• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Pitch recognition.

Is that the problem?  Or is this about guess hitting and coming up empty and looking foolish. I see it in guys like Neto, Moniak , Adell and Ward. I thought this was a bad way of hitting. Of course if the pitcher is tipping go for it.  But early in the count? Schanuel seems to be much more of a pure hitter and is starting to build on his base knowledge of pitchers arsenal.

Yes, the long and short of it, these are not good hitters. They have limited contact points when they hit and its almost always in a launch angle approach. This forces them to be very streaky, when pitchers are hitting their (the hitters') zones, they'll hit. But when they figure out where these hitters are weak, they'll slump. Rengifo is an example of a player that has developed from this mold and is starting to hit the ball where it is pitched. 

It will help not to pay attention to players not named Shanuel, OHoppe, Neto and Rengifo.  That is the core group moving forward, every other player is simply there to fill a spot.  If the Angels had better options, they would be playing.

I just hope Minasian stops aggressively promoting players based on either hope or curiosity. 

Despite having two different GMs, a completely revamped coaching staff, and several different managers over the years, the results remain the same. Every season, we experience periods where we win six to seven games in a row, only to then endure losing streaks of ten games because our offense suddenly forgets how to hit.

Lack of talent? Sure. Injuries? Absolutely. Lack of development? Definitely. Arte not willing to focus on the team? That too. Over the past decade and more, I've concluded that multiple factors are to blame.

Over the years, one of the most frustrating things is seeing the lineup from 1 to 9 fall into the pattern of trying to pull everything. You see it with Neto, who had such a hot start but is now back to being pull-happy. The same goes for O'Hoppe, who is also overly focused on pulling the ball. Ward has been a disappointment as well.