• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels select P Ryan Prager (Texas A&M) in the 3rd round-WILL NOT SIGN

Damn, this is really disappointing. He was my favorite pick in the draft. I think giving Cortez $1.6 million messed up the whole bonus allocation. I was really surprised he got that much, especially considering his draft ranking. I thought he would have signed for 1 mil  at most.

Seem like he's asking for closer to 2mil... But he'll also be 22 next year, will be interesting to see how that works for him. 

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Nope.  Only applies to guys picked in the first two rounds.

I’m pretty sure the Angels get a comp pick, but it’s after the 3rd round.

If it was in the 1st or 2nd round, the comp pick would be one pick later.

14 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:
I think giving Cortez $1.6 million messed up the whole bonus allocation. I was really surprised he got that much, especially considering his draft ranking. I thought he would have signed for slot value at most.

What are you talking about?  Cortez signed for $475k below slot.

6 minutes ago, Ochocinco! said:

Bump also curious about this 

They can’t spend the accompanying slot value with Prager’s pick (roughly $900k) if they don’t sign him.

So they have roughly $300k in savings, plus the $150k that doesn’t count against the slot, to try and sign anyone else overslot who is unsigned in rounds 11-20.

Gatwood ain’t gonna sign for $400k

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Just playing devils advocate but wasn’t this considered a weak draft and next year is supposed to be a better draft?

I honestly don’t know what the state of next year’s draft is, but yes this was considered a weak draft.

So that likely is a benefit.

Not sure it outweighs dropping ~22 slots though.

Edited by BTH

2 minutes ago, BTH said:

I honestly don’t know what the state of next year’s draft is, but yes this was considered a weak draft.

So that is a benefit.

Not sure it outweighs dropping ~22 slots though.

Gives them a double 3rd slot value for next year. If it’s even remotely solid draft then having 1st, 2nd (assuming no FA signing) and 2x 3rds is legit, or it gives them a slight compensation for losing a 2nd if they do indeed sign a FA.

I know a lot of you guys are losing your shit but Prager was the guy with the least upside, the pitch-ability pick.   He's the sort of high floor low ceiling guy we saw plenty of during the Dipoto era.  If you need someone to compare him to, think Chris Ellis, with less stuff.

It would have been nice to have signed the "safe" pick but given the state of the team I'm happy they signed upside guys.

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I know a lot of you guys are losing your shit but Prager was the guy with the least upside, the pitch-ability pick.   He's the sort of high floor low ceiling guy we saw plenty of during the Dipoto era.  If you need someone to compare him to, think Chris Ellis, with less stuff.

It would have been nice to have signed the "safe" pick but given the state of the team I'm happy they signed upside guys.

I’ll step off the ledge…….

for now.