• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels roast Altuve on the Jumbotron

It's good PR when your team sucks to call out players on other teams for the way they suck.

They should have run that highlight of him refusing to take off his jersey after hitting a homerun because he did't want to expose the device being used to cheat. 

Its all in good fun. Literally every stadium will do these things from time to time. Saying this somehow further represents the direction of the franchise is quite the stretch. 

22 minutes ago, James said:

Its all in good fun. Literally every stadium will do these things from time to time. Saying this somehow further represents the direction of the franchise is quite the stretch. 

Thanks, John Carpino. 

18 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Petty b.s., but can't say I'm surprised, given how much of a shitshow everything else in the organization is these days.

I swear the Angels social media guy or gal and scoreboard operator this season must be 16 years old. 

25 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I swear the Angels social media guy or gal and scoreboard operator this season must be 16 years old. 

It's all in good fun. Every team does it.

21 minutes ago, James said:

One of the examples you posted focuses on the fanbase, not the player. 

Another focuses on "fights" the player got into and is actually kind of a positive comment in a funny way. 

The third focuses on a single AB earlier in the game in a funny way. 

The Angels example cherry-picks a specific stat to seemingly imply that Altuve is a bad player. To me, that's different. There's no humor there. It's just them saying, "Here's a stat where he's bad." It's petty and dumb, especially given the failings of a lot of the Angels players. 

4 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Another focuses on "fights" the player got into and is actually kind of a positive comment in a funny way. 

The Angels example cherry-picks a specific stat to seemingly imply that Altuve is a bad player. To me, that's different. There's no humor there. It's just them saying, "Here's a stat where he's bad." It's petty and dumb, especially given the failings of a lot of the Angels players. 

Been to plenty of games where they did exactly what the Angels did. I grabbed a few stories quickly to show that this is rather normal. Its really a big ol "who the eff cares" in reality. I see those and shake my head and move on. If you want to decide this somehow is correlated to the terrible on field product, have at it. 

Edited by James

18 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

To me it implies that Altuve has the fourth worst OAA in the American League, and that's an undeniable fact. 

It's also hilarious, because not only is it silly to pull a stat like that out of their ass to take a shot, but it's also a backhanded compliment to Altuve if they have to dig that far to get some dirt on him. I really think it's not something that should be taken too seriously. 

Regardless fuck Altuve. He should still be booed every time he comes to the plate. That little twit can eat shit for the rest of his career as far as I'm concerned.  

On 6/10/2024 at 4:36 PM, Angelsjunky said:

Yet Altuve remains better than any Angel, by a long-shot. I mean, even Trout:

2021-24 WAR: Altuve 18.1, Trout 12.0

Altuve's had a higher WAR in each of those seasons. You have to go back to 2020 to find a season in which Trout was better than Altuve.

I'll be honest, I was surprised his bWAR was 12 given how little he's played.  Also, WAR being a counting stat, games played is a huge factor. If you rate it out and give them the equal number of PAs Trout would be around 21 bWAR. Also, if my Aunt had nuts....

Whatever, dude hasn't been healthy and it's killed the Angels.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'll be honest, I was surprised his bWAR was 12 given how little he's played.  Also, WAR being a counting stat, games played is a huge factor. If you rate it out and give them the equal number of PAs Trout would be around 21 bWAR. Also, if my Aunt had nuts....

Whatever, dude hasn't been healthy and it's killed the Angels.

Trout's averaged 7.3 fWAR per 162 games in 2021-24, so his "pound per pound" level has still been superstardom, if not the superduperstardom of 2012-19. But in the end, 12 WAR is 3/year, while Altuve's rate is 4.5/year, ergo: Altuve > Trout.