• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official (2024) Los Angeles Angels Trade Deadline Thread

The reality is, like it or not, it’s up to Arte how this deadline proceeds, because Arte is the only one that really knows how the 2025 season is gonna shape up.

Is this Perry’s last year? If so, Arte might not want Perry blowing up what little there is of this team for the next GM to work with. If it’s not Perry’s last year, what’s the plan for this year and next? Are they rebuilding? Do they want to compete next year? If they do, you can’t blow things up - and knowing if they want to compete next year comes back to Arte, because it will take offseason spending to supplement what’s here.

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

referenced it in another post, but he isn’t very different from where Brandon Marsh was when we dealt him for O’Hoppe.

Schanuel’s gonna be less valuable than Marsh though because of position.

Teams can find a 90 wRC+ 1B with untapped potential. They can’t find a plus defensive CF with speed and offensive upside.

38 minutes ago, BTH said:

Schanuel’s gonna be less valuable than Marsh though because of position.

Teams can find a 90 wRC+ 1B with untapped potential. They can’t find a plus defensive CF with speed and offensive upside.

I don’t disagree with that, as I said Marsh was more valuable due to his defense and position. That also doesn’t mean Schanuel doesn’t still have some value though. It just means they shouldn’t expect another O’Hoppe as a return.  I also don’t think an acquiring team would be necessarily getting him because of his current offensive output (which, also, I highly doubt he’s going to be a 90 wRC guy the next few years, he’s on track to be above 100 by end of year) but rather because of the years of control, the fact he can step right into the lineup and a particular offensive profile that as mentioned is atypical from most hitters these days. A team that is prone to strikeouts and making contact, but has surplus power and speed, could value what Schanuel brings. He’s still a specialized offensive player, even if it’s one that has some issues. It’s hard finding players that young who are already capable of knowing the zone as well he does.

For someone as green as Schanuel, and someone who has “struggled” as much as he has, he’s still sporting some pretty great metrics when it comes to discipline and making contact, and Savant is starting to like his defense too. 

Back to the years of control, that’s why I mentioned particularly budget-conscious teams like Pittsburgh or Tampa. Pittsburgh has struggled to fill 1B for a couple seasons now, they don’t have any real imminent 1B prospects, they’re a decent young team with some power and speed but lack contact and discipline, they’re notoriously shrewd and they have a good number of close-to-majors starters with some upside, enough to dangle someone like Harrington or Ashcroft for Schanuel. If the Angels had selected Kurtz, it would make sense to have him at 1B next year and have one of those arms replace Sandoval or Anderson in the rotation.

Does anyone here subscribe to that baseball trade value site? Can’t believe they made that site a subscription.. anyway  I was curious what the combined value would be if we put Anderson and Estevez in a trade together. Could we get a team like the Orioles or Brewers to give us two of their top 10-12ish prospects??

2 hours ago, Ochocinco! said:

Does anyone here subscribe to that baseball trade value site? Can’t believe they made that site a subscription.. anyway  I was curious what the combined value would be if we put Anderson and Estevez in a trade together. Could we get a team like the Orioles or Brewers to give us two of their top 10-12ish prospects??

Trading those 2 together would definitely get us the most bang for our buck, but I still have my doubts that Arte will let Perry trade Anderson with a year left.

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

Trading those 2 together would definitely get us the most bang for our buck, but I still have my doubts that Arte will let Perry trade Anderson with a year left.

Hoping drafting Prager maybe helps, as I think the biggest reason to hold Anderson was to help cover innings next year. 

Ideally they get a MLB SP for Rengifo or Ward but with both being banged up and Ward sucking that makes dealing them unlikelier, which makes keeping Anderson more plausible. 

I feel that if Perry/Arte do not trade Anderson and Esteves they are seriously doing the team and the fans a disservice Anderson will not get any higher trade value then he has right now and to think that he will repeat this performance next year is a reach, could it happen sure but likely nope. And as far as Carlos he is one blown save/bad outting from cratering what trade value he has. I hope they have already reached out to every team with a list of what we would like at least to see if any fish bite. Take what you can get wish these guys well and move on. Keep Renjeifo he has way more value to this team and next years team then anything your gettingback in a trade. My 2 cents 

16 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

I wish we could say the same about Anderson also 🤷

Yea I am assuming he will be traded. I know I’d try to trade him. But as @Blarg points out we will need to find 320 innings in the rotation next year without Sandoval and Anderson. So I wouldn’t be surprised if they aren’t blown away with an offer if they kept him. I guess I’d rather have him take the mound next year than get a minimal package for him. 

Just now, Stradling said:

Yea I am assuming he will be traded. I know I’d try to trade him. But as @Blarg points out we will need to find 320 innings in the rotation next year without Sandoval and Anderson. So I wouldn’t be surprised if they aren’t blown away with an offer if they kept him. I guess I’d rather have him take the mound next year than get a minimal package for him. 

I'm not sure the pundits who are minimizing Anderson's trade value are correct....I still think a contender will offer a good package for him, particularly if he has a couple of good starts before the deadline....but if the pundits are right, I wouldn't have any problem keeping him.  He can be a cost efficient innings eater for next year.  

Just now, DMVol said:

I'm not sure the pundits who are minimizing Anderson's trade value are correct....I still think a contender will offer a good package for him, particularly if he has a couple of good starts before the deadline....but if the pundits are right, I wouldn't have any problem keeping him.  He can be a cost efficient innings eater for next year.  

If they don’t trade him then the narrative will be “The Angels were offered a haul and they turned it down because Perry is fat and Arte doesn’t care”. 

9 hours ago, totdprods said:

Hoping drafting Prager maybe helps, as I think the biggest reason to hold Anderson was to help cover innings next year. 

Ideally they get a MLB SP for Rengifo or Ward but with both being banged up and Ward sucking that makes dealing them unlikelier, which makes keeping Anderson more plausible. 

Anderson is 34. He'll be 35 for all of next season.

The rotation for next year will include Detmers, Canning (almost assuredly), Soriano, and then of Dana, and hopefully a free agent signee. Silseth, Koch, Daniel, Rosenberg, are 6-9.

Given Ward's struggles, trading him doesn’t make sense right now. I'd keep Rengifo, who’s valuable as a switch hitter. I’d offer him a 5-year, $70 million extension to cover some of his arbitration years.

Right now, I’d focus on trading Anderson and Estévez for the best return, even if it means eating some salary. We've added some good pitching depth, so now we should aim to bring in at least two solid offensive players, even if they’re not top 100 prospects.

4 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Little side contest:

Name minimum three Angels that get traded and the order they get traded.  Let’s see who nails their prediction.

Anderson

Estévez

García

Although it's weird to say, I don't see an offer for Anderson meeting the value.  His metrics aren't there.

Esteves and Garcia for me.

I could see Moore/Pillar, but either would bring back an absolute shot in the dark.

I'll be surprised if it's more, or anyone else for that matter, than that.