• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official (2024) Los Angeles Angels Trade Deadline Thread

Do you think Anderson brings back a comparable return next year if he’s pitching basically the exact same?

Acquiring team pays less money and don’t have to worry about him turning into a pumpkin, and he will have proven he’s able to out pitch his metrics over a season and a half (and that’s not terribly unusual for him).

I would move him in a heartbeat but I do think he isn’t generating much of a return and I do think there’s valid concern going into 2025 without his ability to eat innings and offer vet stability to the rotation. We might have a very young rotation (and bullpen) next year and Anderson is consistently going 6+ IP. Is a meager return worth the potential risk of overworking young arms in a rebuilding year?

Still hoping for something like Aaron Ashby and Garrett Mitchell/Joey Wiemer. Ashby has some long-term injury concerns and a very small contract extension he signed with Milwaukee that they may want to get out of. They’re loaded with OF prospects and can probably move one who has struggled/been injured to clear more playing time and a roster spot. Could probably dangle Drury or Guillermo or a reliever in the deal too, maybe pry back a low-level guy worth a tick too.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Do you think Anderson brings back a comparable return next year if he’s pitching basically the exact same?

Maybe, but it’s a big gamble that he’s pitching the exact same.

I would move him in a heartbeat but I do think he isn’t generating much of a return

We don’t know that.

Practically every contending team needs a SP. The supply isn’t abundant.

Teams is desperate need can’t be picky.

I think (or at least hope) the Angels are smart enough to realize that they couldn’t give this guy (and his contract) away for no return 11 months ago.

7 hours ago, BTH said:

Maybe, but it’s a big gamble that he’s pitching the exact same.

We don’t know that.

Practically every contending team needs a SP. The supply isn’t abundant.

Teams is desperate need can’t be picky.

I think (or at least hope) the Angels are smart enough to realize that they couldn’t give this guy (and his contract) away for no return 11 months ago.

Oh I’ve been hoping all along he pitches well enough to be dealt this summer. I think I said the same thing when we signed him…best time to deal him would be halfway through his deal because he’d ideally have peak value then, and I’ve been all about moving our players when they’re at peak trade value for much of the last decade.

The SP market is loaded this deadline though. Crochet and Skubal at the top. Flaherty, Kikuchi, Fedde and Eflin next tier. I might be missing a couple too. All present probably better metrics, impact, and/or contract that Anderson, and even though a lot of teams need SP they only have so many prospect bullets to use. I have no doubt he has interest. I’m just not sure teams are gonna offer enough to outweigh his potential utility for the Halos next season. 

I do think they will deal him, but there’s also a part of me that wouldn’t be surprised if they held him for that reason.

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

The SP market is loaded this deadline though. Crochet and Skubal at the top. Flaherty, Kikuchi, Fedde and Eflin next tier. I might be missing a couple too. All present probably better metrics, impact, and/or contract that Anderson, and even though a lot of teams need SP they only have so many prospect bullets to use. I have no doubt he has interest. I’m just not sure teams are gonna offer enough to outweigh his potential utility for the Halos next season. 

💯

On the flip side teams like the Orioles or Brewers may not want to deal a Jackson Holliday type or unload their entire farm for an every 5th day guy and decide to trade some mid tier guys instead for a Tyler Anderson type who is in that next tier.

I'd put Jack Flaherty in the top tier tbh and I'd have to say TA is ahead of Kikuchi, Fedde and Eflin currently. 

50 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Basically just says the Angels need to be aggressive at the deadline and explore getting rid of just the expiring contracts.  It ends with this:

"Crossing your fingers and hoping it all works out is not a viable strategy. Making smart, deliberate moves combined with honest self-reflection is how winning teams operate.

Minasian and his front office have done some great work in acquiring the start of a budding core. But the Angels are not the Baltimore Orioles, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Guardians, Tampa Bay Rays or Los Angeles Dodgers. There isn’t a line of players waiting in the wings.

Failing to capitalize on the emerging core, and failing to embrace a rebuild this trade deadline would be an unacceptable misstep.

So what’s it going to be? Will the Angels just talk about “growth”? Or will they actually prioritize it?"

52 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Basically just says the Angels need to be aggressive at the deadline and explore getting rid of just the expiring contracts.  It ends with this:

"Crossing your fingers and hoping it all works out is not a viable strategy. Making smart, deliberate moves combined with honest self-reflection is how winning teams operate.

Minasian and his front office have done some great work in acquiring the start of a budding core. But the Angels are not the Baltimore Orioles, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Guardians, Tampa Bay Rays or Los Angeles Dodgers. There isn’t a line of players waiting in the wings.

Failing to capitalize on the emerging core, and failing to embrace a rebuild this trade deadline would be an unacceptable misstep.

So what’s it going to be? Will the Angels just talk about “growth”? Or will they actually prioritize it?"

Thanks bud 

21 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

The article honesty was quite redundant. It just reiterated what everyone already knows: the Angels need to sell and bolster their prospects

But does "everybody" include Moreno and Perry? That's the question.

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

💯

On the flip side teams like the Orioles or Brewers may not want to deal a Jackson Holliday type or unload their entire farm for an every 5th day guy and decide to trade some mid tier guys instead for a Tyler Anderson type who is in that next tier.

I'd put Jack Flaherty in the top tier tbh and I'd have to say TA is ahead of Kikuchi, Fedde and Eflin currently. 

The only reason I didn’t put Flaherty at the top was because he’s a FA unlike Crochet and Skubal. I really had hoped we’d sign Flaherty last winter but whatever.

• Anderson: 2.97 ERA, 4.60 FIP, 1.17 WHIP in 118 IP/19 GS, under contract $13m in 2025
  • Fedde: 2.99 ERA, 3.53 FIP, 1.13 WHIP in 111.1 IP/19 GS, under contract $7.5m in 2025
  • Eflin: 3.99 ERA, 3.66 FIP, 1.12 WHIP in 99.1 IP/17 GS, under contract $18m in 2025
  • Kikuchi: 4.42 ERA, 3.68 FIP, 1.30 WHIP in 106 IP/20 GS, free agent at end of 2024

I don’t know that I can say Anderson is ahead of any of those guys. They’re all pretty even. Anderson is a lefty like Kikuchi. Anderson’s FIP and performance last year would have me much more worried about him in 2024-2025 than the others. He feels like the likeliest to regress and then the team has him on the hook for next year.

Fedde doesn’t have the track record but he’s the cheapest and controlled another year. Easiest to take a risk on. Eflin is the most expensive, but had a very steady track record - when healthy - and good metrics to back it up. Kikuchi is maybe the least reliable and ‘worst’ of the group, but metrics like him and you don’t have to worry about him next year.

Overall, I would say their value is almost identical on the trade market. Maybe the AL East teams don’t want to help Baltimore or Tampa, and that might be the best edge for the Halos. Anderson seems to have a little more vet craftiness/savvy to lean on. But they’re remarkably similar in trade value, IMO.

Also, if Texas decides to sell, Eovaldi, Heaney, and maybe even Gray or Scherzer clog the market even more.

Edited by totdprods

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

The only reason I didn’t put Flaherty at the top was because he’s a FA unlike Crochet and Skubal. I really had hoped we’d sign Flaherty last winter but whatever.

• Anderson: 2.97 ERA, 4.60 FIP, 1.17 WHIP in 118 IP/19 GS, under contract $13m in 2025
  • Fedde: 2.99 ERA, 3.53 FIP, 1.13 WHIP in 111.1 IP/19 GS, under contract $7.5m in 2025
  • Eflin: 3.99 ERA, 3.66 FIP, 1.12 WHIP in 99.1 IP/17 GS, under contract $18m in 2025
  • Kikuchi: 4.42 ERA, 3.68 FIP, 1.30 WHIP in 106 IP/20 GS, free agent at end of 2024

I don’t know that I can say Anderson is ahead of any of those guys. They’re all pretty even. Anderson is a lefty like Kikuchi. Anderson’s FIP and performance last year would have me much more worried about him in 2024-2025 than the others. He feels like the likeliest to regress and then the team has him on the hook for next year.

Fedde doesn’t have the track record but he’s the cheapest and controlled another year. Easiest to take a risk on. Eflin is the most expensive, but had a very steady track record - when healthy - and good metrics to back it up. Kikuchi is maybe the least reliable and ‘worst’ of the group, but metrics like him and you don’t have to worry about him next year.

I know that the thinking has changed on this over the past decade, but does Anderson get any extra value for his "innings eater" status?  Seems like to a team that has a young, talented, but inefficient staff he would be a valuable guy to have around just for resting the bullpen more often than not on his turn in the rotation. It's part of the argument that people give for why the Angels should hang on to him. So does that translate to value for another team as well? Or could it?

Edited by halodground

Also FWIW I have some weird gut feeling we potentially buy someone like Eflin or Fedde, maybe clearing out Paris and Kochanowicz. Have also thought about some sort of 1:1 with Boston regarding Rengifo or Ward for an arm. Maybe they assume Yoshida’s contract as a way to get back one of their SPs who have a few years of control. Red Sox need offense from the right side of the plate, and both Ward and Rengifo come in around 11 on the trade simulator site, which is the same as Houck + Yoshida. 

If the Angels do decide to sell more and deal off Rengifo and or Ward and prioritize MLB-ready guys, the 40-man is a little full, especially with some redundant guys like Stefanic and Paris and Daniel, Mederos Kochanowicz. The guys we get back in trades, and even some guys we just drafted like Cortez and Moore, might fit into the depth charts not far behind where those guys are. Angels have the capacity to eat money, so if the SP market is clogged I could see them getting a head-start on FA essentially by offloading somewhat redundant guys like Paris and Daniel to Tampa for Eflin. It also could then domino the SP market some and loosen it, allowing Anderson’s suitors to pick up the pace.

Edited by totdprods

Also FWIW I have some weird gut feeling we potentially buy someone like Eflin or Fedde, maybe clearing out Paris and Kochanowicz. Have also thought about some sort of 1:1 with Boston regarding Rengifo or Ward for an arm. Maybe they assume Yoshida’s contract as a way to get back one of their SPs who have a few years of control. Red Sox need offense from the right side of the plate, and both Ward and Rengifo come in around 11 on the trade simulator site, which is the same as Houck + Yoshida. 

If the Angels do decide to sell more and deal off Rengifo and or Ward and prioritize MLB-ready guys, the 40-man is a little full, especially with some redundant guys like Stefanic and Paris and Daniel, Mederos Kochanowicz. The guys we get back in trades, and even some guys we just drafted like Cortez and Moore, might fit into the depth charts not far behind where those guys are. Angels have the capacity to eat money, so if the SP market is clogged I could see them getting a head-start on FA essentially by offloading somewhat redundant guys like Paris and Daniel to Tampa for Eflin. It also could then domino the SP market some and loosen it, allowing Anderson’s suitors to pick up the pace.

Clearing a little 40 man room would also sllow them to immediately call up a couple of the emerging relievers in AA who aren’t on the 40 man (like Darrell-Hicks and Seig)?

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’m just curious. He’s 25. 

And a free agent after next year.  Doesn't really make sense as an Angels target.  I don't really buy into the "that would give them an advantage in signing him to a long-term contract" stuff.