• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Bidding War for Tyler Anderson

3 hours ago, TheLordofOuts said:

With 1 year on his contract, I hate to see him go. But, with him having a career year, this is an opportunity to sell high.  He was on every contenders' list before his gem today. I'm certain there has to be even more interest. 

Perry must not fuck this up.

I bet he will fuck it up

I’m just not entirely convinced the bidding for Anderson will be that aggressive. The stuff doesn’t match the success, nor do some of the metrics. He’s had this sort of success before, but I picture the big market teams remaining skeptical. That should drive down the bidding. Less than a top 100 prospect. 

Like if it’s the Brewers, I figure a Josh Knoth or Eric Bitonti would win the bidding. Or if it’s the Orioles, a Trayce Bright or Jud Fabian. 

Personally, I think Bitonti is awesome and would be a steal for the Angels. He had a lot of helium heading into the draft last year.

But, Angels fans should not get their hopes up. This organization has a long enough track record of either screwing it up, or the player getting hurt. 

6 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I’m just not entirely convinced the bidding for Anderson will be that aggressive. The stuff doesn’t match the success, nor do some of the metrics. He’s had this sort of success before, but I picture the big market teams remaining skeptical. That should drive down the bidding. Less than a top 100 prospect. 

Like if it’s the Brewers, I figure a Josh Knoth or Eric Bitonti would win the bidding. Or if it’s the Orioles, a Trayce Bright or Jud Fabian. 

Personally, I think Bitonti is awesome and would be a steal for the Angels. He had a lot of helium heading into the draft last year.

But, Angels fans should not get their hopes up. This organization has a long enough track record of either screwing it up, or the player getting hurt. 

I’m not so sure. Anderson has put up an outstanding half season this year, not just good, after an outstanding full season in 22. No matter what the “peripherals” say, he has been nails…granted his success has been sandwiched around a bad year last year but it’s hard to ignore the results in 22 and this year. I’m not so sure we won’t get a Top 100 prospect for him. His contract is a plus, assuming he keeps it up, you get him next year. 

This will always be the closest comp to a Tyler Anderson trade.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/07/phillies-nearing-deal-to-acquire-kyle-gibson-ian-kennedy.html

Kyle Gibson’s career, his contract at the time, his performance the year before and the year he was dealt all match up really similarly to Tyler Anderson.

The Rangers had to kick in a a few million, a solid vet reliever (Ian Kennedy) and a just-removed former top 100 pitching prospect (our own Hans Crouse, ironically) along with Gibson to get a consensus top 30 pitching prospect in Spencer Howard (who has since bounced around and mustered a 7.00 ERA in 140 MLB innings) and two relievers (Gowdy and Gessner) who have yet to reach the majors. 

In short, the Rangers had to add a good prospect, cash, and a vet reliever to get an on-paper amazing prospect back, and they still basically didn’t get anything out of it. 

Even if the Angels threw in Moore or Garcia and paid a portion of the contract, getting a legit top prospect seems to be a bit of a reach. I’ll maintain that getting redundant/change of scenery/broken pieces back seems to be the likeliest return; names like Gavin Lux, Aaron Ashby, Garrett Mitchell, Eguy Rosario, Juan Brito…these seem like the more realistic group we can see for a good return, IMO. Sort of like when we got Moniak, but maybe with a little higher floor.

I'm surprised so many think Perry will trade him. This is an organization that very clearly was going to lay low in 2024, but refused to admit it publicly. Trading Anderson is a signal that they know *2025* is going to be a down year as well. And I don't think the Front Office or Arte is ready to embrace that. Fletcher has his ear to the ground and he has been saying definitely the expiring guys because what else would you do with them -- but Ward, Anderson, and Rengifo don't seem as sure of a thing. 

Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely no reason to keep Anderson. None. He's older, done after 2025, and isn't a part of the future. But trading him is a clear signal that the team is not going to push to compete in 2025. And while we all can plainly see that, I would not bet money on Arte, Carpino, and Perry making a move that acknowledges that reality. More likely they justify it by saying they need good pitching in 2025, need a mentor for the young guys, etc. I'm very worried that we come through July with all 3 of those guys still on the team. 

1 minute ago, ThisismineScios said:

I'm surprised so many think Perry will trade him. This is an organization that very clearly was going to lay low in 2024, but refused to admit it publicly. Trading Anderson is a signal that they know *2025* is going to be a down year as well. And I don't think the Front Office or Arte is ready to embrace that.

13 months ago, they tried to give the guy away for free and no one bit.

That, plus his $13M salary, makes me think he does get dealt.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/07/phillies-nearing-deal-to-acquire-kyle-gibson-ian-kennedy.html

Kyle Gibson’s career, his contract at the time, his performance the year before and the year he was dealt all match up really similarly to Tyler Anderson.

The Rangers had to kick in a a few million, a solid vet reliever (Ian Kennedy) and a just-removed former top 100 pitching prospect (our own Hans Crouse, ironically) along with Gibson to get a consensus top 30 pitching prospect in Spencer Howard (who has since bounced around and mustered a 7.00 ERA in 140 MLB innings) and two relievers (Gowdy and Gessner) who have yet to reach the majors. 

In short, the Rangers had to add a good prospect, cash, and a vet reliever to get an on-paper amazing prospect back, and they still basically didn’t get anything out of it. 

Even if the Angels threw in Moore or Garcia and paid a portion of the contract, getting a legit top prospect seems to be a bit of a reach. I’ll maintain that getting redundant/change of scenery/broken pieces back seems to be the likeliest return; names like Gavin Lux, Aaron Ashby, Garrett Mitchell, Eguy Rosario, Juan Brito…these seem like the more realistic group we can see for a good return, IMO. Sort of like when we got Moniak, but maybe with a little higher floor.

If this is truly the type of trade they would get then why bother? Could be better to hold on to Anderson and his favorable contract. They could build around him, they will need 1 or 2 SP's even if they have Anderson, and still trade him next year when/if they suck again.

We're coming off a season in which a 90 win team beat a 84 win team in the WS. Maybe that will make more teams feel like they have a shot and that this year's Jordan Montgomery can help them get there or just give them enough starter depth to stave off the late season pitching injuries that can kill your chances. Could be enough to get them to offer someone with Anderson-level potential back as a return

8 hours ago, totdprods said:

Gibson had an expiring contract when traded. So, not the right comp.

7 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely no reason to keep Anderson. None. He's older, done after 2025, and isn't a part of the future.

The Angels lost Sandoval to injury. You trade away Anderson and that's 66 games you have to fill in 2025 with two new pitchers. That's about the only reason to keep any cost controlled pitching for the next season. But it's a solid reason, you can't pick up Anderson's production for $13 million in free agency. 

Now, if 2025 is still part of a rebuild, which it certainly should be, then gab the best prospect load you can for him but understand that makes the Angels more of a last ditch choice for a free agent pitcher, knowing the team is still in transition.  

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

Gibson had an expiring contract when traded. So, not the right comp.

No, he was in the second year of a three-year deal.

Gibson is playing out the season on a $10MM salary (about $3.5MM of which remains to be paid out). He’s controllable affordably for 2022 at $7MM as part of a backloaded arrangement.”

4 hours ago, Blarg said:

The Angels lost Sandoval to injury. You trade away Anderson and that's 66 games you have to fill in 2025 with two new pitchers.

Yup - that’s part of why I wanted to move Sandoval before he wound up hurt. In my mind, you move Sandoval for a young, MLB-ready hitter. That makes it easier to deal Rengifo or Ward for a young MLB-ready pitcher to replace Anderson or Sandoval, with the other’s spot going to guys like Daniel, Rosenberg, Wantz, Kochanowicz, Dana, Silseth, Bachman, etc. as the year continued on.

But losing Sandoval makes it a lot more difficult to pull off that sequence of trades, and it is a strain to replace 66 starts from within from that group of makes mentioned above. A lot aren’t ready, a lot are injured. And it’s more difficult to consider dealing Canning now, even if he has limited value. Angels gotta hold on to some depth still. 

Sandoval wasn't worth a MLB ready hitter. His performance last year sunk his value and his start this year confirmed he was not improving, he was regressing. 

46 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Sandoval wasn't worth a MLB ready hitter. His performance last year sunk his value and his start this year confirmed he was not improving, he was regressing. 

Disagree. Sandoval is comparable to Aaron Civale (plus Sandoval has an extra year of control) and Civale landed this return last year:

In exchange for those two and a half seasons of affordable control, the Rays will  part with one of the top bats in their system. Manzardo, 23, was Tampa Bay’s second-round pick in 2021 and quickly hit his way onto top-100 prospect rankings throughout the sport.”

IMG_5263.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Even this year’s Civale trade landed a decent prospect for Tampa, and Civale has been basically identical to Sandoval this year. Barrios was a top prospect in the Brewers farm, a consensus Top 5 farm. Given Sandoval’s extra year of control over Civale, the Angels easily should have been able to get a young, MLB-ready hitter in the Top 100 range for him.

“Barrios will give the Rays yet another talented infield defender to plug into the Isystem. The Venezuelan-born 20-year-old is already in High-A and has handled the level quite well despite facing older competition. In 60 games (252 plate appearances), Barrios is slashing .317/.361/.423 (121 wRC+) with a homer, 17 doubles, two triples, 16 steals (in 22 attempts), a 5.2% walk rate and a tiny 9.5% strikeout rate.

Entering the season, Baseball America pegged Barrios 26th in Milwaukee’s system. He sat No. 21 on MLB.com’s list of the top 30 Brewers prospects at the time of the swap, and Keith Law of The Athletic listed him just outside the Brewers’ top-20 farmhands heading into the season. Barrios’ strong defensive skills and potential to be a plus glove at shortstop have made him a prospect of some note in Milwaukee’ system even as he’s struggled offensively in his first three pro seasons.

That well-regarded glove now looks all the more intriguing with Barrios hitting well against more advanced pitching in High-A. He’ll likely slot into the middle of the Rays’ top 30 or so prospects moving forward.”

IMG_5264.jpeg

Edited by totdprods