• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Kevin Pillar reaches 10-year MLB Service Time

I promise I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I'm not sure why there's been so much attention paid to this. They've been mentioning it on the broadcasts for a while, too. Is it just because he was a late-round draft pick, combined with the fact that Gubie coached him? Matt Moore hit 10 years service time last year and I don't remember anyone mentioning it. 

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

I promise I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I'm not sure why there's been so much attention paid to this. They've been mentioning it on the broadcasts for a while, too. Is it just because he was a late-round draft pick, combined with the fact that Gubie coached him? Matt Moore hit 10 years service time last year and I don't remember anyone mentioning it. 

This is why 

I mentioned it at every cocktail party I went to.  All none of them!

I just hope next year Sam Blum does a one year anniversary piece on it.

13 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Who really cares if celebrating a milestone like this isn't the norm. It's a bit of nice news and we can all use more of that.

I'm just always fascinated by what becomes a story and what doesn't.  It's the researcher/marketer in me trying to understand how stories take off.  Totally cool if you don't care.  It's great for him, no doubt. 

Nobody made an announcement of when Kasey Kotchman logged 10 years in the major leagues. That's because, like Pillar, it's a non story. But this year the Angels have so little to promote, so 10 years for a guy they picked up basically for free is now newsworthy.

So far Pillar is having his best hitting season ever in a very controlled usage. Kind of like when Pujols went to the Dodgers and they really only used him in a platoon role. 

Give him credit for persevering despite all the changes in teams he's been through. Ten years of changing cities, relocating, adjusting to new managers and team mates, etc. And being good enough to be desired in trades and acquisitions. Not like he's been some star with long term contracts post Blue Jays, but just a useful player with enough talent to fit into different lineups. On the flip side, being good enough hasn't translated into much job security. Teams always see him as a replaceable player and a potential trade component. But credit to him for achieving this bit of future financial security. 

It's another failure of the MLB PA that just 7% of players play long enough to get a fully vested retirement. Most of those 7% are guys that got significant free agent contracts anyway, Pillar is a rare exception, which is probably one reason it's such a big deal to him.

On 7/6/2024 at 11:54 AM, Blarg said:

Nobody made an announcement of when Kasey Kotchman logged 10 years in the major leagues. That's because, like Pillar, it's a non story. But this year the Angels have so little to promote, so 10 years for a guy they picked up basically for free is now newsworthy.

There’s a difference between 10 years of service time and playing for parts of 10 seasons