• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread (5/29/24): Yankees @ Angels: Anderson on the mound

The fact that Perry and their entire baseball OPS feel that Mickey Moniak should be getting at-bats to suggest he's part of their future is mind boggling.

This is the same team that was benching Moniak out of the gate in favor of Aaron Hicks when everyone knew Hicks was a much better hitter from the right side than the left. 

Just now, Chuck said:

The fact that Perry and their entire baseball OPS feel that Mickey Moniak should be getting at-bats to suggest he's part of their future is mind boggling.

This is the same team that was benching Moniak out of the gate in favor of Aaron Hicks when everyone knew Hicks was a much better hitter from the right side than the left. 

I'm gonna put on my tinfoil hat for a moment.  Maybe they're trying to protect Pillar's value, while trying to rebuild some of Moniak's.  Pillar obviously isn't going to be with the team next year, and will almost assuredly be gone by August.  He's playing great right now, so play him in the situations that are the most beneficial to keeping his value as high as it can be (which isn't very high, tbh, even with his hot streak).  And with Moniak, this is probably a make or break year for him, so give him all/almost all the ABs against righties.  If he finds himself, great.  If not, cut bait.

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'm gonna put on my tinfoil hat for a moment.  Maybe they're trying to protect Pillar's value, while trying to rebuild some of Moniak's.  Pillar obviously isn't going to be with the team next year, and will almost assuredly be gone by August.  He's playing great right now, so play him in the situations that are the most beneficial to keeping his value as high as it can be (which isn't very high, tbh, even with his hot streak).  And with Moniak, this is probably a make or break year for him, so give him all/almost all the ABs against righties.  If he finds himself, great.  If not, cut bait.

That makes sense. Just found it odd that they didn't give Moniak ab's for almost a month until Hicks was gone, now when someone is actually contributing they bench that player so Moniak can get ab's. 

6 minutes ago, Chuck said:

That makes sense. Just found it odd that they didn't give Moniak ab's for almost a month until Hicks was gone, now when someone is actually contributing they bench that player so Moniak can get ab's. 

Yeah, Hicks shouldn’t have been getting any ABs vs. RHP at the beginning of the season.

I’m torn on the Pillar/Moniak thing, because I can see both sides.

On one hand, you play the hot hand. On the other hand, Pillar has been thriving in the way they’ve been using him. If they run him into the ground or overexpose him, they’ll get no value for him.

I think Moniak is probably a lost cause, but this is the season to give him ABs and find out definitively if that’s the case.

20 hours ago, BTH said:

Yeah, Hicks shouldn’t have been getting any ABs vs. RHP at the beginning of the season.

I’m torn on the Pillar/Moniak thing, because I can see both sides.

On one hand, you play the hot hand. On the other hand, Pillar has been thriving in the way they’ve been using him. If they run him into the ground or overexpose him, they’ll get no value for him.

I think Moniak is probably a lost cause, but this is the season to give him ABs and find out definitively if that’s the case.

I don't think so. I think something else may be going on or maybe it's just a confidence thing. Like what's been said, Moniak should have been getting regular at-bats out of the gate rather than wasting them on Hicks. If Wash really wants to get him going, let him face some lefties too.

Right now, I think the Angels have to invest in O'Hoppe, Neto, Schanuel, and to a degree, Rengifo. They need to see if Moniak and Adell will join that group. The only way is to give them plenty of at-bats. We all love what Pillar is doing but he's not the future.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, No Roles said:

what a lucky f in double play....we will take it

Yeah, that's a weird call, even if it is the rule.  I'm not sure what Soto is supposed to do there.  I think the announcers are making too big of a deal out of the "hip check" from Soto.  It looked to me like he was just reaching back to get to the base.

Edited by jsnpritchett

Just now, m0nkey said:

Neto goes forward then backs up into Soto, who's just trying to get back to second base.  It's an infield fly rule so the fact that the ball dropped is irrelevant 

except if he caught the and tagged 2b before Soto it's a DP anyway.

That is exactly the type of BS Soto does.  Last season he was frequently trying to get a time violation on the pitcher by doing the one foot in the batters box thing.

It is just too bad they didn't run him along with Boone.

Just now, Slegnaac said:

That is exactly the type of BS Soto does.  Last season he was frequently trying to get a time violation on the pitcher by doing the one foot in the batters box thing.

It is just too bad they didn't run him along with Boone.

Lol, calm down.  I honestly don't see what he did that was so bad.