• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels select P Ryan Prager (Texas A&M) in the 3rd round-WILL NOT SIGN

13 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I know a lot of you guys are losing your shit but Prager was the guy with the least upside, the pitch-ability pick.   He's the sort of high floor low ceiling guy we saw plenty of during the Dipoto era.  If you need someone to compare him to, think Chris Ellis, with less stuff.

It would have been nice to have signed the "safe" pick but given the state of the team I'm happy they signed upside guys.

No I wanna be mad

Sad Baby GIF

Eh the guy coulda been Michael Roth or Nick Maronde as much as he coulda been Joe Saunders. A bummer but I don’t think we’re losing someone with massive ceiling, though it would’ve been nice to have a relatively safe college lefty to add in to the SP mix sometime in ‘25. 

Edited by totdprods

2 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:
…Seem like he's asking for closer to 2mil... But he'll also be 22 next year, will be interesting to see how that works for him. 

Unless he is lights out next year, I doubt it works out well. He loses any leverage as a Senior. 

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Eh the guy coulda been Michael Roth or Nick Maronde as much as he coulda been Joe Saunders. A bummer but I don’t think we’re losing someone with massive ceiling, though it would’ve been nice to have a relatively safe college lefty to add in to the SP mix sometime in ‘25. 

Yeah, I actually don't care one way or the other about him specifically.  I just find it odd on both sides: 1) the Angels had to have had (or, at least, they SHOULD have had) some idea of what it would take to sign him, and 2) unless as Inside Pitch said in another thread, he's just really into the Texas A&M experience, it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense for him to go back, even if he's not getting 100% of what he wanted.

49 minutes ago, totdprods said:

That’s my one frustration with not signing him.

This rotation desperately needs any sort of upgrade a year or so from now.

On the bright side, they do get a between 3rd and 4th rounds comp pick in 2025.

25 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I really don't understand the "It's fine the guy sucks anyway" posts about the third round pick. If he wasn't all that then it was an even stupider pick in the first place. How many picks is Perry intentionally throwing away??

Nobody has said anything remotely close to that.  He's a classic high floor guy, I'd argue he stands a better than average chance at making it to MLB, but if they had to fail to sign any of the top 5 picks he'd have been my first choice.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Probably too early to say but it’s extremely rare for a college guy to go back for his SR season.  He's getting paid by someone next year to play college ball.

I imagine being a college athlete is way more fun than being a minor leaguer in the Angels org.

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

I imagine being a college athlete is way more fun than being a minor leaguer in the Angels org.

Why do you hate Taco Bell?

They actually do have National Championship aspirations too. It really may just be he wants to chase that, which is kind of cool.

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

Ive seen him listed as both a red shirt sophomore and as a Jr.  No idea.

Someone on Twitter was saying he’s a red shirt sophomore. I guess he had TJ surgery and missed a year. 

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

He’s going to be a junior. 

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Ive seen him listed as both a red shirt sophomore and as a Jr.  No idea.

He is a redshirt sophomore, since he missed all of '23 recovering from TJ surgery.  Functionally speaking, though, he's kind of more like a junior, given his age.  He's not gonna go back for 2 more years.

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

He is a redshirt sophomore, since he missed all of '23 recovering from TJ surgery.  Functionally speaking, though, he's kind of more like a junior, given his age.  He's not gonna go back for 2 more years.

It honestly is a lot less weird if he's a red-shirt sophomore.  At least he isn't facing the possibility someone offers him $1.00.

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

It honestly is a lot less weird if he's a red-shirt sophomore.  At least he isn't facing the possibility someone offers him $1.00.

For all practical purposes, though, he kinda is.  He'd be a dummy to go back for the '26 season.  He'll turn 24 in October of '26.

28 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Probably too early to say but it’s extremely rare for a college guy to go back for his SR season.  He's getting paid by someone next year to play college ball.

Rumors on the Tennessee website (where I also spend too much time) that he got a sweet NIL deal. But I can’t imagine it would be close to what the Angels offered. Maybe he thinks a sweet NIL deal this coming year plus a good signing bonus next year…Also speculation that something showed up in his medicals. I don’t doubt the NIL rumor but I still think it’s a stupid decision. He’s also 22. Just not smart.