• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The difference between the Angels and Dodgers (FanGraphs)

Posted (edited)

Really good article on FanGraphs highlighting the difference between the Angels and Dodgers, specifically in how the Dodgers get the most out of their players compared to the Angels.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/shohei-ohtanis-threshold-moment-with-the-angels/

The Dodgers always outperform their win projections, while the Angels always underperform those very same win projections:

IMG_3578.jpeg

LAD gets more out of their top prospects:

IMG_3579.jpeg
IMG_3580.jpeg

LAD gets more out of their free agent/trade acquisitions:

IMG_3581.jpeg

IMG_3582.jpeg

As mentioned in the article, the Dodgers have a dedicated sports science department— something the Angels don’t have.

It all goes back to Arte not providing the resources to build a proper organization.

The Dodgers are lightyears ahead of the Angels, and nothing is gonna change until Arte does.

Edited by BTH

• BTH changed the title to The difference between the Angels and Dodgers (FanGraphs)
9 minutes ago, T.G. said:

The biggest difference is that the Dodgers have an ownership group that gets out of the way and let's the baseball people take care of baseball.

Correct.

15 minutes ago, T.G. said:

I don't need an article or stats or graphs to tell me that.

Sure, but this is an interesting look at how much better they are— if you’re interested in such (which you’ve established you’re not).

16 hours ago, Jason said:

The Angels organization has developed a culture of losing and mediocrity and it all starts at the top with Moreno. It will NEVER change as long as he owns the team. 

So, ten-year rebuild?

I mean, he's got to sell before that!

2 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

So, ten-year rebuild?

I mean, he's got to sell before that!

Arte isn’t a rebuild type of owner so expect him to throw more money at over the hill free agents with the hope that gets more casual fans to buy tickets to games. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Arte isn’t a rebuild type of owner so expect him to throw more money at over the hill free agents with the hope that gets more casual fans to buy tickets to games. 

Then why didn’t he go that route this year?  I highly doubt he will take that approach. Not until there’s a guarantee of long term tv revenue. 

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Then why didn’t he go that route this year?  I highly doubt he will take that approach. Not until there’s a guarantee of long term tv revenue. 

This year they chose to do nothing to upgrade the club. I guess that’s even worse. There’s also the chance that free agents just don’t want to play for this club. Since he’s owned the club they have shown very little interest in developing young talent and I have no reason to believe that will ever change. What is their current TV contract?

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

This year they chose to do nothing to upgrade the club. I guess that’s even worse. There’s also the chance that free agents just don’t want to play for this club. Since he’s owned the club they have shown very little interest in developing young talent and I have no reason to believe that will ever change. What is their current TV contract?

My understanding, and I could be wrong, is the guarantee is only through this year because of the Diamond RSN issues. @jsnpritchett does that sound right?

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

My understanding, and I could be wrong, is the guarantee is only through this year because of the Diamond RSN issues. @jsnpritchett does that sound right?

Technically speaking, they have a contract through 2031. Realistically speaking, it's uncertain whether Diamond will be able to pay the Angels or anyone else beyond this year. At this point, if they survive bankruptcy, it looks like they'll go year-to-year until they either shore up their finances, or just close up shop permanently. If they do survive past this year, they may still try to drop more of the underperforming deals they've signed and stick with the profitable/close to profitable ones. 

But I would be very surprised if the Angels end up getting the full value of their entire deal even if some version of Diamond lasts until 2031.