• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official 2024 Angels Draft Tracker: Bonuses, Non-drafted Free Agent Signings, etc.

6 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I kinda doubt the draft-eligible sophomores go for over-slot.

Gervase, probably not. But I think Mershon might. Even McIlvaine’s comments in the article here made it sound like it’d be somewhat a challenge to sign Mershon.

Edited by BTH

30 minutes ago, BTH said:

Gervase, probably not. But I think Mershon might. Even McIlvaine’s comments in the article here made it sound like it’d be somewhat a challenge to sign Mershon.

My guess is they figured out they could potentially throw a couple mil at Gatwood (or another clearcut college commit) decided to draft him and try their luck, and knowing it was a long-shot, maybe took Mershon as a fallback over-slot guy to sign with that money if Gatwood didn’t sign.

I would be really surprised if we have enough bonus left to even offer Gatewood. I expected Moore to get around $5.5 million, so his $5 million signing was a bit of a surprise. Similarly, I was surprised that Cortez, a second-round pick, got close to $1.6 million when I anticipated $900k to $1 million. If he had signed for $1 million, I think we would have had some left over to offer Gatewood.

I think Both Prager will go over slot, I think Johnson will be 1.5 m and Prager at 1.2 mil. 

27 minutes ago, Second Base said:

How is that legal?

I have no idea about the rules, but this is what he wrote.

He framed it as a hypothetical, but the details don't make it seem like a hypothetical since Prager went to Texas A&M and was drafted by the Angels in the third round.

Colleges have offered some players a lot of money to transfer or stay at their school (the highest rumored amount is in the mid-six figures), but even if, say, Texas A&M is offering you $500,000 or so to stick around, if the Angels draft you in the third round, your bonus is going to be much bigger than that.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2024-mlb-draft-day-two-and-three-roundup/

When the hell did colleges start paying athletes to play for them? I know it's happened and happens but I was under the impression that was not legal.

They'll be able to make money soon due to a court case but it's not law yet and won't be for awhile.

I'm not talking about tuition, either. 

3 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

When the hell did colleges start paying athletes to play for them? I know it's happened and happens but I was under the impression that was not legal.

They'll be able to make money soon due to a court case but it's not law yet and won't be for awhile.

I comes from the Name, Likeness and Image (NIL) payments that the NCAA now allows.  Still, $500K is a lot of money for a baseball player.

1 hour ago, oater said:

I comes from the Name, Likeness and Image (NIL) payments that the NCAA now allows.  Still, $500K is a lot of money for a baseball player.

But how can they offer him money using those payments? 

1 hour ago, arch stanton said:

Maybe they didn't just offer him cash but more guaranteed the opportunity to  make that cash through NIL in the Aggies jersey?

Could be. Didn't think of that.

10 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I think you’ve missed out on what is happening in college sports. All the school have NIL collectives and work with coaches to help in recruiting. They fund athletes based on their perceived value to the school. The $500K is not unusual, especially for a school like TAM who have a big pot of NIL money.

This is all completely legal and within NCAA rules (of which there are far less right now). Players can also transfer every year to another school if they wish. 

Basically, they are professionals. 

20 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

NIL has been in existence for a few years.  This year the NCAA is allowing p4 conferences to directly pay athletes as employees.

The big money, like 500k+ goes toward football and basketball players because they generate a lot of revenue 

15 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

NIL is not supposed to be nehotiated by the schools.  However, if a booster wants to pay for NIL they can offer as much as they want.  There is no limit.

17 hours ago, arch stanton said:

Maybe they didn't just offer him cash but more guaranteed the opportunity to  make that cash through NIL in the Aggies jersey?

Does college baseball jerseys sell that much?  Its not like they have tv contracts or play in front of 20k people every night.

32 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Does college baseball jerseys sell that much?  Its not like they have tv contracts or play in front of 20k people every night.

I was talking more about doing endorsements in the Aggies uni

9 hours ago, arch stanton said:

I was talking more about doing endorsements in the Aggies uni

Then my question, is how much revenue dies an inciming freshman college pitcher generate advertisement revenue?

College baseball does not make a lot of money.  Thus the NIL dollars are not as prevalent.  500k is what an all conference Big10 basketball player would make.

I do not know personally the dollar figure fir NIL in minor sports are.  I am just questioning if the minor sports would pay that much in NIL