• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official (2024) Los Angeles Angels Trade Deadline Thread

1 minute ago, Halo in Chicago said:

Can someone explain how Lugo is a better prospect than Hiura or whoever that was that was hitting homers like crazy in the minors?

I know nothing about either player. Does Lugo rate out higher overall? Younger? Thanks in advance. 

Hiura turns 28 tomorrow, and isn't a prospect. He has over 1000 PA's since 2019.

Lugo is 23, has never been in the majors, and has shown some promise this year with a .942 OPS for Worcester AAA. Polar Park is a hitter's park, but nowhere near the level of Salt Lake. 

5 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Hiura turns 28 tomorrow, and isn't a prospect. He has over 1000 PA's since 2019.

Lugo is 23, has never been in the majors, and has shown some promise this year with a .942 OPS for Worcester AAA. Polar Park is a hitter's park, but nowhere near the level of Salt Lake. 

Thank you 

On 7/30/2024 at 5:01 PM, tdawg87 said:

Rendon is just broken. His hand-eye coordination is still there but his body disagrees. 

Rendon relied on his given talent. He is not a worker and it shows as he ages. He had one All-Star year and a few other good years but he was never a     $240 M player. Arte interfered and the team was stuck with a dude who isn't the dude.

2 minutes ago, Tank said:

i wonder if the reason ward wasn't traded had anything to do with trout's setback. perry may have known something ahead of the official announcement.

I think it has more to do with the fact that he's hitting like .063 for the last two months and appears to be afraid to hit sometimes.

16 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Read a tweet this AM from a Cubs fan  Page saying that the Cubs made a  huge trade push for o'hoppe 

https://ivyleaguecubs.com/2024/08/04/cubs-tried-for-logan-ohoppe-offered-massive-prospect-haul/

Amazes me that anybody with a keyboard can claim to be a smart baseball guy. Guy says he wouldn't give up the #3 and 4 prospects in their system for O'Hoppe.  Really dumb. O'Hoppe and Rutschman are the two best young Catchers in MLB.  If you wouldn't give up your 3 and 4 prospects for either, you're not a very smart GM.

4 hours ago, DMVol said:

Amazes me that anybody with a keyboard can claim to be a smart baseball guy. Guy says he wouldn't give up the #3 and 4 prospects in their system for O'Hoppe.  Really dumb. O'Hoppe and Rutschman are the two best young Catchers in MLB.  If you wouldn't give up your 3 and 4 prospects for either, you're not a very smart GM.

Catchers like O’Hoppe had never, eeever played for the Halos before he arrived.

I’m not sure I would even trade him for those two prospects PLUS two other top 10 Cubs prospects.

6 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

Read a tweet this AM from a Cubs fan  Page saying that the Cubs made a  huge trade push for o'hoppe 

https://ivyleaguecubs.com/2024/08/04/cubs-tried-for-logan-ohoppe-offered-massive-prospect-haul/

O’Hoppe is the only guy on the team I wouldn’t even think about trading. You don’t find players with that level of leadership, awareness, clutch often, let alone plus offense, good defense and the fact he is a catcher.

I was gone the past 10 days on vacation in another country, but having had some time to review and reflect on what Perry Minasian did at the deadline, I'm pretty stoked with the returns he got for Estevez and Garcia. 

I was bummed that he didn't trade Tyler Anderson, Taylor Ward and maybe guys like Kevin Pillar, players on expiring contracts, but all signs point to him getting shitty offers for those guys and I've never been a fan of trading just to trade. 

So in reflection, I think Minasian gets a B- on his trade deadline moves/non-moves. 

48 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I was gone the past 10 days on vacation in another country, but having had some time to review and reflect on what Perry Minasian did at the deadline, I'm pretty stoked with the returns he got for Estevez and Garcia. 

I was bummed that he didn't trade Tyler Anderson, Taylor Ward and maybe guys like Kevin Pillar, players on expiring contracts, but all signs point to him getting shitty offers for those guys and I've never been a fan of trading just to trade. 

So in reflection, I think Minasian gets a B- on his trade deadline moves/non-moves. 

I think he did fine. I'm over it. I'd rather keep Rengifo anyway.

He maximized the return on 2 relievers. Red Sox fans were in cope mode saying "hurr durr they're all rule 5 guys" which, you know fair enough. But you still gave up 4 prospects for a decent middle reliever. 

37 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

He maximized the return on 2 relievers. Red Sox fans were in cope mode saying "hurr durr they're all rule 5 guys" which, you know fair enough. But you still gave up 4 prospects for a decent middle reliever. 

A guy they could have had for just 4 mil.  

I was not on board with trading Anderson or Rengifo simply because of, who are you playing next year?

In Anderson's case the Angels had already lost 180 innings when Sandoval went down. Covering 360+ innings means back to free agency and you are not getting an Anderson value pitcher for $13 million. The other 180 will be cobbled together from the Angels prospects but you are probably not going to see Silseth. Too thin to win a trade.

In Rengifo's case I saw three infield backup positions needing to be filled and he managed to cover all three. Drury is gone, they have Guillorme for one more year of team control but that is pretty much it until you're back to the minors looking for a cubic zirchromium in the rough, there are no diamonds. As Fletcher pointed out, teams looked at his wrist as a red flag and turns out they were right on Macier Rengifo. I still look forward to him being on the roster next season. 

On 8/5/2024 at 9:50 PM, totdprods said:

O’Hoppe is the only guy on the team I wouldn’t even think about trading. You don’t find players with that level of leadership, awareness, clutch often, let alone plus offense, good defense and the fact he is a catcher.

I agree, but I would also put Zach Neto on the list.

Really impressed with what he's doing and how much he is progressing.

~ArkyAngelsFan~

2 hours ago, ArkyAngelsFan said:

I agree, but I would also put Zach Neto on the list.

Really impressed with what he's doing and how much he is progressing.

~ArkyAngelsFan~

The only reason Neto isn’t 100% untouchable is because I think, while it’s still an incredibly difficult position to fill, it’s still easier to find something productive at SS than finding even an average all-around catcher, let alone O’Hoppe’s above-average traits. But yeah, he’s virtually untouchable. Even if offered a ridiculous package it might not still be worth the amount of value lost.

32 minutes ago, totdprods said:

The only reason Neto isn’t 100% untouchable is because I think, while it’s still an incredibly difficult position to fill, it’s still easier to find something productive at SS than finding even an average all-around catcher, let alone O’Hoppe’s above-average traits. But yeah, he’s virtually untouchable. Even if offered a ridiculous package it might not still be worth the amount of value lost.

Gotcha. Hey if you don't mind me asking how did you get your moniker "totdprods"?

~ArkyAngelsFan~

6 hours ago, Blarg said:

I was not on board with trading Anderson or Rengifo simply because of, who are you playing next year?

In Anderson's case the Angels had already lost 180 innings when Sandoval went down. Covering 360+ innings means back to free agency and you are not getting an Anderson value pitcher for $13 million. The other 180 will be cobbled together from the Angels prospects but you are probably not going to see Silseth. Too thin to win a trade.

In Rengifo's case I saw three infield backup positions needing to be filled and he managed to cover all three. Drury is gone, they have Guillorme for one more year of team control but that is pretty much it until you're back to the minors looking for a cubic zirchromium in the rough, there are no diamonds. As Fletcher pointed out, teams looked at his wrist as a red flag and turns out they were right on Macier Rengifo. I still look forward to him being on the roster next season. 

it seems likely that christian moore will be up with the halos next year (or at least given every opportunity to do so), but i think rengifo makes us stronger because he's able to play just about anywhere. 

we'll also need him when rendon inevitably goes on the IL before the end of may. 

1 minute ago, Tank said:

it seems likely that christian moore will be up with the halos next year (or at least given every opportunity to do so), but i think rengifo makes us stronger because he's able to play just about anywhere. 

we'll also need him when rendon inevitably goes on the IL before the end of may. 

Yeah, I hope they explore an extension with Luis this winter…he’s still pretty young, so even signing just a 2-3 year pact (including next year) at $10m-18m annually would line him up to still hit FA at an age where he could bank another $40m-$50m total post-30 if he continues this pace, and it would still be a relatively fair price for the Halos and Rengifo. His utility is just way too valuable for a team this young and thin. 

That said, if he’s a similar player next July and not signed, they can and should still trade him and probably get a solid return. Crossing my fingers that someone between Fontenelle, Mershon, Paris, Stefanic, Placencia or even Lugo can start carving out a similar utility role sometime in 2025.