• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

If there was a Mt Rushmore of ballplayers, who should it be?

I love and hate these things at the same time. If we just go with all players ever regardless of steroids then in my opinion in no particular order it’s: 

Ruth

Bonds

Aaron

Williams

if you eliminate Bonds then it’s Mays. 

AngelsWin I’d go with:

@Lou

@Inside Pitch

@Docwaukee

@Chuck

Without Chuck we aren’t sharing these days together.
Honorable mention would be @Tank and for a few years I just could not wait for @DowningRules to post because he was a gifted writer, who shared his life in real time. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I love and hate these things at the same time. If we just go with all players ever regardless of steroids then in my opinion in no particular order it’s: 

Ruth

Bonds

Aaron

Williams

AngelsWin I’d go with:

@Lou

@Inside Pitch

@Docwaukee

@Chuck

Honorable mention would be @Tank and for a few years I just could not wait for @DowningRules to post because he was a gifted writer, who shared his life in real time. 

Yeah well fuck you then sir

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

Ruth

Bonds

Aaron

Williams

AngelsWin I’d go with:

@Lou

@Inside Pitch

@Docwaukee

@Chuck

I am honored sir.  Haven't been around much lately.  Mostly life stuff and not because of how bad the team is. 

I think the players that "have to" be on baseball's Mt Rushmore would be Ruth, Williams, and Mays. Ruth is Ruth; Williams is the greatest hitter of all time; and Mays might be the best overall player of all time, especially if you take into account non-objective elements and "vibe." I think Mantle was slightly better in his prime, but Mays did it for longer.

After that it is hard to pick that 4th spot...and really, picking just four is an impossible task. I mean, you need a pitcher, but who? Sandy Koufax has the glamour, but there were other pitchers just as good and with longer careers. Clemens is obviously tainted (as is Bonds - even though he'd be on my personal Mt Rushmore).  I also hate excluding Wagner, Cobb, Hornsby, Gehrig, Mantle, Aaron, etc.

In terms of the most impressive ballplayers of my time as a fan, going back to the early 80s--not necessarily objectively the best, but just the most awesome to behold and that I was old enough to see and remember, I'd pick: Bonds, Pedro, and Trout. Not sure about the 4th spot (again).

Bonds was the best player of the 90s and then he went through the roof in 2001-04...I know, he was roiding, but he was still playing at a level I haven't seen before or since. Similar to Pedro for a bit there. Clemens, Maddux, and Johnson all had better careers, but Pedro in his prime was, imo, the best pitcher in baseball history. Trout is easy to pick - best Angel ever, so I'm biased. But he's also arguably the best player of the 21st century, or eventually will be once he passes A-Rod and Pujols in WAR (he's 4.2 fWAR behind).

My 4th spot might go to either Randy Johnson or Rickey Henderson, who is the most dynamic, fun player to watch that I've seen. But Randy just scared me, and is maybe the most intimidating player I've ever seen.