aren’t losing the pick. We just get it again next year right after the 3rd round. I don’t think it’ll be that different and if it’s a deeper draft class, especially so. We’re just delaying having that player a year.

Edited by totdprods

5 hours ago, totdprods said:

Talking next year. Do you think the caliber of player they select next year with their comp pick for not signing Prager will really be that different caliber player from where they picked Prager this year?

I can’t imagine there’s huge variance between 8th pick 3rd round and comp pick following 3rd round.

We aren’t losing the pick. We just get it again next year right after the 3rd round. I don’t think it’ll be that different and if it’s a deeper draft class, especially so. We’re just delaying having that player a year.

Ok - you are talking about the caliber of the player. Not actual draft pick number.  Because it’ll be 25 or picks later.  But understood now. 

btw, there’s probably a very good chance this pick is used on an easy, cheap sign and saving cap signage for another spot. 

20 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

My remaining bonus allotment is a bit different from what I've seen elsewhere,

The difference is probably that you have to re-calculate the 5% overage amount. Since Prager didn’t sign, you have to subtract his slot value before calculating the 5% overage.

28 minutes ago, BTH said:

The difference is probably that you have to re-calculate the 5% overage amount. Since Prager didn’t sign, you have to subtract his slot value before calculating the 5% overage.

Ah, yeah, that would do it. 

But, yeah, the overall point is they spent pretty much everything they could, and signed almost everyone. Good draft all around. 

25 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Ah, yeah, that would do it. 

But, yeah, the overall point is they spent pretty much everything they could, and signed almost everyone. Good draft all around. 

Yep.

I’m not thrilled they missed out on signing Prager and am concerned about the process that led to that happening, but a solid class overall.

Good work on keeping track of everything. It was good to have someone to “check” my numbers with.

This was probably as complicated as it could get, with them not signing a player and going over-slot on multiple picks past the 10th round.

We currently have the third best odds of getting the number one pick this year behind Colorado and Miami.  We have two less wins than Toronto and Washington so it’s possible we finish with a better record than those teams, which will decrease those odds further. Both Oakland and The White Sox appear to be ineligible to draft in the top 9 because they were in the draft lottery last year.