• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official (2024) Los Angeles Angels Trade Deadline Thread

Unless the White Sox see something promising in the return for Fedde, Pham, and Kopech, the trade seems quite lackluster. Perhaps they are banking on Vargas to figure things out.It could also indicate that the starting pitching market isn't as strong as the relief pitching market.

Mentioned earlier…Detmers to STL makes a lot of sense. He’s from there, grew up a Cards fan, his dad was in their system. Donovan, Burleson, Walker and Carlson all would be of use here, the latter two especially needing a change of scenery perhaps, and Carlson is from CA I believe.

Cardinals rotation is old. Could see the Halos even getting one of their vet guys back to help eat innings or replace Anderson (Matz), plus a young bat, plus a prospect still. 

Detmer's no-hitter is a 'wow' factor that other tradable pitchers on the market now don't have. 

Even if it was just a fluke, he still did it, surviving the pressure of the situation. And he has had enough good games in the majors to tempt another organization to take a gamble on him. 

Obviously he's going through a slump and loss of confidence. But he's young enough to get back on track with smart coaching and proper adjustments. Given some patience. Maybe not for this season, but in a new organization he can be put on a longer term plan and start fresh next year. And a new organization and pitching instructors could boost his confidence. 

For the Angels, how do they act? He is an asset to some degree. Very possibly he could find his form and be back in the rotation for next season. But if they are made a good offer I think they have to think about dealing him. The team has multiple needs. A deal for a couple of legitimate prospects would be fair. 

It would be an admission of organizational failure giving up on him, but you have to look forward not back. 

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Mentioned earlier…Detmers to STL makes a lot of sense. He’s from there, grew up a Cards fan, his dad was in their system. Donovan, Burleson, Walker and Carlson all would be of use here, the latter two especially needing a change of scenery perhaps, and Carlson is from CA I believe.

Cardinals rotation is old. Could see the Halos even getting one of their vet guys back to help eat innings or replace Anderson (Matz), plus a young bat, plus a prospect still. 

I wouldn’t mind walker, but isn’t he essentially adell? 

7 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

Detmer's no-hitter is a 'wow' factor that other tradable pitchers on the market now don't have. 

Even if it was just a fluke, he still did it, surviving the pressure of the situation. And he has had enough good games in the majors to tempt another organization to take a gamble on him. 

Obviously he's going through a slump and loss of confidence. But he's young enough to get back on track with smart coaching and proper adjustments. Given some patience. Maybe not for this season, but in a new organization he can be put on a longer term plan and start fresh next year. And a new organization and pitching instructors could boost his confidence. 

For the Angels, how do they act? He is an asset to some degree. Very possibly he could find his form and be back in the rotation for next season. But if they are made a good offer I think they have to think about dealing him. The team has multiple needs. A deal for a couple of legitimate prospects would be fair. 

It would be an admission of organizational failure giving up on him, but you have to look forward not back. 

I believe in Detmers way more than I ever did Sandoval, so I never went this way when I was harping on about trading Sandoval before he wound injured or proved to never be effective, but it’s the same methodology.

The Angels really need to sell off a guy here and there at peak value. They’ve needed to do that for over a decade. Calhoun. Richards. Heaney. They didn’t have to necessary tear it all down and rebuild, but if they got to a point where they could safely deal away a guy with club control every 1-2 years it would’ve gone a long way to keeping the farm a little more stocked. For that reason, it makes sense here.  There’s also probably something about Detmers that is giving them some doubt. Not making a change they hoped. Not seeing something return in the data. Maybe they’re worried his elbow will go in the next 3 years. I said it about Sandoval and it applies here - it’s exceedingly rare for a team to have a SP be healthy all years of club control. Detmers has been so far. That doesn’t mean it will happen, but maybe it’s time to hedge our bets.

Thinking about it…a Canning for Matz/Mikolas/Lynn and Carlson would work pretty well.

Cards get younger and shed some money. Canning and Carlson are close to equal value.

Angels get a Ward replacement and an Anderson replacement. Now you can move either and hopefully plug in a new SP prospect or two from those deals to replace Canning.

Could probably get recently DFAed Giovanny Gallegos back too, throw him in the pen and see what happens.

Edited by totdprods

28 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Dylan Carlson has gotten worse three years running ... his hard hit% is down to 20% this year, his GB% is right around 40%, his K% is over 25% again, and his exit velocities are down to 85 MPH.. He's like a chubby David Fletcher.  The dude fluked his way to a solid 2021 season but has been steadily regressing since then -- and that's not saying much because he really never hit in the minors outside of his stay in Springfield where everyone hits.

God help us if the Angels are actually interested in him.  He's someone you pick up off the discard pile.

11 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Thinking about it…a Canning for Matz/Mikolas/Lynn and Carlson would work pretty well.

Cards get younger and shed some money. Canning and Carlson are close to equal value.

Angels get a Ward replacement and an Anderson replacement. Now you can move either and hopefully plug in a new SP prospect or two from those deals to replace Canning.

Could probably get recently DFAed Giovanny Gallegos back too, throw him in the pen and see what happens.

Interesting trade, I wonder if we take on Matz salary for next year and add a top 15 prospect from there system?

Something like; 

Canning for Matz, plus 12.5 mil for next season, Carslon, Honeyman/ Cho. 

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

Dylan Carlson has gotten worse three years running ... his hard hit% is down to 20% this year, his GB% is right around 40%, his K% is over 25% again, and his exit velocities are down to 85 MPH.. He's like a chubby David Fletcher.  The dude fluked his way to a solid 2021 season but has been steadily regressing since then -- and that's not saying much because he really never hit in the minors outside of his stay in Springfield where everyone hits.

God help us if the Angels are actually interested in him.  He's someone you pick up off the discard pile.

Yep!  And I don't really buy into the "he's from here" aspect of any player.  That has zero value as far as I'm concerned.

5 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yep!  And I don't really buy into the "he's from here" aspect of any player.  That has zero value as far as I'm concerned.

It might have a little value with certain players but a professional player wants to maximize his potential--playing time, financial, coaching/front office you are comfortable with...if team X is near your home but is basically a train wreck, a pro isn't going to go for that, unless the dollars are ridiculous.  

16 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Interesting trade, I wonder if we take on Matz salary for next year and add a top 15 prospect from there system?

Something like; 

Canning for Matz, plus 12.5 mil for next season, Carslon, Honeyman/ Cho. 

Maybe. I see it less about the players/talent and more about filling needs. Pure change of scenery, ‘trash’ for ‘trash’. It’s would help the Angels facilitate other, more important and impactful trades. Carlson is probably a worst-case scenario/floor for Ward. Matz is probably a worst-case scenario Tyler Anderson (they’re pretty comparable actually).

St. Louis doesn’t really need either of them. Now you can trade Anderson and Ward and not have to rush any prospects, and by having both of them plugged in for 2025, you at least can feel you’ve got a comparable team that you do now. 

Cards get a cheapish project arm to toy with and salary relief. Angels similarly get Matz who maybe they can transform into Anderson 2.0 and deal him next year. Maybe Carlson is nothing, maybe he’s Moniak 2.0, maybe he’s cut next year, but all it really cost the Angels was Canning. With him out of the rotation, easier to get more young SP prospects innings - especially if we pick up a couple when we deal Ward and Anderson elsewhere.

Edited by totdprods

10 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Came up time and time again with Moniak.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2023-07-24/angels-mickey-moniak-fulfilling-promise

Since Moniak started playing an hour from home, his family usually sits in the second-to-last row in section 209 at Angel Stadium. 

A while back, Matt said, former Angels player and longtime manager Bobby Valentine came to a game and sat in the row directly behind them. The two men struck up a conversation — Valentine telling Moniak’s father how happy he was for his son’s success.

“I almost got all teary — I’m like, ‘It’s been a long hill, Bobby,’ ” Matt said. “He’s like, ‘I know.’ ”

The numbers were never really there through six years in Philadelphia, through mechanical tweaks Moniak felt “didn’t work out” with his ability to cover offspeed pitches. After he finally made the opening day roster last season, he broke his hand.

“His demeanor never changed,” Machado said, mentioning that Moniak comes back to Encinitas in the offseasons to work out multiple times a week. “He was always rock-solid. He knew that eventually it was gonna happen for him — just being [the first pick], they expected now. And he understood that it didn’t have to be that.”

A change of scenery, Moniak felt, made sense for both parties. Working with Angels hitting coaches Phil Plantier and Marcus Thames in the offseason has helped him load into his left hip better at the plate, opening his stance for better fastball coverage and adjustment to offspeed pitches.”

It’s not always a factor, it’s not a huge factor, but it’s also not not a factor, IMO. Carlson also a first rounder I think. Only 25. These dudes are young. Coming back to familiar turf and coaches and people and places that helped them find success pre-draft can make a difference.

Edited by totdprods

More I think about it, the more I don’t think Anderson will be dealt, even if it’s the right thing to do. Angels would find a way to screw it up. Most teams probably view Anderson as a back end starter, and a long reliever, come playoffs. His salary, it’s more of a break even. Most buyers aren’t looking for study back end help, they are looking for impact arms. 

And that sucks. The Angels need to trade him at his high point which is right now. But again, other organizations feel the Angels will find a way to fail. That’s a terrible spot to be in and it makes me question what sort of relationship the Angels FO has with other organizations. Evidently, the Phillies and Braves, two very successful, very intelligent organizations have a solid rapport with Perry, so it can’t be all bad. Or else, perhaps they feel they can take advantage of the relative backwardness of the organization comparatively.

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

It’s strange, I’m actually becoming more old school in my own preferences. Pitchers need to stop throwing so damn hard and start locating. Hitters need to stop worrying about how far the ball goes and focus more on where the ball goes. And with Rada’s defensive abilities, I think he’ll be just fine. He might only hit .250, but if he’s able to get on base 35% of the time, he’d be golden. We’ll see.

Yep, I hear that and feel similarly. 

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I posted it elsewhere but he reminds me a bit of Steven Kwan. That’s obviously probably more of a best-case scenario. Ben Revere maybe more of a realistic ‘good’ outcome. 

But when Steven Kwan was 18 he wasn’t in AA, he was at Oregon State on the bench with an OPS in the .500s. 

I think worst-case scenario Rada will be a good 4th OF/PH/PR type. Orlando Palmeiro…just hope he also has Palmeiro’s knack for clutch hits. Rada already has better defense and speed.

And even if that’s not an exciting outcome, it’s something we sorely need. The Angels will only succeed when they’re able to repeatedly develop not just everyday players, but league average role-players and UT IFs and 4th OFs and #6 SPs.

Orlando Palmeiro was sort of the OF verison of Maicer Izturis..or maybe Maicer was the IF version of Orlando? Wait, is this racist?

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I wouldn’t mind taking a flyer on Nestor. He’s pretty similar to Sandoval but we need guys that can eat innings this year/next and he’s under control for next year. Interesting to see where he lands