• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels select P Ryan Prager (Texas A&M) in the 3rd round-WILL NOT SIGN

• jsnpritchett changed the title to Angels select P Ryan Prager (Texas A&M) in the 3rd round (81st overall)

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/ryan-prager-696492

"Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Slider: 55 | Changeup: 60 | Control: 60 | Overall: 50

Prager was one of the more projectable left-handers in the 2021 Texas high school crop, but he was also the valedictorian of his high school class and set on attending Texas A&M, so he went undrafted. He cracked the Aggies' weekend rotation as a freshman but blew out his elbow, had Tommy John surgery in October 2022 and redshirted last year. He emerged as the ace of the College World Series runners-up this spring and should factor into the second or third round.

While Prager hasn't added any velocity since high school, working at 90 mph and peaking at 93 with his fastball, it has been unhittable because it comes out of a high release height with a ton of carry and he commands it so well. His low-80s slider plays well off his up-in-the-zone heater, darting under bats with two-plane depth. His low-80s changeup has similar action and elicits more empty swings and chases than his other offerings.

Prager doesn't light up radar guns but he keeps hitters off balance as well as any pitcher in the college ranks. His near-over-the-top delivery provides plenty of deception, and his ability to mix and command all three of his pitches also helps them play up. He's a high-floor mid-rotation starter and some scouts think he has more upside and velocity left in his tank."

This is a fantastic pick! I'm always excited about lefties with a good changeup and deception. His plus command and changeup make him a strong choice,  and offers both reliability and potential. Scouts believe there's still room for growth and increased velocity, making this a safe and promising selection.

I think that Saunders comp is pretty good with him. 

4/5 floor, with a ceiling of #3. I'll take it. 

1 minute ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

This is a fantastic pick! I'm always excited about lefties with a good changeup and deception. His plus command and changeup make him a strong choice,  and offers both reliability and potential. Scouts believe there's still room for growth and increased velocity, making this a safe and promising selection.

I think that Saunders comp is pretty good with him. 

4/5 floor, with a ceiling of #3. I'll take it. 

You consistently overrate floors and ceilings.  His "floor" is currently "dude who never makes it to the majors."  Let's all just chill a bit.

8 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

You consistently overrate floors and ceilings.  His "floor" is currently "dude who never makes it to the majors."  Let's all just chill a bit.

I appreciate your perspective, but I think we're just looking at it differently. While it's true that every prospect carries some risk, but there are always those players that have a save floor they can reach, Prager's talent and potential are evident. Sure, there's always a chance a player might not make it to the majors, but with his solid change and command, he has the tools to succeed. 

On the contrary, Johnson is a perfect example of a high-risk, high-reward pick. While it's true that there's no safe floor with him, his potential upside makes him a gamble worth taking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • jsnpritchett changed the title to Angels select P Ryan Prager (Texas A&M) in the 3rd round-WILL NOT SIGN
Just now, Angel Oracle said:

Sooo, he is passing up at least a million to go back for $500k NIL with risk of injury?

You sure you want to do that?

Only the Halos fail to sign a 3rd round pick.

I hope Dylan Jordan is worth it!

Why would you put it all on him?  Why don’t you say that about Ryan Johnson?