• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

If the Angels committed to a full rebuild...

Rebuild Pole  

49 members have voted

1. 1. How many crappy seasons to turn the Angels org around?

• One more (good in 2026)
    • Two more (good in 2027)
    • Three more (good in 2028)
    • Four more (good in 2029)
    • Five-plus more (good in 2030 or beyond)

7 minutes ago, Tank said:

a minimum of three years, but i voted for four. it won't surprise me if it takes longer. it really depends on how much longer arte owns the team. 

regardless, it's going to take a serious influx of talent in order for this team to be competitive/successful.

This. Stranger things have happened but they need to hit big time on draft picks, get the most out of reclamation projects, their young guys need to produce and Trout needs to play more than 120 games in a season regularly. Currently they have one if not the worst farm systems in the league, miss way more often than not on reclamation projects and signings, the young guys they needed to step up notably SP have taken steps back and Trout can’t stay on the field. Calling this franchise a dumpster fire right now would be an overstatement. 

22 hours ago, BTH said:

It is a bad thing.

The GM should have autonomy to make the best moves he sees fit for the org.

And if the owner doesn’t trust that GM, he shouldn’t be employed.

The issue is that experienced solid GMs seemingly don’t want to work for Moreno/Carpino/Kuhl.

I don't think this team needs to undergo a full teardown. With the right draft picks, we could significantly boost our minor league system. Ideally, we could add up to two players who could easily be top 100 prospects from this draft thanks to the amount of picks we have, and than there is next years draft. The emergence of Soriano has been a bright spot, giving us a top-of-the-rotation arm. Additionally, we have Dana down in AA, who also has front-of-the-rotation potential and could make it to the majors next year. Following him is Kent, who is probably a year behind Dana in development. The pitching upside looks promising, and if we can add another top-of-the-rotation arm (which is possible), our pitching staff could become quite solid.

Honestly, with the emergence of Soriano and the potential of Dana getting called up next year, it reminds me a lot of the Pirates this year with Jones and Skene. Both Soriano and Dana show front-of-the-rotation potential, similar to how Jones and Skene have bolstered the Pirates' pitching staff.

We also need to be strategic at the trade deadline. Trading Anderson could fetch us a nice return, as many teams will be in the race and pitching will be in high demand. Anderson could potentially bring us a top 100 prospect, along with a prospect in the 7-15 range and another in the 20-30 range. This would significantly add to our talent pool and strengthen our minor league system.

Similarly, we should consider trading Ward to see if he can fetch us two top 100 prospects and two prospects in the 10-30 range. Given our lack of elite or above-average position players in the upper levels, our focus in both the draft and trades should be on acquiring position players to boost the system and add depth. This strategy will help balance our roster and ensure a stronger overall talent pool. Those are the two main players I would consider trading due to their age and current value. However, I would keep Rengifo because of his age and hitting ability, and I would actually try to extend his contract. Retaining Rengifo would help maintain a core of young talent that we can build around while we bolster our minor league system with new prospects.

On 6/14/2024 at 2:30 PM, Jason said:

I chose 5 because “As long as Arte owns the team” wasn’t a choice. There is nothing in the recent history that shows me that this organization can build anything that resembles a championship caliber ball club.

Yup, 5 years is optimistic in any scenario.

11 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Can you name a GM who clearly has less than Perry?

I have no idea how to find that out. I’m an Angel fan so I don’t have a clue if Miami’s AGM has more or less. Can you name one that has 100% autonomy?  

5 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I don't think this team needs to undergo a full teardown. With the right draft picks, we could significantly boost our minor league system. Ideally, we could add up to two players who could easily be top 100 prospects from this draft thanks to the amount of picks we have, and than there is next years draft. The emergence of Soriano has been a bright spot, giving us a top-of-the-rotation arm. Additionally, we have Dana down in AA, who also has front-of-the-rotation potential and could make it to the majors next year. Following him is Kent, who is probably a year behind Dana in development. The pitching upside looks promising, and if we can add another top-of-the-rotation arm (which is possible), our pitching staff could become quite solid.

Honestly, with the emergence of Soriano and the potential of Dana getting called up next year, it reminds me a lot of the Pirates this year with Jones and Skene. Both Soriano and Dana show front-of-the-rotation potential, similar to how Jones and Skene have bolstered the Pirates' pitching staff.

We also need to be strategic at the trade deadline. Trading Anderson could fetch us a nice return, as many teams will be in the race and pitching will be in high demand. Anderson could potentially bring us a top 100 prospect, along with a prospect in the 7-15 range and another in the 20-30 range. This would significantly add to our talent pool and strengthen our minor league system.

Similarly, we should consider trading Ward to see if he can fetch us two top 100 prospects and two prospects in the 10-30 range. Given our lack of elite or above-average position players in the upper levels, our focus in both the draft and trades should be on acquiring position players to boost the system and add depth. This strategy will help balance our roster and ensure a stronger overall talent pool. Those are the two main players I would consider trading due to their age and current value. However, I would keep Rengifo because of his age and hitting ability, and I would actually try to extend his contract. Retaining Rengifo would help maintain a core of young talent that we can build around while we bolster our minor league system with new prospects.

When Soriano was made a starter, I thought it was a great move. It has worked out better than expected so far. I do wonder what kind of haul Angels could get for him since they have so many needs. 

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

When Soriano was made a starter, I thought it was a great move. It has worked out better than expected so far. I do wonder what kind of haul Angels could get for him since they have so many needs. 

Moving him to starter also boosted his trade value tremendously. I’m not saying it won’t last, but if they partially carried out this experiment with some intent to manipulate his trade value, it’s absolutely worked so far. 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

I have no idea how to find that out. I’m an Angel fan so I don’t have a clue if Miami’s AGM has more or less. Can you name one that has 100% autonomy?  

Every GM at the very least will have to work within the confines of a flexible budget. Aside from that I believe Billy Beane has full autonomy. Also I recall Dave Dombrowski not being interested in the Angels job because it did not offer him full autonomy, which he got from the Phillies.

7 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Every GM at the very least will have to work within the confines of a flexible budget. Aside from that I believe Billy Beane has full autonomy. Also I recall Dave Dombrowski not being interested in the Angels job because it did not offer him full autonomy, which he got from the Phillies.

Billy Beane isn’t a GM. Also he has an ownership stake in the team in his role.  Dombrowski isn’t an GM either. 

Back to Gifo. No denying he’s got big league skills but I’d trade him for a like talent in a heart beat.

I’ve seen one too many errors and mental lapses on defense, especially in tight situations—unlike nails neto. I don’t think he’ll mature further there. Not a guy you want if the goal is a deep postseason run.

45 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Billy Beane isn’t a GM. Also he has an ownership stake in the team in his role.  Dombrowski isn’t an GM either. 

This is a wild distinction. They are the top baseball people in their organization. If that isn't good enough for comparison then the team has a far more significant issue than Perry's seeming lack of autonomy.

20 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

This is a wild distinction. They are the top baseball people in their organization. If that isn't good enough for comparison then the team has a far more significant issue than Perry's seeming lack of autonomy.

No GM has autonomy, Including those guys.  Do you really think Beane wants have a shit payroll and to trade every valuable asset he’s had the last decade?  

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

No GM has autonomy, Including those guys.  Do you really think Beane wants have a shit payroll and to trade every valuable asset he’s had the last decade?  

Well I already said no GM can spend however much he wants, but that's not really the issue is it? Beane absolutely is the guy deciding to trade his guys because he does not have the payroll space to keep them and add pieces around them.

40 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Well I already said no GM can spend however much he wants, but that's not really the issue is it? Beane absolutely is the guy deciding to trade his guys because he does not have the payroll space to keep them and add pieces around them.

And he’s not the GM and he has an ownership stake in the team. 

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

And he’s not the GM and he has an ownership stake in the team. 

You make it sound like the Angels have an insane vacancy in the front office. Teams without a PBO do not have that role filled by the owner, that is in no way normal.