• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official (2024) Los Angeles Angels Trade Deadline Thread

3 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Okay, I deleted the Trout/Rendon and CoVid post.

The question remains though.   How is it that two former superstar players on the same team get injured all the time over the past 4 years?

They're at the age where players start to break down. 

Trout has been injury prone for years, so seeing him like this shouldn't be too surprising. He went all-out since High School and his body did what the human body does. 

Rendon is just broken. His hand-eye coordination is still there but his body disagrees. 

12 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

They're at the age where players start to break down. 

Trout has been injury prone for years, so seeing him like this shouldn't be too surprising. He went all-out since High School and his body did what the human body does. 

Rendon is just broken. His hand-eye coordination is still there but his body disagrees. 

Griffey Jr. was a regular for the M’s at 19, and still averaged 122 games in the same age years as Trout’s 2021-2024 seasons.

In fact in his same age years as Trout’s 2021-2023 seasons, Griffey Jr. averaged 139 games.

And Griffey Jr. played on turf half the time for the first half of his career.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

Griffey Jr. was a regular for the M’s at 19, and still averaged 122 games in the same age years as Trout’s 2021-2024.

Griffey at age 31-34 was absolutely not healthy. He had a full season at age 30, and it wasn't until age 37 when he had another.

3 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Griffey at age 31-34 was absolutely not healthy. He had a full season at age 30, and it wasn't until age 37 when he had another.

Trout was only ages 29-32 for much of 2021-2024.   At ages 29-31, Griffey Jr. averaged 139 games played.

Edited by Angel Oracle

28 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

If you plan to contend in 2025, please tell us how the heck you are doing that with this team and the lack of depth in the minors?

I don’t necessarily think they are planning to contend in 2025…I think they’re banking on it starting to coalesce mid-2025 and they ride some momentum to maybe finishing over .500 and offering it as proof things are changing.

We didn’t have much luck in free agency this last winter, maybe it was Arte being cheap, maybe it was because of the broadcast/stadium ambiguity, maybe it was Ohtani holding things up or an Ohtani hangover, maybe folks just didn’t want to sign here. I do think there’s a chance - a chance - this winter could be a little different. The kids are playing well enough and will have enough experience now that some FAs might buy into there being a bit of a youth movement here. Ron still seems to be popular amongst players. I even think they’ve probably cultivated a little bit of player goodwill back into their favor by revitalizing Pillar and Strickland. Moore wanted to come back here. Estévez seemed truly bummed to be leaving and interested in returning. As foolish as it was to buy last year and hold this year, it is a still a bit of a statement to your players that you’re committed to them. Arte or Perry or the next GM need to back that up of course.
But I think there are glimmers of hope that the culture is shifting, maybe enough that it’ll be a little easier to attract a FA or two.

I’m not expecting Corbin Burnes or Juan Soto. I’m not even advocating that spending or free agents will be the answer. But I do think we have a good offense already in place for 2025, especially after keeping Ward and Rengifo. Trout and Rendon will be massive question marks - they’re honestly probably our weakest points offensively now. The rotation is, presently, a mess. I don’t think you can count on Anderson to be this good again, but hopefully he isn’t 2023 bad. Canning, for all his troubles, has still pitched like a consistent #4-5. Soriano is great. Detmers is not an 8.00 ERA pitcher, and I’m confident he will come back and be at least a workhorse #3-4. Its very likely we see Dana, Aldegheri and Bachman angling for rotation slots right out of ST, and personally I believe any one of them could be at least an average SP in their rookie year - daresay Dana could be more. The bullpen is also presently a mess, but Joyce is starting to make a believer out of me.  I think we have something in Crouse. They really need a couple more young arms to emerge this year for me to feel even remotely positive here, but we have more good, young prospect relief depth to audition than I can remember us having in over a decade.

A winter shopping list doesn’t need to be that lengthy. Signing a mid-tier FA SP, a vet RP or two (heck bring back Strickland and Estévez), and maybe a reasonable vet bat or two that rounds out the bench and supplements DH (Profar? Rosario? Kepler?), good health and continued steps forward from Neto, Soriano, O’Hoppe, one of Adell/Moniak, Joyce and any of Dana, Moore, Cortez, Lugo or Aldegheri could really get things going.

Edited by totdprods

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Trout was only ages 29-32 for much of 2021-2024.   At ages 29-31, Griffey Jr. averaged 139 games played.

I'm not sure what you're comparing here. You're trying to imply something that isn't there. 

Griffey broke down in his early 30's. Trout has done the same.

It doesn't have to be exactly the same (the Griffey-Trout comp) to be very similar. Several years ago I wrote a post considering what sort of career Trout might have going forward. The high-end was a non-roid Bonds or Mays, the low-end was Griffey or Pujols. Meaning, Griffey was a worst-case scenario. His body completely broke down, he lost his legs and couldn't run - his defense was crappy, and he had a hard time staying healthy. When he did, he hit pretty well, and even put together a pretty nice season (with the bat) at age 35.

Trout could do the same. But the problem, and here's where he's different than Griffey, his body doesn't heal properly. Every injury basically takes him out for the year - in 2021, 2022, 2023, and it is looking like 2024. Something is off, whether it is just his body type, his training, or something else. It is rare, but it happens. It just almost never happens to players as good as Trout was. He's literally having the worst 30+ phase of any player comparably as great.

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

Basing it on nothing other than my own Arte driven cynicism, I take this to mean Minasian knows the money won't be there to sign replacements for any of the three guys signed through 2025 and his best shot at even playing .500 ball next year was to keep them.  People can talk about rebuilding all they want, Arte is on record.... Something something, not in our DNA.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Basing it on nothing other than my own Arte driven cynicism, I take this to mean Minasian knows the money won't be there to sign replacements for any of the three guys signed through 2025 and his best shot at even playing .500 ball next year was to keep them.  People can talk about rebuilding all they want, Arte is on record.... Something something, not in our DNA.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS 

11 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

LOYA27Y

31 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I don’t necessarily think they are planning to contend in 2025…I think they’re banking on it starting to coalesce mid-2025 and they ride some momentum to maybe finishing over .500 and offering it as proof things are changing.

We didn’t have much luck in free agency this last winter, maybe it was Arte being cheap, maybe it was because of the broadcast/stadium ambiguity, maybe it was Ohtani holding things up or an Ohtani hangover, maybe folks just didn’t want to sign here. I do think there’s a chance - a chance - this winter could be a little different. The kids are playing well enough and will have enough experience now that some FAs might buy into there being a bit of a youth movement here. Ron still seems to be popular amongst players. I even think they’ve probably cultivated a little bit of player goodwill back into their favor by revitalizing Pillar and Strickland. Moore wanted to come back here. Estévez seemed truly bummed to be leaving and interested in returning. As foolish as it was to buy last year and hold this year, it is a still a bit of a statement to your players that you’re committed to them. Arte or Perry or the next GM need to back that up of course.
But I think there are glimmers of hope that the culture is shifting, maybe enough that it’ll be a little easier to attract a FA or two.

I’m not expecting Corbin Burnes or Juan Soto. I’m not even advocating that spending or free agents will be the answer. But I do think we have a good offense already in place for 2025, especially after keeping Ward and Rengifo. Trout and Rendon will be massive question marks - they’re honestly probably our weakest points offensively now. The rotation is, presently, a mess. I don’t think you can count on Anderson to be this good again, but hopefully he isn’t 2023 bad. Canning, for all his troubles, has still pitched like a consistent #4-5. Soriano is great. Detmers is not an 8.00 ERA pitcher, and I’m confident he will come back and be at least a workhorse #3-4. Its very likely we see Dana, Aldegheri and Bachman angling for rotation slots right out of ST, and personally I believe any one of them could be at least an average SP in their rookie year - daresay Dana could be more. The bullpen is also presently a mess, but Joyce is starting to make a believer out of me.  I think we have something in Crouse. They really need a couple more young arms to emerge this year for me to feel even remotely positive here, but we have more good, young prospect relief depth to audition than I can remember us having in over a decade.

A winter shopping list doesn’t need to be that lengthy. Signing a mid-tier FA SP, a vet RP or two (heck bring back Strickland and Estévez), and maybe a reasonable vet bat or two that rounds out the bench and supplements DH (Profar? Rosario? Kepler?), good health and continued steps forward from Neto, Soriano, O’Hoppe, one of Adell/Moniak, Joyce and any of Dana, Moore, Cortez, Lugo or Aldegheri could really get things going.

They won’t sign shit let’s be honest. 

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I have to disagree; I actually think the upcoming free agency is significant. Starting off, there's Burnes. Given the direction Arte is trying to take, even if we clear house and trade away TA and Ward, Burnes is essential to setting us on the right path. There aren't many big-name pitchers in his tier available often, and I'd rather have a sure thing than try to develop the next ace. Burnes is going to be expensive, likely in the $30-36 million per year range, but it's a risk worth taking. Yes, there are questions about why he would leave the Os, but money plays a big role. As a Scott Boras client, he's almost certain to test the waters in free agency. Similar to how Rendon signed here, Pujols signed here, Hamilton, Trout, they are reason for him to sign here.

But besides all of this, we got to keep both him and trout healthy and able to compete at that high level we need them.  

For me unless canning show improvements, he's a dfa candidate. 

Goal would be to  fill the #1 and $4 spot in the starting  rotation in free agency, Sign one more outfield bat.  

21 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Someone else will be here next season let them figure it out.

9 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I have to disagree; I actually think the upcoming free agency is significant. Starting off, there's Burnes. Given the direction Arte is trying to take, even if we clear house and trade away TA and Ward, Burnes is essential to setting us on the right path. There aren't many big-name pitchers in his tier available often, and I'd rather have a sure thing than try to develop the next ace. Burnes is going to be expensive, likely in the $30-36 million per year range, but it's a risk worth taking. Yes, there are questions about why he would leave the Brewers, but money plays a big role. As a Scott Boras client, he's almost certain to test the waters in free agency. Similar to how Rendon signed here, Pujols signed here, Hamilton, Trout, they are reason for him to sign here.

But besides all of this, we got to keep both him and trout healthy and able to compete at that high level we need them.  

For me unless canning show improvements, he's a dfa candidate. 

Goal would be to  fill the #1 and $4 spot in the starting  rotation in free agency, Sign one more outfield bat.  

Dude, no offense, but you really piled on the BS here. Going in reverse, no plan of the Angels should include keeping "both (Rendon) and Trout healthy." Both have done little to nothing for four years now, and are now 34 and 33, respectively. Anything the Angels get from them from here on out should be viewed as a pleasant surprise - a bonus, not a building block. Neither of them can be relied upon for anything, at this point.

Secondly, not only is risking another mega-contract the last thing the Angels should do at this point in time, I cannot imagine why Burnes would want to play for the Angels. SoCal weather, sure, but there are literally 20 other teams (or more) that most players would rather play for. Burnes won't be an Angel, and if your justification for thinking it could happen is big money, you're talking spending like $5M+ per year and probably +2 years more than anyone else just to make him pause and think about it, and literally no mega-contract has worked out at all well for the Angels. 

Edited by Angelsjunky