• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Athletic's MLB Player Poll: Angels get several mentions

...and most aren't good. 

I'll post the ones that are the most interesting to me.  Full article here: 

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5529966/2024/06/10/mlb-player-poll-overrated-underrated-worst-organization/

image.jpeg

"This year’s runner-up was Angels infielder Rendon, with 10.2 percent of the total. Long-time readers of The Athletic might be surprised to see his name here, as he was voted the most underrated player in baseball by his peers in our player poll back in 2019. Said one player at the time: “He makes every single play. I think he’s a superstar.” A lot can change in five years."

image.jpeg

"Almost one-third of those polled agreed with Rendon. Some respondents offered that 140-150 games would be ideal, while a few even suggested 120 would be a better target. Several admitted that they thought the season was too long but acknowledged it would be too difficult to change for historical and record-keeping purposes and ultimately voted “no.”

However, the overwhelming view of those we polled was that the schedule is fine as is. “I think (the season) feels long, but I also think it’s fair for everyone,” said an AL pitcher. ”It’s part of the grind. It’s part of what makes it so hard.

image.jpeg

"On the Angels:

“(I’ve heard that they) treat their minor-leaguers like crap.”

“The organization is just run pretty poorly and pretty cheap.”

“General dysfunction.”

“Been there, done that, and I have never heard a good thing about them.”

11 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

On the other hand, here's a more positive story. About how Pillar serves as a quasi player/coach, helping the young players. These are the sort of things that help form a collective culture from the inside. 

https://www.si.com/mlb/angels/angels-news/angels-veteran-relishes-role-as-a-coach-on-the-field-01hztcf412gs

Cool.  He'll be gone in 6 weeks. 

18 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Or sooner.  The Braves could really use him. 

Sure, 6 weeks is the max, most likely.  Though if the Braves were going to go for someone like him, I figure they would have already done it, since I can't imagine it would take much to get him.  I have a feeling that if the Braves make a move for an OF, it might be for something with more upside.  Just a gut, no specific reason that I think that.

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

How can you be overrated if you never play?

I found that puzzling as well.

My only theory is that they factored in salary.

Like, he’s not worth his contract so he’s overrated.

A dumb way to look at it, but I don’t know how else you could arrive at that conclusion.

16 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Sure, 6 weeks is the max, most likely.  Though if the Braves were going to go for someone like him, I figure they would have already done it, since I can't imagine it would take much to get him.  I have a feeling that if the Braves make a move for an OF, it might be for something with more upside.  Just a gut, no specific reason that I think that.

I tend to agree....but Pillar could be a quick fix now plus a 4th OF'er type if they go after a longer term solution (Taylor Ward, etc.).  But, we don't know if AA has talked to Perry about Pillar. Maybe Perry wants too much. 🤷‍♂️  If the return for Pillar is minimal, I'd probably just as soon hang on to him.  Moniak and Adell aren't exactly on fire. 

2 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I tend to agree....but Pillar could be a quick fix now plus a 4th OF'er type if they go after a longer term solution (Taylor Ward, etc.).  But, we don't know if AA has talked to Perry about Pillar. Maybe Perry wants too much. 🤷‍♂️  If the return for Pillar is minimal, I'd probably just as soon hang on to him.  Moniak and Adell aren't exactly on fire. 

I hear you, but I'm still very much in the "anything is better than nothing" camp when it comes to the return on someone like Pillar or any of the other expiring contracts.

3 minutes ago, BTH said:

I found that puzzling as well.

My only theory is that they factored in salary.

Like, he’s not worth his contract so he’s overrated.

A dumb way to look at it, but I don’t know how else you could arrive at that conclusion.

I think it's a combination of salary, performance when he has actually played, and his overall availability.

That said, even if he hadn't been hurt as much, I still don't think he ever "deserved" (however you want to define that word) being the highest-paid position player in the AL, which he was for a couple years of the contract.

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

...and most aren't good. 

I'll post the ones that are the most interesting to me.  Full article here: 

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5529966/2024/06/10/mlb-player-poll-overrated-underrated-worst-organization/

image.jpeg

"This year’s runner-up was Angels infielder Rendon, with 10.2 percent of the total. Long-time readers of The Athletic might be surprised to see his name here, as he was voted the most underrated player in baseball by his peers in our player poll back in 2019. Said one player at the time: “He makes every single play. I think he’s a superstar.” A lot can change in five years."

image.jpeg

"Almost one-third of those polled agreed with Rendon. Some respondents offered that 140-150 games would be ideal, while a few even suggested 120 would be a better target. Several admitted that they thought the season was too long but acknowledged it would be too difficult to change for historical and record-keeping purposes and ultimately voted “no.”

However, the overwhelming view of those we polled was that the schedule is fine as is. “I think (the season) feels long, but I also think it’s fair for everyone,” said an AL pitcher. ”It’s part of the grind. It’s part of what makes it so hard.

image.jpeg

"On the Angels:

“(I’ve heard that they) treat their minor-leaguers like crap.”

“The organization is just run pretty poorly and pretty cheap.”

“General dysfunction.”

“Been there, done that, and I have never heard a good thing about them.”

It’s not a stretch to say that the Angels are going to have a tough time getting good free agents to sign with them. That coupled with poor drafting and development assures this team is in the toilet for a very long time. 

1 hour ago, Duren, Duren said:

On the other hand, here's a more positive story. About how Pillar serves as a quasi player/coach, helping the young players. These are the sort of things that help form a collective culture from the inside. 

https://www.si.com/mlb/angels/angels-news/angels-veteran-relishes-role-as-a-coach-on-the-field-01hztcf412gs

There's one of these fluff pieces every year...   Suzuki, Moustakas, this year it's Pillar.

28 minutes ago, Jason said:

It’s not a stretch to say that the Angels are going to have a tough time getting good free agents to sign with them. That coupled with poor drafting and development assures this team is in the toilet for a very long time. 

Somewhere, Stradling's ears just buzzed.

10 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Stupid Arte..  if he wasn't so cheap the Angels could have THREE of the most overrated players in MLB according to this poll.

You mean the guy that over the last 11 games is hitting .192/.255/.340/.595? 

40 minutes ago, Blarg said:

You mean the guy that over the last 11 games is hitting .192/.255/.340/.595? 

Yes, the guy that would rank 10th in bWAR on the Angels behind Griffin Canning and also the Cy Young Award winner that currently has an ERA near 10.00 (9.51), and hasn't managed to see the 5th inning in any of his 6 starts.