• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official 2024 Angels Draft Tracker: Bonuses, Non-drafted Free Agent Signings, etc.

Draft class might be deeper next year, so even moving back to end of 3rd for our comp pick might even out.

I’d be a lot more bummed if his ceiling was way higher and he had slipped due to injury or signability or age. We definitely need pitching depth, especially upper-level left-handed starters, but still not sure his ceiling was going to be high enough for me to be too hung up on this. 

Edited by totdprods

Still kinda funny to me that Najer Victor hasn't signed yet.  I know nothing about him, but just seems like a case of someone you'd only pick if you have a sense that you'd sign him.  And from his perspective, unless he just doesn't want to play professional ball for some reason, I don't know what the holdup is.  He's definitely not getting over $150K.

5 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Still kinda funny to me that Najer Victor hasn't signed yet.  I know nothing about him, but just seems like a case of someone you'd only pick if you have a sense that you'd sign him.  And from his perspective, unless he just doesn't want to play professional ball for some reason, I don't know what the holdup is.  He's definitely not getting over $150K.

At this point, i am guessing him and Mershan aren't signing. Now that i said that, there will probably be an announcement within the hour that they both signed.

1 minute ago, greginpsca said:

At this point, i am guessing him and Mershan aren't signing. Now that i said that, there will probably be an announcement within the hour that they both signed.

Unless I'm missing something, Victor doesn't have any eligibility left and he turns 23 in November, anyway.  So if he doesn't sign, I think it's because he just doesn't want to play professionally.  But, again, wouldn't the Angels have had that conversation with him before picking him?

12 minutes ago, Second Base said:

So a crappy draft just got worse for the Angels and it appears they’ll have spent quite a bit less this draft than many other teams. 

That’s one of the most Angels things I’ve ever heard.

"Quite a bit less."  What are you talking about?  They're $300K below the overage limit before the heavy penalties kick in--and, in theory, they can still give that to Mershon.  But they're already into the penalty phase (75% tax on the overage).  Do you really want them to go into the next category and lose a pick?

5 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

"Quite a bit less."  What are you talking about?  They're $300K below the overage limit before the heavy penalties kick in--and, in theory, they can still give that to Mershon.  But they're already into the penalty phase (75% tax on the overage).  Do you really want them to go into the next category and lose a pick?

He doesn’t care for Perry so he’s overly critical of him. 

17 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

That’s my fault, I misunderstood the numbers.

17 hours ago, Stradling said:

He doesn’t care for Perry so he’s overly critical of him. 

I don’t have strong feelings in any direction for Minasian. I think he’s more of a scouting director than actual GM given his skill set and performance to date, but from what I understand, many on this board believe he’s failed to make the necessary moves because of constraints that Arte has put on him. So if that’s true it’s hard to actually get a read on him.

I can wring my hands all I want for a Preller or Anthopolus, but if Arte’s not allowing it, having a different GM wouldn’t matter. But I don’t know if that’s true or not.

54 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I don’t have strong feelings in any direction for Minasian. I think he’s more of a scouting director than actual GM given his skill set and performance to date, but from what I understand, many on this board believe he’s failed to make the necessary moves because of constraints that Arte has put on him. So if that’s true it’s hard to actually get a read on him.

I can wring my hands all I want for a Preller or Anthopolus, but if Arte’s not allowing it, having a different GM wouldn’t matter. But I don’t know if that’s true or not.

Your posts about him say you do have strong feelings about Minasian 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Your posts about him say you do have strong feelings about Minasian 

I think that is more common than not on this board. Every GM is under intense scrutiny over their term and few get a honeymoon period. 

Just now, Blarg said:

I think that is more common than not on this board. Every GM is under intense scrutiny over their term and few get a honeymoon period. 

But it’s a change in his posting. He’s much more critical of Perry than any other GM we’ve had and Scotty is one of the guys who posts a ton about scouting and such things. 

4 minutes ago, Angels in 2030 said:

So bizarre someone would question the criticism of the Angels FO/GM.  Truly bizarro world. You would have to be in a long-term coma (or a bot) to do so.  Maybe transported here from 20 years ago.  So so weird.  I guess true homerism is not dead.

I get that you don’t understand my point. This conversation was for grown ups. 

22 minutes ago, Stradling said:

But it’s a change in his posting. He’s much more critical of Perry than any other GM we’ve had and Scotty is one of the guys who posts a ton about scouting and such things. 

Maybe in the moment. Yeah, I can see that being true. Overall, meh. For the large part, his major league moves, or lack there of have been bad for the organization. But I think Minasian would make an incredible scouting director, which is at least part of the GM’s duties. It’s not easy comparing small school players to their SEC counterparts. But I think Neto, Schanuel and to a smaller degree Bachman are a testament to his abilities as a scout. 

But I think assessing him as a GM is skewed by just how much we think he’s being confined by Arte. Off it’s not at all, then Perry should be fired immediately. But if Arte is meddling as many say he has and continues to, then I don’t think you can blame Perry at all. 

I just don’t know the answer to that. Perhaps you do.

12 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

Have you looked at mlb draft tracker? They show TGA signing for $1.96m. 

Yeah, that was reported a while back.  I've already updated his signing in the first post of this thread and in the individual thread devoted to him.