• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official (2024) Los Angeles Angels Trade Deadline Thread

I love what the Angels did but hate what they couldn’t or didn’t do. 
The team doesn’t have enough depth to trade Ward or Anderson if they weren’t bringing back actual talent that you can rely on to help the team within the next few years. 
I assumed Pillar would be traded not because of the value he would return to the Angels but to give him a chance to play for a contender. 
I thought early on with the prices going for relief pitchers that Strickland might net us a younger Strickland type but apparently not. 
There’s really no value trading these guys if the return is nothing but guys who have to be protected on the 40 man next year and they aren’t really upgrades over what we have on our 40 man.
Anderson has pitched really well for us but soft tossing lefties who limit hard contact aren’t valued by teams looking to make a deep run. @Blarg said something a couple weeks back that Anderson’s 180 innings, especially after Sandoval’s injuries would provide more value than what we could get in a trade for him. At least that’s how I interpreted what he said and while I didn’t agree because I thought he had actual trade value at the time, it turns out to be the case. This team has constantly struggled putting together 1450 innings on the mound. Next year will be the same, but at least we can pretty much count on 180-200 of them from Anderson. 
Overall horribly disappointing that they couldn’t do more. 

7 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

......... It seems Rengifo was the only one who really had any value.

I'm curious as to what level of value Rengifo is to Perry. To me, i've honestly never liked him on the field and I feel like his value is peeking right now, so whatever offers he might have gotten probably won't get any better. 

1: I don't see him as a key piece to the future
2: I'd expect regression next year 

Which makes me believe he was a perfect candidate to be moved. 

At what point does the front office/ownership click the reset button? Is it after 2026 when Rendon's contract is done? Something needs to change because this narrative is getting extremely exhausting.

This goes for the majority of the players. 
Guys like Ward, Rengifo, Sandoval, Adell and Moniak, to me, are not part of getting this team to the next level and it's been obvious year after year.
We aren't developing players as expected, we aren't making major acquisitions but instead keep believing our weak core for the last 5 years will be good, and our stars can't stay healthy. 

Burn it down..... replant the seed..... and let shit grow again....

Edited by angelsnationtalk

I know we all wanted to see this huge reset and all these new names filling our prospect lists but at the end of the day I think we all agreed that we didnt want guys like Anderson, Ward, Renjifo just traded for a bag of peanuts. We all know that these guys have value to our team and if another team isnt willing to pony up the assets to out weigh there benifit to us then Good job Perry. I wasnt in the room or at all conected to any info but based on Jeff's input and the lake of moves I can see this as a win and a plus for Perry to not just do something to do something. .

As far as Strickland and Pillar to be honest what were we going to get from anyone not much when one guy was almost retired to start the year and the other was thrown away by one of the only team with a worse record then us and he doesnt play every day for us even. 

We all tend to look at everything from Perry and Art as a fail and most of it is deserved but maybe this is actually a win by not just doing stuff because and only doing stuff becasue its as Perry said its good for the team 

17 hours ago, samwum said:

Yeah I totally agree with ya. You gotta time the "peak" of your big contracts while you have a group of "unpaid" players who are bigtime.

Look at the Phillies:

They got big money spent on Harper, Turner, Nola, Wheeler, Schwarber, Realmuto, Castellanos. All $20mm+ AAV.

But they also got fuckin' studs getting paid nothing. 

Position Players

• Bohm - All Star
  • Marsh - 3.5 WAR pace
  • Stott - 2.5 WAR pace
  • Hays - 2.5 WAR last year

Pitchers

• Suarez- All Star
  • Sanchez - All Star
  • Hoffman - All Star
  • Strahm - All Star
  • Kerkering - 2.27 ERA
  • Turnbull - 2.65 ERA

The Phillies legitimately have 5 stars, 5 All-Stars making no money, and 5 other everyday really solid players making no money. 

That's not even counting Castellanos, Estevez, etc.

That's like 17 guys who every night you know they're probably going to play well.

What do we have -- like 5?

We need 10 reliable guys who are making no money to support free agent signings.

I tried telling people Dave Dombrowski was the best team builder in MLB, was told he was a farm wrecker.  Phillies farm was in shambles when he got there, he's both improved the farm and built a championship caliber club.  

He never would have come here because of Arte which is a shame, because he's built a winner everywhere he's gone.

6 hours ago, oater said:

After seeing what the Tigers got for Flaherty, I think people are dreaming if they think Anderson would have netted a big return.  And even if Anderson is only a back of the rotation starter next year, the Angels will need him.

Worst return by anyone at the deadline IMO.

1 hour ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I'm curious as to what level of value Rengifo is to Perry. To me, i've honestly never liked him on the field and I feel like his value is peeking right now, so whatever offers he might have gotten probably won't get any better. 

At what point does the front office/ownership click the reset button? Is it after 2026 when Rendon's contract is done? Something needs to change because this narrative is getting extremely exhausting.

This goes for the majority of the players. 
Guys like Ward, Rengifo, Sandoval, Adell and Moniak, to me, are not part of getting this team to the next level and it's been obvious year after year.
We aren't developing players as expected, we aren't making major acquisitions but instead keep believing our weak core for the last 5 years will be good, and our stars can't stay healthy. 

Burn it down..... replant the seed..... and let shit grow again....

Rengifo is 27 years old and has improved each of the last 3 years.  I am not sure what you don’t like about him that isn’t more about his past rather than what he has been the last couple of years.  His OBP has improved the last three years, his slugging is in the .420-440 range.  This year while he doesn’t have as many home runs, he has 24 stolen bases.  He can play passable defense at 3 positions and can play the outfield in a pinch.  Your fear or regression is because of what he was 4 years ago and not what he has matured into being.  Also if 25 year olds like Adell aren’t part of this teams future then again, that is on you and your preference, and not anything related to building a winning team.  

39 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Worst return by anyone at the deadline IMO.

For being called the best SP traded it seemed like a small return right? 

I read Yankees had a deal and pulled out after seeing a medical report on his back, but who knows that could be Yankee PR stuff. 

Dodgers loving those high-end SP with injury risk. 

2 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

You’re doing a great sell job to other GMs.

33 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

For being called the best SP traded it seemed like a small return right? 

I read Yankees had a deal and pulled out after seeing a medical report on his back, but who knows that could be Yankee PR stuff. 

Dodgers loving those high-end SP with injury risk. 

Yankees don't really play games with medicals, so something scared them off.  Reality is the only reason he ended up in Detroit was because he was coming back from ineffectiveness due to an injury.

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yankees don't really play games with medicals, so something scared them off.  Reality is the only reason he ended up in Detroit was because he was coming back from ineffectiveness due to an injury.

with this trade to the dodgers, this is flaherty's fourth team in two seasons.

fwiw.

I was pissed yesterday. But I think it's because I love the thought of new pieces (prospects), and the three not traded players that we were most upset about were Anderson, Rengifo, and Ward. All 3 of those guys are players we are ready to move on from, and the thought of getting a prospect haul for them was exciting. We've run out of patience with Ward and Rengifo, and we know Anderson is an innings eater with bad peripherals. 

However, combining the Flaherty trade, how valuable Rengifo to us as a still possible member of our core, and Ward's awful last 50 games, it's pretty clear we weren't getting an absolute haul for those guys. And there is definitely an element not trading just to trade. The only one I think they should have really traded was Anderson. But with Silseth's injury and Sandoval being gone I think they want to not start Suarez, Fulmer, and Mederos 12 times this year and let the young hitters play in competitive games. 

5 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

I was pissed yesterday. But I think it's because I love the thought of new pieces (prospects), and the three not traded players that we were most upset about were Anderson, Rengifo, and Ward. All 3 of those guys are players we are ready to move on from, and the thought of getting a prospect haul for them was exciting. We've run out of patience with Ward and Rengifo, and we know Anderson is an innings eater with bad peripherals. 

However, combining the Flaherty trade, how valuable Rengifo to us as a still possible member of our core, and Ward's awful last 50 games, it's pretty clear we weren't getting an absolute haul for those guys. And there is definitely an element not trading just to trade. The only one I think they should have really traded was Anderson. But with Silseth's injury and Sandoval being gone I think they want to not start Suarez, Fulmer, and Mederos 12 times this year and let the young hitters play in competitive games. 

Best take

22 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

Exactly. They would have opened three large holes in the lineup while at the same time having to deal with Trout and Rendon injuries and non availability. The result is we are back to rushing prospects to the big club when they aren’t ready. Keeping them gives us some stability and lessens the urgency to call up prospects that may need more seasoning. 

I feel like we have some promising players (especially pitchers) in the system right now. A real rebuild requires development time in the farm system. 

9 hours ago, Stradling said:

I love what the Angels did but hate what they couldn’t or didn’t do. 
The team doesn’t have enough depth to trade Ward or Anderson if they weren’t bringing back actual talent that you can rely on to help the team within the next few years. 

This.

I’ve seen some people suggest the Angels should’ve just dumped Anderson/Rengifo/Ward for whatever they can get, which I think is stupid.

There was some minimum level of value that needed to be there, and I don’t think they got that offered to them.

16 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The narrative from the Angels seemed to be that the offers just weren’t good enough on the guys like Anderson, Rengifo, Ward, so I checked with two guys from other teams and they believed that to be plausible. It seems Rengifo was the only one who really had any value.

I feel like certain buyers locked in on certain players they wanted, and subsequently ended up paying stupid prices for said player.

HOU with Kikuchi, SD with Scott, and even PHI with Estévez.

But if you didn’t have a team lock in on a player like that, there wasn’t the market to get a deal done.

11 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

I definitely Value Pillar on the Angels more than what we could have gotten for him. Dude is like a coach in the clubhouse and the players love him. I would even resign for next year if he was willing to hold off retirement 

I’d like to see Pillar on the ML coaching staff next year.

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

That is paid attendance.   Many are not using their tickets due to the past 8 2/3 losing seasons.

I do wonder what total actual attendance has been in recent years.

yeah l know but Arte still gets the money whether they show up or not. I guess l mean quit buying tickets of all types until Arte sells the team.

22 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Yeah, i'm actually thinking about 2026  by signing Bieber is just common sense. Plus, it frees up money to address other needs in 2025.

Clearly, you didn’t read properly—it’s all there. Rengifo takes over second base, and Ahmed Rosario (yes Ahmed, and I think he might be the only Rosario that's a free agent that would fit the Super ult mold)  handles the super utility role, backing up the infield and corner outfield.

Good for the Yankees! They got a solid regular starter—not a star, but reliable starter that they very much need. Taking a shot with Moncada makes sense too, given the White Sox's terrible culture.

Using just 8 starts to judge Walker's numbers after Tommy John surgery? Smart move. Look at Ohtani's stats right after coming back from TJ. Don’t bring up the following season’s numbers. Players need time to fully recover from TJ, and I bet Buehler will be much better next year. plus it a smart one year deal, no need to worry after that. 

Any fool can see there's risk with any bullpen. Remember Estevez’s second half last year? or the fact the Dodger's BP just blew and lost a game to the Astros and Padres.  No one knows until next year.

Pitching wins games. The Royals won a whole World Series on their pitching (maybe you forgot). So, yes, get some damn pitching instead of acting like a fool and spending on big time position players. 

I think there's minor things we disagree on, but your last line sums everything up for me. Pitching absolutely wins games. Let's go get some!

11 hours ago, Stradling said:

Rengifo is 27 years old and has improved each of the last 3 years.  I am not sure what you don’t like about him that isn’t more about his past rather than what he has been the last couple of years.  His OBP has improved the last three years, his slugging is in the .420-440 range.  This year while he doesn’t have as many home runs, he has 24 stolen bases.  He can play passable defense at 3 positions and can play the outfield in a pinch.  Your fear or regression is because of what he was 4 years ago and not what he has matured into being.  Also if 25 year olds like Adell aren’t part of this teams future then again, that is on you and your preference, and not anything related to building a winning team.  

I love Gifo -- but he hadn't shown he can hit right handed pitching until this year.

It would be a big bet for a team to throw out his history and say he's figured out righties for good.

If he hasn't figured out righties for good and is just getting lucky -- then he is just a platoon utility guy.

But if he can hit righties he's a solid everyday player.

Ability to hit righties is the variable in evaluating him.

4 hours ago, BTH said:

I feel like certain buyers locked in on certain players they wanted, and subsequently ended up paying stupid prices for said player.

HOU with Kikuchi, SD with Scott, and even PHI with Estévez.

But if you didn’t have a team lock in on a player like that, there wasn’t the market to get a deal done.

This is actually a valuable point. 

Kikuchi and Scott have terrific peripherals. 

Meanwhile our guys, specifically Anderson and Rengifo, have pretty iffy peripherals.

To me I think this explains the "locked on" effect you're referring to. 

A lot of baseball moves probably don't make sense until you look under the hood.

Teams bet on peripherals.

I heard that Wayne mentioned on the broadcast tonight that Rengifo’s injury may have been another reason the offers weren’t great for him. I hadn’t really thought of that but it’s probably true. 

A wrist injury can be scary. Even if he doesn’t hurt it again, you don’t know he’s going to perform. And he’d just barely come back. 

The Yankees seemed like the best fit for Rengifo, since they got Chisholm, and you can see how they would have begun to focus on Jazz while unsure of Rengifo’s status.