• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

What deadline moves would you make?

54 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Restating the premise of this thread: If the Angels were to continue making the same stupid mistakes of the last decade and try to stall the inevitable rebuild, what would you recommend they do?

Exactly. 

8 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

There are rumors of Ward to Atlanta for a couple of pitching prospects. Ritchie and Winans.  With issues.  Not sure I'd do that. Here's the view from the Braves side 

https://fansided.com/posts/grading-braves-angels-trade-sends-obvious-acuna-replacement-atlanta-taylor-ward

Another “geek living in his parents basement” writer. First of all, Ward isn’t “easily the best healthy position player by far” on this team.  Rengifo certainly can’t be left out of that equation. And why would we want a 28 year old AAAA pitcher in a trade for one of our most valuable trade pieces? Dumb.

21 hours ago, Hubs said:

Two caveats: 1) This is about contending in 2025 or 2026 only, no tear it down and trade everyone posts...

You say that, then go on to do that exact thing in your later post.

21 hours ago, Hubs said:

For me:

Deadline Moves

1) I would trade Rengifo..I would include a secondary bullpen arm like Garcia out of our impending free agents if they need that to get it done. 

2) I would trade Estevez 

3) I would trade Anderson to the Brewers or Orioles. 

4) I'd trade Pillar for a middle grade prospect.

5) I'd trade Drury if he's heathy and brings back anything of value. I may look to resign him in the offseason.

6) I'd trade most of the other cheap relievers if any team wants them and I would target AA or AAA arms in deals back. You might find a gem.

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Restating the premise of this thread: If the Angels were to continue making the same stupid mistakes of the last decade and try to stall the inevitable rebuild, what would you recommend they do?

Based on that premise, i know the same ole, same ole will happen. So i would just deal all the guys on expiring contracts for the time being, unless you get an offer you can't refuse. Then deal the others who are not in the future plans during the offseason. I am leaning into keeping Rengifo, and on the fence with what to do with Ward and Anderson. As the next 3 weeks come around, things will become more clear. I am also running out of patience with Moniak and Adell. The strikeouts are driving me crazy.

17 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

To be fair, he only suggested trading two guys who are controllable beyond this season, and both of them are only controllable for '25.

Right, but that’s not that dissimilar from what a full sell off would look like.

A full sell off would be all those guys he mentioned + Ward and Canning.

(I don’t think there’s any thought to trading the Soriano/Neto/O’Hoppe types even in a full sell off)

21 hours ago, stormngt said:

I do not think there is a pathway to make this team competitive in 2025 unless we are expecting to be lucky.

If 2025 is the goal the trade only expiring contracts.  Maybe trade Anderson or Rengifro if we get a great offer.

If 2026 or later is your goal:

1. Trade Kennedy, Rengifro, and Ward.

2. Trade expiring contracts.

3. Look to add  Vlad Jr 

SP: Caden, Daniels, Soriano, Canning, and Silseth. Could be competitive.

Adding Vlad Jr would potentially be a massive win for the Halos. Not big on trading Ward quite yet considering how much he contributes offensively. Just my take. 

44 minutes ago, angelsfan100 said:

Adding Vlad Jr would potentially be a massive win for the Halos. Not big on trading Ward quite yet considering how much he contributes offensively. Just my take. 

The Angels do not have the pieces to get Vlad Jr. (if the Jays do even trade him) without completely gutting an already very weak system.  That is absolutely not what they should be doing--especially for a guy who's only controllable for one more year.

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

The Angels do not have the pieces to get Vlad Jr. (if the Jays do even trade him) without completely gutting an already very weak system.  That is absolutely not what they should be doing--especially for a guy who's only controllable for one more year.

I’m thinking he meant signing him as FA after 2025.

I'd like to see Vlad Jr prove that 2021 wasn't a fluke before giving him a mega-contract. He had the second highest wRC+ baseball in 2021 (166) and has been 28th highest since (128). That's still very good, but not elite. 

Not to mention, I'd like to see the Angels stay away from $100M+ mega-contracts. Not a single one has turned out well, and the biggest--Pujols, Trout, Rendon--have all been disastrous.

5 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

I do not think halos will get a lot for Anderson unless they eat some of his contract. If they paid most of it halos might get decent prospect back.

12M for what he's done this year with one year left at 12M..

That's a bargain! Teams gave Thor 10M and he did nothing... Hell the Brewers just traded for Dallas Keuchel....

There will be teams calling for Tyler Anderson 

1 minute ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

That's a bargain! Teams gave Thor 10M and he did nothing... Hell the Brewers just traded for Dallas Keuchel....

Not that it makes a big difference, but it's $13M, not $12M.

3 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I know they will be calling but his numbers are fools gold this year. Walk rate up K rate down. Hopefully he can put up decent numbers till deadline. Couple of bad outings not going to get much in less u pay down that contract, in my opinion.

Tear it down. Trade anyone and everyone. Lets pull an Astros and build up the farm system thru trades and draft picks for 2-3+ years.

Try and contend in 2028 at the earliest. Anything else is just useless. We need to add some real minor league prospects and get some legit scouting and then add some legit coaches in our minor leagues to help them be the best players they can be.

7 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

I know they will be calling but his numbers are fools gold this year. Walk rate up K rate down. Hopefully he can put up decent numbers till deadline. Couple of bad outings not going to get much in less u pay down that contract, in my opinion.

Yeah the thing about TA is his analytics are terrible. They indicate he is getting wildly lucky and overall kind of stinks. Obviously the results themselves have been great. But the issue from the Angels standpoint is that in a trade, the super analytical teams aren't going to be very interested since the analytics indicate it's fool's gold. It will just be a narrower audience which probably limits the compensation.

I know I’ve beaten it to death but not moving Sandoval snakebit us. After Civale landed Manzardo last year, it definitely set Sandoval’s value as someone who should’ve gotten us at least a reasonably bankable hitting prospect. Baltimore was a perfect match. 

Anyways.

I don’t think Anderson gets top prospect return. Change of scenery young players, maybe one solid prospect if they throw in a reliever or some of the other SP trade candidates get hurt or contenders lose more arms to injury. Sticking with something like Anderson (maybe plus a fringier prospect or spare part) to Milwaukee for Ashby and Mitchell. Angels get Ashby’s contract and injury concerns (shoulder) and another young OF to step in to compete or replace Adell/Moniak for 2025.

I think they can move Ward. He has a ton of value because he has a couple years of control after this year, and it’s a light market for hitters and plenty of demand. I think the Angels can weather losing him better than they can Rengifo. The infield depth has just been too thin the last few years, and worst-case scenario they could even make Rengifo an OF (though I wouldn’t).

Get whoever you can for Pillar, Estevez, Moore, Garcia and Drury or Sano if they turn it around. 

Sign a mid-tier arm, a low to mid-tier OF to replace Ward, and a couple cheap one-year vet RPs again this winter, and try to pull a similar deadline next year. If you can throw enough money to sign a top arm or bat this winter, and they want to come here, go for it.