• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official (2024) Los Angeles Angels Trade Deadline Thread

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Think I’d rather keep Ward and Rengifo than try to scrape something from KC. Not a good farm, not much success with their guys panning out lately either.

I would not shed a tear if Minasian traded away Ward. Rengifo has too much infield versatility that they would need two infielders to replace him.

12 minutes ago, Blarg said:

If only one does the Angels won the trade.

From a value standpoint, they may have already won. It’s no secret the organization has been hurting for pitching prospects depth for quite some time, too the point where they’re taking their relievers and trying to go 4 innings with them. This trade creates a small degree of depth that could allow the organization to use a smarter developmental timeline for the right prospects. 

Depth has value.

43 minutes ago, Second Base said:

From a value standpoint, they may have already won. It’s no secret the organization has been hurting for pitching prospects depth for quite some time, too the point where they’re taking their relievers and trying to go 4 innings with them. This trade creates a small degree of depth that could allow the organization to use a smarter developmental timeline for the right prospects. 

Depth has value.

That was the exact same point I was raising in another thread about how the Angels won the Tony Watson trade btw. Getting an up-and-down MLB reliever in Jose Marte, some MLB innings from Sam Selman and an actual possible prospect in Ivan Armstrong for million-dollar Tony Watson’s last two MLB months was a win simply from the depth it added.

Perry is good at selling.

Edited by totdprods

sounds like we got a good haul for estevez. i hope at least one of them pans out. 

would love for him to sign with us in the winter, but after playing with this phillies team, he's going to have a hard time coming back to the angels (though i hope he's interested enough to do so). 

52 minutes ago, totdprods said:

That was the exact same point I was raising in another thread about how the Angels won the Tony Watson trade btw. Getting an up-and-down MLB reliever in Jose Marte, some MLB innings from Sam Selman and an actual possible prospect in Ivan Armstrong for million-dollar Tony Watson’s last two MLB months was a win simply from the depth it added.

Perry is good at selling.

I wouldn’t say he’s good at selling as much as he’s good at prospects. He’s an outstanding scout which is why I believe he’d be an incredible scouting director. I don’t think he makes very good decisions on when to sell and when not to sell, but again, some of that might be Arte.

Like I don’t trust him to make the right call and trade Anderson and Rengifo, because he should’ve traded Ohtani last trade deadline and Ward last winter, and he failed to do so and it has set the organization back. But if he does make the right call and trades Rengifo and Anderson, I feel very confident that he would identify the best possible prospect package that would help the franchise.

I want to keep Rengifo but i trust Perry to get value back in trades. Trade Rengifo and TA. This farm quickly becomes a “good not great farm system” but certainly not a bottom 3 one. Then trade Garcia, Drury, Ward and Pillar for best prospect you can get or fringe 40 man guys that can eat some innings to finish the year off that have a smidge of upside.

cmon brewers/cardinals pony up for TA!!!

Sorry if already posted but from Jim Bowden this morning:

Luis Garcia, RHP, Angels — The Angels have a trade in place for Garcia that they like. It’s just a matter of when they want to close the deal and make the announcement, but he’s gone.

Tyler Anderson, LHP, Angels — The Angels are listening on Anderson, who is signed through next year. They don’t have to trade the 34-year-old but would like to take advantage of his strong season (2.96 ERA in 21 starts) and turn him into a couple of prospects to help them in the future.

Griffin Canning, RHP, Angels — While it was rumored the Angels would move starter Reid Detmers, that isn’t likely, but they have been shopping Canning as well as Anderson to teams in need of starting pitchers.

Luis Rengifo, 2B, Angels — The Angels aren’t looking to move Rengifo but are listening to teams that call. Entering Saturday, the underrated veteran was slashing .308/.352/.432 with a 118 OPS+. He’s been worth 1.7 WAR, according to Baseball Reference. His ability to play all over the infield and his additional year of team control increase his trade value.

Taylor Ward, RF, Angels — The Angels don’t have to trade Ward, who has hit 15 home runs with 47 RBIs, but they have listened when teams like the Braves and Mariners have texted them. Ward has slashed only .154/.230/.218 in July. He’s under team control through 2026.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5662579/2024/07/28/mlb-trade-deadline-2024-storylines-players-rumors/

The Garcia thing tracks with what Fletch told us. If Perry gets a SP prospect for him then holy balls. 

I knew about Canning from what IP had posted. I'm sure we could trade both, but the Angels might not want to.

Nothing really new or interesting about the others. I'd certainly hope Perry is taking a passive approach with those guys. But we can't just trade Estevez and Garcia and call it a day. One of Anderson/Ward should absolutely be traded, along with any other random ass relievers.

2 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

I would love to get a 3rd base prospect out of this deadline 

Very thin position unfortunately, but there are some decent guys we might match with (gay).

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

I would love to get a 3rd base prospect out of this deadline 

Same. The closest 3rd base prospect we have that I’m aware of is Fontenelle but he had just a month or two of strong performance prior to breaking his leg. I’d be fine extending Rengifo and leaving him at 3rd until we develop a 3rd baseman. 

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Think I read something by Rhett Bollinger that the Angels were only going to trade Pillar if it was a place he wanted to go to.

I’m fine with that. He is going to bring back someone who has to be on the 40 man next year who is probably a relief pitcher who walks a ton of people but has good stuff.