• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official (2024) Los Angeles Angels Trade Deadline Thread

10 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Rebuild is what this team needs. Talking about 3 to 4 years from being a contender. Angels do not have many assets to trade to get much back. Will see what happens at deadline. Have a GM who might not be here next year so who knows what direction Angels taking. Right now going into 2025 looks very bleak with pitching staff. If Anderson (he should be) is traded only have Soriano as starter and in BP Joyce. Position players halos to me have 4 decent young players so many holes to fill in 2025. We all know by not trading Ohtani is what really set this team back. The positive side the growth of O'Hoppe, Neto and even Schanuel shows some sign of hope. 

A rebuild is what you’re seeing, just not in the traditional way we are accustomed , obviously due to a lack of talent in minors. Perry trying to build young talent at major league level. Moore will be up in September or sooner unless he struggles. Bullpen by August will be a tryout of minor leaguers for next year. Love watching the youngsters. I think Ron has the youngsters working and improving.
If trades can bring us an outfielder maybe third base and some more pitching. We will be watching a team come together over the next two years. 
Might need a few Lorenzen type pitchers to fill out the starters next year. Ha

An interesting name has emerged in trade discussions: Jameson Taillon. It appears the Cubs might be looking to offload his contract and see what's available on the market. This got me thinking: how about an Anderson + Estévez trade for Taillon (including his entire contract) and two top prospects? The feasibility of this deal would depend on how badly the Cubs want to shed Taillon's contract, but it's an intriguing idea.

One such trade could be;

1. Cubs: Anderson + Estravez

2. Taillon (36mil over the next 2 years), Triantos, Gray and Mcgeary.  

21 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

An interesting name has emerged in trade discussions: Jameson Taillon. It appears the Cubs might be looking to offload his contract and see what's available on the market. This got me thinking: how about an Anderson + Estévez trade for Taillon (including his entire contract) and two top prospects? The feasibility of this deal would depend on how badly the Cubs want to shed Taillon's contract, but it's an intriguing idea.

One such trade could be;

Lol, what?  The Cubs are dead last in their division and 4 1/2 back in the Wild Card, with 4 other teams between them and the current Wild Card holders.  Why in the world would they do a trade like that to save a few bucks? 

8 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Lol, what?  The Cubs are dead last in their division and 4 1/2 back in the Wild Card, with 4 other teams between them and the current Wild Card holders.  Why in the world would they do a trade like that to save a few bucks? 

Actually, saving $18 million is far from 'a few bucks', it's a significant amount that can be redirected towards other parts of the team down the road. Being 4.5 games back in the NL Wild Card is still   manageable, plus they also have one of the more easier schedules left in the season.  By adding Anderson, who's performing similarly to Taillon but at a lower cost, and acquiring a lockdown closer in Estévez, the Cubs address a critical need in their bullpen. If you followed the Cubs closely, you'd know their late-inning bullpen struggles have been a key issue. This trade not only strengthens their pitching staff but also improves their financial flexibility. Sounds like a winning move to me, not something to laugh at.

The NL Wild Card isn't as strong as the AL Wild Card; last year, two 84-win teams made it, and this year looks similar. The Cubs are very much still in it, just like the D-backs last year, who made it to the World Series with 84 wins.

9 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Actually, saving $18 million is far from 'a few bucks', it's a significant amount that can be redirected towards other parts of the team down the road. Being 4.5 games back in the NL Wild Card is still   manageable, plus they also have one of the more easier schedules left in the season.  By adding Anderson, who's performing similarly to Taillon but at a lower cost, and acquiring a lockdown closer in Estévez, the Cubs address a critical need in their bullpen. If you followed the Cubs closely, you'd know their late-inning bullpen struggles have been a key issue. This trade not only strengthens their pitching staff but also improves their financial flexibility. Sounds like a winning move to me, not something to laugh at.

The NL Wild Card isn't as strong as the AL Wild Card; last year, two 84-win teams made it, and this year looks similar. The Cubs are very much still in it, just like the D-backs last year, who made it to the World Series with 84 wins.

I think it is something to laugh about.  There is no way a deal like that will happen.  Sorry, dude.

21 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

One such trade could be;

Doesn't make sense at this point in my opinion. Taillon is performing well right now. If they want to make a push for the playoffs then I could see them adding pieces, but they aren't going to trade away one of their main guys. 

That would be an off-season move. Or they could be sellers, but in that case they would be trading for prospects, not trading them away.

Edited by AngelsFanSince86
Grammar

43 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Good article at Baseball America on how many top-100 prospects have been traded at the deadline going back to 2014, just to give you an idea.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/how-many-top-100-prospects-will-be-traded-at-the-deadline/

Screenshot 2024-07-22 at 10.51.25 AM.png

Thank you for posting this. Hopefully, this will provide a reality check for folks wondering if or suggesting that the Angels might get back multiple top 100 prospects for packages involving Anderson, Estevez, and/or Ward. 

20 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

34 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Thank you for posting this. Hopefully, this will provide a reality check for folks wondering if or suggesting that the Angels might get back multiple top 100 prospects for packages involving Anderson, Estevez, and/or Ward. 

Every trade market is different though. This year there are very few clear sellers, way more fringe buyers, and at least on the position player side, very few options. 

I do think a lot of proposals here though are a little too optimistic.

At best, I do rally think Ward and Rengifo can each land a Top 100 guy pretty easily, though probably more in the 75-range at best. Controversial, but I would consider quantity over quality to a degree here. We simply need as many prospects as we can get for our farm, and I don’t think there’s a huge difference in a guy ranked #75 or a guy ranked #125, especially because I think Perry does well in scouting guys who will impact the club quickly. One guy ranked #75 and a lotto ticket or two to me isn’t as good as one or two guys ranked around #100, or one around #100, one around #150 and a higher-risk/reward lotto ticket. I think the odds are better we get more MLB impact with a return like that than one prospect ranked higher - because I don’t think either will get a true Top 50 prospect talent, and I think that’s the only tier that comes with something close to a guarantee. The extra years of control for Ward and Rengifo really boost their value.

I don’t think Anderson will land a Top 100. Way too many SP options on the market who are performing as well or better than him. I still think he’s more along the lines of a Syndergaard-plus return, or the Kyle Gibson to Philly deal a few years ago. A return of guys with upside but either some injury concerns or shine worn off, kind of like an Adell or Moniak.

Estévez might. He has simply been phenomenal, closers are always in demand, there are a ton of teams needing back-end pen help, and there isn’t a ton of supply unless teams like Oakland really make Mason Miller and other controllable RPs available.

If they deep sell, I think they could land up to two or three guys around #75-100, another one in the #125-#150 range, and a couple useful guys from vet relievers/Drury/Pillar. Coupled with the draft that would completely rebuild our Top 30 and while it wouldn’t bump the farm up from the bottom tier, it’d probably get from from #30 ranked to maybe the low #20s. Progress.

Edited by totdprods

Anderson isn't an untouchable but I'd be careful about trading him right now. 

They still field a team in 2025 and do need some veteran talent even while rebuilding. For leadership and experience. Anderson has been the only starter like that. 

But the risk is that next year could be like 2023. Great in 2022, poor in 2023, very good in 2024. 2025 at a year older on an expiring contract? 

If the deal is good then trade him. But at least get value in return. Not necessarily a high draft pick. But maybe a younger minor leaguer who has shown progress since being drafted and fits a position of need. Which is just about everywhere other than catcher, shortstop and arguably, first base. As well, a youngish  current roster player on another team who isn't playing regularly could be part of a multiplayer trade.

Preferably they get multiple players with at least decent potential upside. 

28 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

Anderson isn't an untouchable but I'd be careful about trading him right now. 

They still field a team in 2025 and do need some veteran talent even while rebuilding. For leadership and experience. Anderson has been the only starter like that. 

But the risk is that next year could be like 2023. Great in 2022, poor in 2023, very good in 2024. 2025 at a year older on an expiring contract? 

If the deal is good then trade him. But at least get value in return. Not necessarily a high draft pick. But maybe a younger minor leaguer who has shown progress since being drafted and fits a position of need. Which is just about everywhere other than catcher, shortstop and arguably, first base. As well, a youngish  current roster player on another team who isn't playing regularly could be part of a multiplayer trade.

Preferably they get multiple players with at least decent potential upside. 

I also think that if Anderson pitches at least decently well into next summer - not even as good as his ERA is - he’ll still probably be worth similar return next summer.

I just don’t think he’s garnering a solod return at all. Iffy metrics, his contract isn’t necessarily a plus, and there are a handful of other arms available pitching as good or better than him with more favorable contracts (Fedde, Kikuchi, Eflin)

11 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I mentioned in another thread I think, but the Red Sox are a good match as they could use either or both of Ward and Rengifo to balance their lineup. And I think we match up well.

They’ve got a handful of MLB-ready SPs (with varying degrees of value and availability) between Crawford, Houck, Bello, maybe Criswell (egh), Winckowski…and while they need SPs now, they also have a bunch of guys they can expect back next year in Mata, Murphy, Whitlock and perhaps Giolito, and that’s not taking into account any prospect depth. A lot of those MLB arms still have multiple years of control too, and seeing as how Sandoval and probably Canning are out next year (just a hunch Canning’s gonna need TJS too) the Halos really could use someone to immediately drop in rotation.

Could see the Halos pursuing one of those arms for Rengifo, or perhaps even the Angels adding Anderson in. Hell, I wouldn’t be surprised if they offered to take money and considered Yoshida as an expensive 4th OF for foreseeable future (Houck + Yoshida = Ward or Rengifo in value, according to trade simulator site) or even Giolito’s contract back to eat money from Boston (Halos have room, and Perry’s old boss Anthopoulos has been shown that eating money can be worth the prospect return for rebuilding before in Toronto and Atlanta) and bring back a good return.

Vaughan Grissom would also slot right in to 2B mix for the future too.