• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official (2024) Los Angeles Angels Trade Deadline Thread

7 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Because they are a truly terrible team with a mediocre-at-best farm system.  He's controllable through 2026, so at best, they'd maybe be back on track by his last year of control.  In theory, trading him for multiple prospects with more years of control would have more of a long-term impact than keeping him would.

Sounds familiar

According to Passon, Anderson could be one of the most sought-after pitchers. In contrast, for Ward and Adell, Perry is seeking a substantial package in return. This implies that Anderson will likely have a strong market and is very likely to be traded. Meanwhile, the chances of Ward and Adell being traded are low unless the right package is offered.

I think Anderson will be gone, and hopefully, we can get a solid return. I don't believe the bullpen arms will fetch much, and Drury has zero value.

We should trade Anderson for one or two prospects who are close to MLB-ready. Assess Ward's trade market, and if a team is willing to offer two top 100 prospects, pull the trigger; if not, hold on to him. Try to sign Rengifo to a five-year extension worth $60-70 million. Keep Canning and Sandy unless an offer comes in that we can't refuse. Then, prepare for the next off-season. Hopefully, we can also land a top-five pick.

Anderson could fetch us 1 top 100 prospect, another 10-20 range, and maybe a 20-30 range for him. 

While for Ward: I would ask for 2 top 100, and a 15-25 range.

29 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

According to Passon, Anderson could be one of the most sought-after pitchers. In contrast, for Ward and Adell, Perry is seeking a substantial package in return. This implies that Anderson will likely have a strong market and is very likely to be traded. Meanwhile, the chances of Ward and Adell being traded are low unless the right package is offered.

I think Anderson will be gone, and hopefully, we can get a solid return. I don't believe the bullpen arms will fetch much, and Drury has zero value.

We should trade Anderson for one or two prospects who are close to MLB-ready. Assess Ward's trade market, and if a team is willing to offer two top 100 prospects, pull the trigger; if not, hold on to him. Try to sign Rengifo to a five-year extension worth $60-70 million. Keep Canning and Sandy unless an offer comes in that we can't refuse. Then, prepare for the next off-season. Hopefully, we can also land a top-five pick.

Anderson could fetch us 1 top 100 prospect, another 10-20 range, and maybe a 20-30 range for him. 

While for Ward: I would ask for 2 top 100, and a 15-25 range.

For the bullpen guys, I would try to get bullpen prospects. I could see our pen next season with guys that all have options.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, greginpsca said:

For the bullpen guys, I would try to get bullpen prospects. I could see our pen next season with guys that all have options.

Agreed, though I would actually stock the pen with at least some vets on one-year deals again. DFA/deadline deal away as 2025 goes on and pull up from the optionable pool as needed.

Edited by totdprods

19 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Sad when GM needs permission from owner on deals. I also wonder if Angels would trade with Dodgers. Ward and Rengifo could interest them.

I believe about 3 years ago Rengifo was going to be traded to the Dodgers for Joc a pitcher and a good Prospect but Arte Botched that trade 

18 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Sad when GM needs permission from owner on deals. I also wonder if Angels would trade with Dodgers. Ward and Rengifo could interest them.

All GMs need ownership approval. Arte simply expects more involvement and more approval which has been detrimental to the team. I get why he didn’t trade Ohtani but in hindsight it was an awful decision. 

Just now, Ron Mexico said:

I believe about 3 years ago Rengifo was going to be traded to the Dodgers for Joc a pitcher and a good Prospect but Arte Botched that trade 

It would have been an awful trade. It was Ward and Rengifo for Stripling, Joc and Pages. Joc has been a free agent 3 times since then and is a strong side platoon DH and Stripling has a 5 ERA since then.  Pages would be nice to have but that 50/5 strike out to walk ratio is Moniak bad. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

It would have been an awful trade. It was Ward and Rengifo for Stripling, Joc and Pages. Joc has been a free agent 3 times since then and is a strong side platoon DH and Stripling has a 5 ERA since then.  Pages would be nice to have but that 50/5 strike out to walk ratio is Moniak bad. 

That in hindsight was maybe the best Arte meddling ever.

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

All GMs need ownership approval. Arte simply expects more involvement and more approval which has been detrimental to the team. I get why he didn’t trade Ohtani but in hindsight it was an awful decision. 

So why, in your opinion, didn't Arte trade Ohtani when he had the chance?

~ArkyAngelsFan~

Just now, ArkyAngelsFan said:

So why, in your opinion, didn't Arte trade Ohtani when he had the chance?

~ArkyAngelsFan~

Because they were 1/2 game from a wild card spot and the team hadn’t sniffed the playoffs with Ohtani. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Yep but fans still blame him for it. 

His meddling in the Dodger trade had nothing to with any wise baseball, business or organizational astuteness but stemmed from his impatience to complete the trade.  His overall record with meddling appears to be pretty bad. His organizational acumen, since Stoneman, has been terrible. But if you want to give him an attaboy because he lucked into one good result, have at it. 

27 minutes ago, DMVol said:

His meddling in the Dodger trade had nothing to with any wise baseball, business or organizational astuteness but stemmed from his impatience to complete the trade.  His overall record with meddling appears to be pretty bad. His organizational acumen, since Stoneman, has been terrible. But if you want to give him an attaboy because he lucked into one good result, have at it. 

Thanks. He deserves all the blame.  But the meddling here worked out. You want to blame him for a net positive go for it. You are entitled to rather have Pages than Rengifo and Ward. I wouldn’t choose that but you are free to. 

28 minutes ago, DMVol said:

💯

18 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Thanks. He deserves all the blame.  But the meddling here worked out. You want to blame him for a net positive go for it. You are entitled to rather have Pages than Rengifo and Ward. I wouldn’t choose that but you are free to. 

It’s a bad process that wound up with a good result.

That same bad process has led to many more bad decisions.

In totality, I’d prefer the better process (him not meddling) which would prevent those many bad decisions.

59 minutes ago, Stradling said:

And yet it’s a good thing the trade wasn’t made. 

Sure…no question…and no, I never said I’d rather have Pederson, Stripling and Pages…That’s dumb……We can agree that the result was good while recognizing that the reason (impatience) wasn’t optimal. They aren’t mutually exclusive.

Posted (edited)

Moreno needs to stop thinking he can effectively evaluate talent.

That’s what POBO/GMs are hired to do.

The fact that no solid FA pitcher has been signed since CJ Wilson 12.5 years ago, is a head scratcher.  Seems to back my thoughts that he only wants the big sluggers, thinking it brings in plenty of fans.  Of course, none of those have worked out since Vlad Sr.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I guess the quote was this:

“As Arte starts to get more and more excited by the ideas of flashy free agent signings, from (Bartolo) Colon to (Vladimir) Guerrero and leading to everybody since, there was just a shift in spending behavior or how the money was allocated.”

Weird how Colon won a Cy Young, Wilson was solid, and then he just stopped spending big money on pitchers.

https://www.ocregister.com/2022/11/28/farm-failures-how-the-angels-player-development-system-broke-and-the-plan-to-repair-it/

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

Sure…no question…and no, I never said I’d rather have Pederson, Stripling and Pages…That’s dumb……We can agree that the result was good while recognizing that the reason (impatience) wasn’t optimal. They aren’t mutually exclusive.

Right.  

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Would it be better for Angels to wait until trade deadline. Maybe more teams willing to trade then. White Sox open to trading now.

The vet FAs with expiring deals are probably open game now…I can understand Arte/Perry hesitating on the controlled guys still. I don’t think it’s because they necessarily feel like they’re in it, but because they don’t want to sell too soon and punt 2025 also.

The pitching has not really been terrible for the last month-plus, and some of the hitters are still showing signs of encouragement. Just need Trout, Sano, Drury and it could be a lot different at this point.

I think ultimately they will deal at least one controlled guy this July.

Edited by totdprods